News Nvidia and AMD GPU Oversupply to Last Until Summer - Report

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
The market is flooded with GPUs, and Jon Peddie Research says the oversupply won't be over for a while. Read more here.
newegg.png

MATTHEW CONNATSER
@Talpss177

Matthew Connatser is a Contributing Writer for Tom's Hardware US. He covers hardware component news.

Reactions: MrN1ce9uy

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I think AMD weathered better because they knew what was coming later. They had the same experience with the HD5k.
I think the prices are a bit weird. You are looking at the RX 580 8GB at around $189, while the RX 580 4GB is over $230. The Polaris cards of course being the most popular for the crypto miners.

The launch price of the GTX 1060 6GB was US$249 - so I hardly see a great deal getting a GPU that debuted in July 2016 (almost 3 years old now) for a $30-$40 discount (i.e. about 15% off). The GTX 1060 3GB is even worse - given it had a launch price of US$199 thus making today's "deals" still worse than 3 years ago. Most of these GPUs are at best merely back to slightly less than the regular old retail prices as opposed to the massively over-inflated cryptocurrency boom pricing - which actually still makes them wildly overpriced!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series#GeForce_10_(10xx)_series

Stop trying to sustain these inflated prices. This is why they are over stocked. Some people need to learn to let go.

And I'm not just talking about computer hardware. That's for you lot still lurking about.

LordofAllClouds

Honorable
Mar 16, 2014
As everyone else has already pointed out, the prices are embarassingly bad. You look at this article's headline, then go over to newegg and see prices for two year old 2nd tier Pascal cards higher than the top tier Maxwell (980 TI) was AT LAUNCH PRICE. PATHETIC. I'm sitting on my 760 and I'll continue to do so until they wake up and realize that the crypto-BS is OVER.

Reactions: Kridian

compprob237

Distinguished
You can buy a used GTX 970 (a little weaker than a GTX 1060 3GB) for about $60-$125. Until the GTX 1060 3GB, new, is about that price (maybe +$25-$40) then they're a rip-off. They're currently $220 ($55-$70 too high) for an almost OK model.

Bring the prices down, Nvidia, and then you will start seeing devices being purchased.

Jan 4, 2019
AMD seems to have no problem selling every Radeon 7!! AMD.com has them in stock again.
Amd and nvidias supply chain logistics and inventory structures are so different from each other as to be 100% incomparable. it is David vs goliath, even though Nvidias longterm forecast does not look good 5 years from now