[SOLVED] Nvidia, and Screen Tearing

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018
I have a 144hz 1440p monitor, I have been having screen tearing when I dip below 144fps and that was the effect of not having g sync or anything like that avaliable. I heard that Nvidia is releasing G sync to current non g sync monitors in a driver update. My display is freesync. Am I finally going to be able to play 144hz with no screen tearing? Will the upgrade be avaliable for my monitor? Why don't I get screen tearing when I go above 144fps? I know that's good but why?

Solution
Looks like the only AOC monitor confirmed is the AG241QG4
https://www.pcgamer.com/g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors/

While I can't find a product page for it, the images I find for it would indicate it's the same (regional variant, maybe?) as the AG241QX.
http://us.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/ag241qx

I would assume you'd have a pretty good chance of being at least 'mostly' compatible.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the monitor. Of the hundreds of FreeSync panels tested, there were only a handful that fully met the G-Sync requirements.

For monitors that don't fully meet spec, there's a variety of issues that can occur.

Best case: G-Sync will work on your monitor when it comes.
Worst case: You're no further behind.

As for "why", what kind of frame rates are you seeing? Anything from 1-143FPS is "below 144Hz".......... similarly, it'll depend how out of sync your frames are with your panel. When you're above 144Hz, are you at 145FPS? Or 200FPS?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

Im ususally around 170 when above 144

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks like the only AOC monitor confirmed is the AG241QG4
https://www.pcgamer.com/g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors/

While I can't find a product page for it, the images I find for it would indicate it's the same (regional variant, maybe?) as the AG241QX.
http://us.aoc.com/en/gaming/products/ag241qx

I would assume you'd have a pretty good chance of being at least 'mostly' compatible.

Solution

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

thank you guys, we will see what happens tomorrow when the update comes out! btw will it break my components if it is not compatible.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No. It's a matter of being enabled or disabled.

If yours is 100% approved, the driver will default to "enabled", if not, it's disabled.

Worst case scenario, you'll have some artifacting or something.... if that happens, you just select disable.

Screen tearing doesn't happen because you dip below the monitor's refresh rate. Screen tearing happens all the time unless by coincidence your graphics card happens to finish drawing a frame exactly when the screen refreshes (which is almost never).

Normally the large (and variable) difference between framerate and refresh rate means the graphics card finishes drawing a frame at random points in the image. So the tear line will jump all over the screen making it hard to see. But as your frame rate approaches the refresh rate, the movement of the tear line gradually switches from jumping all over the screen to a slow crawl. That's because at 145 fps, the video card draws an addition 1/145th of a screen each time the monitor refreshes. So the tear line slowly advances down 1/145th of the screen each refresh (meaning it takes a little over 1 second for the tear line to travel down the entire screen). Same thing at 143 fps, except the tear line moves slowly up the screen.

So unless you have v-sync on, or have a G-sync or Freesync monitor, there will always be tearing. How visible it is will depend on how sensitive your eyes are to it, and how close the framerate and refresh rate are to a ratio of two integers. (The effect most pronounced at 1:1, 2:1, 3:1, etc, less so at 3:2, 5:2, 7:2, etc, even less at 4:3, 5:3, 7:3, 8:3, etc, and so on. It's actually the same thing that makes musical chords - the frequencies of the notes in a chord are integer ratios making them harmonize with each other.)

So if you're seeing a lot of tearing and your framerate is close to 144 fps, you can try dropping your monitor's refresh rate down to 120 Hz if it supports it. That should be enough of a difference to sufficiently randomize the location of the tear lines so it's less visible (5:6 ratio, meaning a tear line at exactly 144 fps will advance over 20% of the screen each refresh). Acoustic engineers do this sort of stuff all the time to reduce the noise profile of computer fans, prevent jet engines from shaking themselves apart, etc.

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

yeah, screen tearing happens when my monitor and graphics card dont run at the same speed so I get screen tearing. Do you guys know which monitor setting s are best for the eyes? I see Low blue light settings, gamma settings, which are best at what setting?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

my screen says I have the compatible monitor ag241qg4 but when I turned g sync on, it didn't work in games, I tried going to 60 fps but there is still the same amount of screeen stuttering, what do I do?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from tunatuna302 : "G Sync not working on supported monitor"

is not g-sync but driver up for freesync support
https://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/126431-nvidia-geforce-driver-freesync-support-lands/

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

so I checked nvidia's new supported list and here is what I didn't understand: first of all, my monitor is advertised as agon ag241qx but my display shows up as ag241qg4 on windows 10. Nvidia's list says ag241qg4 is supported. I tried turning g sync on, and it was automated on when I downloaded the driver. I then checked the settings then fired up games but it didn't work. I searched up how to turn on g sync and found what was wrong. The vertical sync option wasn't set to g sync. I then opened vertical sync in nvidia control panel, but there was no g sync option. I am still wondering, did I do something wrong or is my monitor is not supported?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

"It’s also important to note that FreeSync has to be enabled on the monitor itself (usually using the on-screen menu). Some monitors have a toggle that allows you to turn FreeSync or adaptive sync on or off, you’ll need to set it to ‘on’ to get the option to enable adaptive sync." it says that freesync is required on for adaptive sync to work so g sync would work. I tried to find the adaptive or freesync setting on the osd of my monitor but nothing. The only other way I know to turn on free sync is get radeon settings, which requires a radeon card to download. Also, another question, my monitor is advertised as ag241qx, but shows up as ag241qg4 on nvidia control panel and windows, why is that? Btw it shows as g sync supported so I should be able to somehow use g sync on this monitor with my rtx 2070, can you help?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

do you know how I can turn on. freesync without using the radeon settings, because the instructions to use g sync on the new driver update is to must have freesync turned on. But I have an Nvidia gpu and my monitor osd doesn’t have a freesync on, off switch, what do I do?

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

so there has been a weird thing where it brought me believing my monitor is actually not supported because of the names. The name it is advertised is ag241qx and shows up as ag241qg4 on nvidia control panel and windows. so I believe my monitor should be one of the 12 out of 400. the only thing I can’t do right now is enable freesync as said in the tutorial rgd1101 posted. take a look: https://www.techspot.com/article/1779-freesync-and-nvidia-geforce/

tunatuna302

Notable
Aug 9, 2018

I was directed to amd from aoc, and nvidia from amd. After a lot of talking, we couldn't find a solution for now, but here is my question: my monitor is g sync compatible and now I've figured out it turns on free sync automatically when I turn on g sync. Why doesn't it work? Are there specific 3d settings in Nvidia Control Panel?