Nvidia and DX12?

Nikko G

Honorable
Aug 25, 2015
So I keep on thinking about this and whether or not I wasted my money, but I recently bought an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 which is serving fine and dandy here in DX11. That is until I read some news regarding Nvidia has trouble with Maxwell working with DX12 and not performing as well as AMD. Will GTX 970 have support for DX12? Should I just switch to an AMD card if I want DX12 support? I enjoy the good things that come with Nvidia such as the recording software and all that, but even that is not worth more than performance, and with some benchmarks showing a 290 matching a 980 ti I'm worried I just wasted cash on this 970 if something like a 380 will be matching its performance in DX12. :(

Solution
Nvidia has slated the 9xx series for *full* DX12 compatibility at release. Now whether any future DX12 updates will still be compatible with Maxwell (or AMD's variants) is unknown. If you have been told that the Maxwell cards will not fully support DX12 you have been told wrong.

Now likely some cards will work better than others with DX12 depending on games, just like today with DX11 (Nvidia works better with Project Cars than AMD, but AMD works better than Nvidia in Battlefield Hardline as two examples).

Hope that helps! FYI I have two 970s in SLI.
Nvidia has slated the 9xx series for *full* DX12 compatibility at release. Now whether any future DX12 updates will still be compatible with Maxwell (or AMD's variants) is unknown. If you have been told that the Maxwell cards will not fully support DX12 you have been told wrong.

Now likely some cards will work better than others with DX12 depending on games, just like today with DX11 (Nvidia works better with Project Cars than AMD, but AMD works better than Nvidia in Battlefield Hardline as two examples).

Hope that helps! FYI I have two 970s in SLI.

Solution
DirectX 12 performance is pretty speculative right now. All we really have for DirectX 12 at the moment is an AMD sponsored game in Early Access (Ashes of the Singularity) where AMD naturally has a big advantage and some early benchmarks from Fable Legends where performance is much more even. We're going to have some actual DirectX 12 games coming later this year, and that will probably give us a better idea on how DirectX 12 will effect things.