Nvidia Announces $141 Million Net Loss in Q2FY11

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]jackfrost860[/nom]SLI two GTX460 cards and get more performance than a single GTX480, and the single GTX480 is more expensive than two GTX460 you know the sales department at nVidia stuffed up big time; Consumers aren’t fools (unless you think like Apple)[/citation]
... but even apple haz just ATi in the new lineup of iMac's...

If you listen to investment advisors you would see they were all say to but nvidia just a month or two ago. I knew with the excessive heat and power of the new cards and the fact that they don't have very good pricing would mean that now is NOT a good time to buy nVidia. Personally I think they need to rethink how much people are willing to pay for a video card. (I just bought a 4870 for $80) Lets see a GTX 260 pull off a price like that! (It won't happen until nVidia changes it's attitude.

[citation][nom]tethoma[/nom]I put 5k in NVDA when it was 16$ a share. It is now worth 9$ a share, I am pissed. I will ride out the **** storm, but I am apparently horrible in picking good company's to invest in. Sigh.[/citation]
Ignore what advisors say. Pay attention to forums and comment sections on article like this one and you would have know that the currently public opinion of nVidia is that they are slipping due to high prices and cards that are too hot and consume to much power. They have priced themselves out of the market which means they won't sell as many, which in turn means that stock will go down. As I said in my comment above I didn't buy nVidia and I felt that advisors were ignorat for reccommending them. My thought was buy ATI but since they are owned by AMD and AMD processors aren't as fast as the new iCore processors I knew that AMD's stock wouldn't nessisarily jump either.

smile9999

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
people keep forgetting that the 6 series of ATI will not offer anything new but some tweaking, nvidia will have time to get back in the game with their next generation,
although I am now a proud owner of an ATI 5850, I really dont want nvidia to go away, they are great card manufactures and nothing better than a healthy competition to keep the prices down

FriendlyFire

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I was a happy owner of a 8800GTX. I am a happy owner of a 5850. It's the swing of the pendulum.

Their losses must've been due to the humongous A/C they needed to cool down their 480s :p

fake mccoy

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2009
@ Jackfrost860

I switched from a GTX295 to a 5870 and experienced an increase of about 4x for scientific calculations.
At the current speeds, no Nvidia card will get close to the calculations based on price/efficiency compared with an ATI card.

fatdoi

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
living in relatively hot Aussie climate, having a toaster inside the PC isn't such a great idea so will jump ship to ATI for now & see what Nvidia can offer in next gen cards....

campisia2000

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
It’s quite unfortunate and amusing at the same time to think how a “typical” ATI loser/fanboy would post. You see, as history has proven, ATI has been in the tank for many years, however since the merge with AMD they are just squeezing their head out of the jaws of failure. Now, here come the little trolls spewing one false premise after another about Nvidia and their future. As a previous owner of an ATI Sapphire 5970, I was more than happy to sell the item and purchase an Nvidia 480 video card; due to ATI’s poor driver performance/stability (Catalyst 10.2) and no working v-sync (ohh, what’s that???) I couldn’t stand not playing games the way they were meant to be played. ATI can make the best hardware in the world, but if driver support/performance/compatibility sucks, then what good is the hardware? I just love reading one mindless post after another with no source what-so-ever to backup their claims.

Here, let me show you how to backup a claim
1) ATI drivers suck. Source: http://forums.amd.com/game/categories.cfm?catid=260&forumid=11
Just read one post after another about problems/performance.

2) ATI was a failing company at the time of the merge with AMD.
Source: http://www.investorguide.com/060806/site-info-privacy-policy.html
Read the article please. The reason why AMD and ATI merged was due to their “failing” status as a company. Just imagine what would happen if Intel and Nvidia were to merge??? That should give you ATI losers something to think about…

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Fermi was way too late, and until the GTX460, too hot, and too power-hungry; in short, too FAIL. I really hope for their sake (and ours), that they aren't limited to hoping that one chip (GTX460) can save their bacon, with the HD6000 series looming.[/citation]
Seriously doubt it, various sites place the GTX460 under the HD5850 on performance and I can buy them at the same price now. If you are on a budget, why would anyone buy a slower card?

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Nvidia will likely survive this. One place where they still have it far over ATI is the wide acceptance from the HPC world of CUDA in the fact that it is an open platform. In my choice of a new graphics card, Nvidia's CUDA is a major factor.

If Nvidia goes bust, it will be a sad day for the PC market because it would mean less competition and enable ATI to charge way too much for their cards.

gh3860

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]gh3860[/nom]There losing money because of stupid non-working nVidia optimus.[/citation]

Status
Not open for further replies.