Nvidia Announces 3DTV Play for GeForce 3D Vision

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Will this offload the 3D processing onto the TV ? If not, I can't really see how this is new, or innovative, since it already works on 120 Hz TV's

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Ironically, I am selling my 3d Vision Kit on ebay right now...

This will not stop me. I found the 3d Vision is be a gimmick. It was cool but not worth it to me. Only one person can play at a time unless you buy extra glasses @ $150 a pop. It is plagued with microstutter, especially those of us using TVs where we sit a good bit away (it has a range of 15ft...not that far if you are playing on any TV over 55") and have other appliances using a similar 2.4 GHz wave (like wireless mouse and keyboard or internet).

Although it did feel a bit weird going back to non3d 3d games, I always noticed I did not game as long with the 3D and I would feel like: "Finally, done with this" when I finished playing. I have found Eyefinity to be more worth while.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
[citation][nom]aethm[/nom]It won't offload anything to the TV. 3D TV's don't do the processing. At least not yet.[/citation]

Imagine in the future where we have to upgrade our tv's graphics cards lol

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Old news, Sega MasterSystem had 3D shutter glasses technology in the late 80's. Guess a reboot every 20 years or so is worth a shot and then clain the tech is yours ;)

manitoublack

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Sorry for the spelling mistake, also the Sega system didn't even require a special TV to work. Just any old CRT. 20 years of technological advancement...

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
that is bollocks (pardon my french). Now that we have all bought our HD tv's and new monitors, they are trying to make us buy new ones that have 120Hz support for 3D. So, I need to buy an expensive NVidia GPU, the expensive glasses, and a really REALLY expensive tv with native 120Hz support.

Yea, 2D is fine with me..

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I believe, we as a consumer, are not ready for this. We have to get glasses, software, upgrade your tv if you don't have support for it and upgrade the graphic card from time to time. To much money for the average spender, IMO. Just wait until is it in all one package!!

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]wiobin[/nom]great another 3D thing to support the fad great[/citation]
You having fun on your black/white mono TV?

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]urlsen[/nom]We want OLED walls not 3d...If i was to upgrade it would have to do better than this[/citation]
Good luck with that. OLED has been shelved by most companies. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are Sony and Toshiba so we won't see any large advancements in this area in the next few years.

On a different note I am sure there will be companies that will come out with ways for consumers to view 3d on our older LCD/Plasma TV's. 3d is currently done one computers with less than 120Hz output. As far as I know most LCD tv and monitors currently run at 60Hz.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]blashyrkh[/nom]that is bollocks (pardon my french). Now that we have all bought our HD tv's and new monitors, they are trying to make us buy new ones that have 120Hz support for 3D. So, I need to buy an expensive NVidia GPU, the expensive glasses, and a really REALLY expensive tv with native 120Hz support.Yea, 2D is fine with me..[/citation]

Too many people are complaining each time a new tech is released (or in that case updated as stereo 3D tech has been invented in the 19th century!!!).

If we were listening to them, we would still have black and white TV with mono sound or even nothing at all.
(Edit: as Chris_TC also said)

If you do not like it, do not buy it.
If you buy it, do not complain when the next big thing comes out(4K screen are coming soon ... for example).
There will always be something better than what you just bought.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]gilbertfh[/nom]On a different note I am sure there will be companies that will come out with ways for consumers to view 3d on our older LCD/Plasma TV's. 3d is currently done one computers with less than 120Hz output. As far as I know most LCD tv and monitors currently run at 60Hz.[/citation]
3d can be done on 60Hz, but each of your two eyes will only end up with 30Hz which causes flicker.

b0o

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
people don't like to wear 3d glasses or headsets. 3d movie fads never take off and virtual reality headset/glasses always flop.

many people still don't even use lcd/plasma tvs. many more still don't have blu ray players.

most people who went and saw avatar did not see it on a 3d screen. most people saw it in a regular theater. a lot of those people didn't even know they weren't watching it in '3d'

3d/surround sound is good.
big screens are good.
wrap around screens are good.
eye infinity for gaming is good but expensive and largely unsupported.
3d glasses are fail.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
@Boo
Yeah like Avatar 3D. No one wanted to watch that shit... Stupid fad.

I don't understand why people keep saying that 3D is shit, it never takes off, always have been a gimmic always will be jadajada.
What every moron saying that completelly fails to mention is that older tech was outer crap. I mean why the hell don't you mention that?
"I hate cars, had a T-Ford once and it was lousy, no power no rigidness... I'm never gona buy a stupid car."
Jesus titty christ

i've been following the evolution of 3D for the last 30 years and as much crap as older tech was, the new is absolutelly gorgeous. No colour degrading to speak of. No different colours for each eye. Very high reslolution. I can watch 3D endlessly without ever getting aches or feel tired. not so with older tech. Even some more recent shutter glasses have been a pain, mainly due to a bad fit and a blinking CRT monitor. That's all gone now.

