News Nvidia and Microsoft Announce 10-Year GeForce Now Partnership

colossusrage

Prominent
Jun 8, 2022
Nvidia starts reducing the performance per dollar gained year over year and slowly increases GPU prices every year. The only segment that sees significant gains are high end cards that cost over $1000. The remainder of the line up sees a 10-20% improvement with a 10-20% increase in price. Cheaper cards see the least performance improvement, but keep pricing at above $300. Seems to me that Nvidia is slowly trying to phase out GPUs below $1000 to get subscription based GPUs via cloud service.

Reactions: Thunder64

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I tried Gefore Now for a month. It sucked because of the limited hours "session" system that throws you into a queue.

I use Shadow PC now, which just gives you full 24/7 access to your personal PC, it's a much better service. It also doesn't restrict you to certain games, you can run anything you want.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I have never tried Gforce Now. It seems like you would have significant a significant delay between when you move your controller and when you see it happen on screen. (Like when using some emulators and cheap Retro Consoles). It must be working because people like it. Is there a delay?

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I have never tried Gforce Now. It seems like you would have significant a significant delay between when you move your controller and when you see it happen on screen. (Like when using some emulators and cheap Retro Consoles). It must be working because people like it. Is there a delay?
Sure there is a delay but it's really no different than the delay inherent in online multiplayer games

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Compared to other cloud gaming providers geforce now has the best experience as far as latency and picture quality go IME. There is a delay but it ok for some types of game play, FPS less so but not totally ruled out either if its not to fast paced.

i can run anything on my comp i want, still no need for shadow PC :D
:D:D
Can you play a game on your couch in the living room from the PC in your bed room?!
If you have a tablet (or any device) and shadow PC you can play it with the same settings and quality as you gaming PC does but you don't have to be sitting right in front of it.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Can you play a game on your couch in the living room from the PC in your bed room?!
If you have a tablet (or any device) and shadow PC you can play it with the same settings and quality as you gaming PC does but you don't have to be sitting right in front of it.
why would i do that ? makes no sense. how would i play a game that needs a keyboard and mouse on my tablet , or a tv?? apples to oranges comparison. and a moot point, nice try

why would i do that ? makes no sense. how would i play a game that needs a keyboard and mouse on my tablet , or a tv?? apples to oranges comparison. and a moot point, nice try
There are extremely few games that need k+m mainly strategy and sim games, what about everything else? Just because you need k+m for those you shut yourself out of playing anything else?!
Also if it's not for you that's ok, I'm not using it either, but there are more than enough people out there that do use it otherwise it wouldn't exist.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
i have access to my personal comp 24/7, with no need for shadow pc :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Being able to access a high-powered PC anywhere in the world, with files that are remote and no one can take from you, is extremely useful.

You can carry around a tiny $200 latptop, and access a $2,000 PC, anywhere in the world.

Shadow PC is extremely useful for lots of things. If you for example want to test something on PC, run experimental software, or software you don't fully trust. Normally this requires using a virtual machine on your PC. With Shadow you can completely mess up your Shadow PC and software. Just reset the Shadow PC and you get a clean OS again.

Say you want to run some emulator software. Not all this software is safe. Just run it on the shadow PC, and it's now completely safe. If you get malware on the shadow PC, who cares, just reset the shadow PC.

Say you want to try out a bunch of Linux distros? Well, just use Shadow PC, no need to use your own PC for that or waste your time with virtual machines.

If you want to teach someone how to use a PC, but are affraid they might actually delete your files or worse. Well, just give them access to the shadow PC, who cares if they mess something up, just reset the shadow PC.

Last edited:
I wonder if Microsoft would have the marbles to make the next XBox nVidia-based. I don't think MS has the marbles.

Regards.
What is your reasoning for even thinking that they would even consider doing that?!
I mean what would be the point for MS to make the next xbox nvidia?

MS is waiting for the infrastructure to finally "get there" so that they can make the xbox an app on the windows store, and then it won't matter what gpu you have. Stadia showed that we still have some way to go until that can happen.

What is your reasoning for even thinking that they would even consider doing that?!
I mean what would be the point for MS to make the next xbox nvidia?

MS is waiting for the infrastructure to finally "get there" so that they can make the xbox an app on the windows store, and then it won't matter what gpu you have. Stadia showed that we still have some way to go until that can happen.
The original XBox was a derivative Pentium 4 and GeForce 4600ti platform, if I am not mistaken. Also, it would tie in better with what MS wants to do long term, as you say: game streaming using the XB-pass. Remember nVidia developed video upscaling using "AI". Maybe now you can see why they may have devoted resources to do that?

