[SOLVED] Nvidia and AMD Graphic Drivers installed at the same time?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Will I see any performance loss with both an Nvidia graphics driver and an AMD graphics driver installed at the same time? I like to switch cards out occasionally and this makes it easier.

Solution
The driver is just one part. When the drivers are installed other files and registry entries get written and tied to programs and APIs. If those are there it can cause issue.

I have almost never seen a multiple card setup with different GPU brands. Normally someone will have two or three of the same brand GPUs. The only reason to do this is if they are trying to get more than the maximum monitors. Say they want 6 monitors having two will allow that.

But again I have never seen someone throw a GT1030 and a RX550 into the same system. They would normally use two GT 1030s as there will be less potential issues with drivers.
You absolutely could see performance loss. There are certain files and registry links created for drievrs and with others installed if it points to the wrong one it could cause anything from performance issues to crashing in games. Its the entire reason why nVidia has a clean install option for their drivers and why DDU even exists.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
But the other driver would never load. How can an unloaded driver cause any issues?

And what about systems that use more than one card for multiple monitors? Those drivers actually load and are in use.

The driver is just one part. When the drivers are installed other files and registry entries get written and tied to programs and APIs. If those are there it can cause issue.

I have almost never seen a multiple card setup with different GPU brands. Normally someone will have two or three of the same brand GPUs. The only reason to do this is if they are trying to get more than the maximum monitors. Say they want 6 monitors having two will allow that.

But again I have never seen someone throw a GT1030 and a RX550 into the same system. They would normally use two GT 1030s as there will be less potential issues with drivers.

Last edited:
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
But the other driver would never load. How can an unloaded driver cause any issues?

And what about systems that use more than one card for multiple monitors? Those drivers actually load and are in use.

And are constantly a problem.

Who is doing this anyway? In 35 years I've seen this exactly one time, by a person who thought they were SLI-ing the two GPUs and the second wasn't actually connected to anything in any way. The use case for this has to be very unusual to make a lick of sense.

Reactions: Phaaze88