If Microsoft is going to power their "cloud gaming" with nVidia, it would make sense for me to just tie in the whole thing, otherwise they'll do a halfhearted attempt at it IMO.

Regards.

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
This theory that Nvidia wants to push people to the cloud because they will make more money isn't really what is going on imo. Nvidia is just one of many cloud services, there are far more price competitive services like Boosteroid.

Nvidia is not the big winner of cloud gaming, in fact they could end up being the big loser if these cloud gaming platforms start to use custom chips.

Nvidia has cloud services because they are forced to compete, not because they want to compete.

For something like indie games, the cloud will never make sense. You can install Stardew Valley on pretty much any cheap PC.

But the majority of PC gamers can not afford to keep up with upgrading their PC. The most used GPU on Steam are still the 4GB 1650 and 1050. The average PC gamer has fallen off the wagon so to say, they have simply stopped upgrading PC due to financial reasons.

For that massive audience, cloud gaming makes tons of sense.

A service like Boosteroid cloud gaming is like $7 a month. You could play a decade on that service, and still come out cheaper than buying a gaming PC.

This theory that Nvidia wants to push people to the cloud because they will make more money isn't really what is going on imo. Nvidia is just one of many cloud services, there are far more price competitive services like Boosteroid.

Nvidia is not the big winner of cloud gaming, in fact they could end up being the big losers if these cloud gaming platforms start to use custom chips.

For something like indie games, the cloud will never make sense. You can install Stardew Valley on pretty much any cheap PC.

But the majority of PC gamers can not afford to keep up with upgrading their PC. The most used GPU on Steam are still the 4GB 1650 and 1050. The average PC gamer has fallen off the wagon so to say, they have simply stopped upgrading PC due to financial reasons.

For that massive audience, cloud gaming makes tons of sense.

A service like Boosteroid cloud gaming is like $7 a month. You could play a decade on that service, and still come out cheaper than buying a gaming PC.
It is not nVidia. It is Google (although they failed, kind of), Microsoft, Sony and at some point Nintendo.

This is also, maybe, why nVidia wants to take a bit of distance to the "gaming market" and rely on it way less financially? They definitely know something we don't.

I'm not saying the PC market will die per se, but it is clear to me the margins nVidia wants/needs to stay afloat may not be in it anymore? Or they are trying their hardest to pull the margins up as much as they can, since AMD is hardly competition and Intel is a fart in the wind (for gaming GPUs).

Regards.

If Microsoft is going to power their "cloud gaming" with nVidia, it would make sense for me to just tie in the whole thing, otherwise they'll do a halfhearted attempt at it IMO.

Regards.
I think that type of cloud gaming will only be an option and not forced on you, if you have a decent enough system you will be able to play on your home PC with game pass.
For MS renting out games to a cloud service like nvidia' doesn't cost them anything, or am I wrong there?! All MS is doing is getting royalties for their games without having to do anything themselves, and cloud based means there is no way for pirating so even more money for them.

Also:
"Microsoft said this is just the first in a series of partnerships to get its games supported on a variety of cloud streaming services. In the future, Microsoft hopes to have its games supported on multiple streaming platforms, including Boosteriod, Ubitus, EE, and Nward."

I think that type of cloud gaming will only be an option and not forced on you, if you have a decent enough system you will be able to play on your home PC with game pass.
For MS renting out games to a cloud service like nvidia' doesn't cost them anything, or am I wrong there?! All MS is doing is getting royalties for their games without having to do anything themselves, and cloud based means there is no way for pirating so even more money for them.

Also:
"Microsoft said this is just the first in a series of partnerships to get its games supported on a variety of cloud streaming services. In the future, Microsoft hopes to have its games supported on multiple streaming platforms, including Boosteriod, Ubitus, EE, and Nward."
You're not wrong, but I don't think you're seeing the possibilities.

There's a reason MS bought Acti-Blizz and there's other big publishers/devs being bought by Sony as well: they want to consolidate and stablish more "games as a service" and, quite literally, not even allow you to buy them and use them for free and squeeze money out of you in other more creative ways. Cloud gaming, as a concept, ties in to the "games as a service" model in the best of ways.

As for the fact you can use it anywhere? Well, as long as they allow you to. What would forbid Microsoft to force you to use Windows only, or their console exclusively to access these services? I know it sounds ludicrous right now, but most stupid things that have already happened in the last decade were considered ludicrous 30 or 40 years ago.

These mammoths play the long game, just remember that.

In any case, I'll stop here; I need to put my tinfoil hat down for today :D

Regards.