If you still don't like 3d then don't buy it. If what you're saying is "oh noes... now I'm forced to buy new 3D adapted stuff" then I sertainly think you have a point. Somehow I doubt it.

Chris_TC

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]b0o[/nom]people don't like to wear 3d glasses or headsets.[/citation]
People wear sunglasses absolutely everywhere they go. What's the difference?

[citation][nom]b0o[/nom]most people who went and saw avatar did not see it on a 3d screen. most people saw it in a regular theater.[/citation]
Get your facts straight. A staggering 80% of moviegoers watched Avatar in 3D.
http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=2667

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]utgardaloki[/nom]@BooYeah If what you're saying is "oh noes... now I'm forced to buy new 3D adapted stuff" then I certainly think you have a point. Somehow I doubt it.[/citation]

lol yeah, it's like ppl are either excited about 3D or already own it (like me) or they're all like "3d is dumb! i just bought a new lcd monitor and im not going to buy a special one and wear GLASSES just to add another dimension to my gaming/viewing experience! But shelling out money for a screen with slightly better color/resolution/size, thats something i've already done and so that makes perfect sense!"

it's like a mix of simultaneously defending their non-3D screen purchases and stubbornly shunning new technology.

IMO, the difference between HDTV and 3D HDTV is a WAY bigger step than the move from old SD CRT TVs to HDTV, about on par with the transition from blac&white to colored TV. Ppl should be embracing it and what it adds to the experience, not desperately trying to come up with reasons why they think it will fail and other things theyd rather buy. This isn't a dedicated physics processor card that we're talking about, or some other trivial unnecessary component that will disappear in a year or two. It's not just a "fad" brought on by Avatar, ppl were buying 3DVision and playing stereoscopic 3d games in other ways well b4 that.

utgardaloki

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
@steiner666
they're all like "3d is dumb!

Yeah and I don't get comments that. Why base your argument regarding 3D on old anaglyph 3D tech when that tech is as far away from the new and improved as it is to real life 3D perception itself. Anaglyph 3D technology was obviously nothing more than a gimmick because between the viewer and the 3D effect there was a ton of bad and tireing side effects. They basically had to lower the quality and comfort of every aspect within the picture in order to extract a 3D effect. And though it was fun to watch it compromised to many vital things in order to become something bigger and wide spread.
It isn't good for much more than little movie snippets were people keep waving sticks in your face for 45 minutes.

No one in their right mind would make a big block buster movie today using such garbage technology. If that's where we were today regarding 3D then do you think a movie like Avatar or Alice in wonder land etc would even have been considered for 3D? Who would like to watch their favorite sports broad casts on a daily basis if you had to put up with all those distortions that take away from the experience or even make you feel sick? Imagine walking around in real life with that many distortions to your vision. That's anaglyph 3D for you. Fun for an hour every now and then unless you get naucious or recieve a head ache afterwards. That's a gimmick. You can put up with the bad for a short while in order to get the fun it gives you.

3D perception is part of human design and when ever I can get it with good picture reproduction I'll take that anyday over a lame 2D image. 2D does the job but my own brain tells me that something is missing.

Modern shutter glass technology coupled with good screens do nothing to the image except turning it into pure 3D. It's no different from watching a movie with prescribtion glasses. Except it gives you perfect 3D.

So what the heck is up with all the comments about "no way in hell would I ever put those silly glasses on my head". I mean what the hell, it's not like someone is asking you to wear a space suit or watch a movie standing on your head or something. Just a freakin' pair of glasses and they're not in your way so what's the big deal? Ever seen a human put on their glasses before the news or a movie starts? If they were to feel annoyed or overly encumbered from wearing them I'm sure they would just choose to take them off and watch what ever the heck they're watching with their own fuzzy eye sight.

Regarding shutter technology ghosting is still a problem though as long as you use LCD and in my mind the last thing that needs to go away before we can say that the picture retains exactly as high quality as the 2D version we're used to. I'm still using the Samsung screen. That's a first generation 3D LCD screen and sometimes has terrible ghosting. Well the second generation screens are just now hitting the market and though they still have some ghosting they have improved trumendously. One or two more generations down the road and there should be next to nothing.

oberst

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
I am sorry, but can someone explain to me why we need HDMI 1.4 for these formats mentioned (1080p24, 720p60, and 720p50). At twice those rates (for 3D stereo), they still do not exceed the bandwidth available through HDMI 1.3. It's quite obvious that NVIDIA and the TV/BDplayer manufacturers are taking us all for a ride. Consider that to this day, there is ZERO NATIVE FULL-RES content (meaning 1920x1080p at 120Hz or 60Hz in each eye) available for these TVs. Even 1080p 3D blurays like "Monsters vs. Aliens" are only 24Hz like all movies. HDMI 1.3 could have easily supported that. HDMI 1.4 sounds like just another commercial money-making BS, not a technical requirement. Now also consider that 120Hz 1080 MONITORS (like the 23" ASUS one for about $500) support NATIVE FULL-RES 3D via DVI dual-link, which has been around for years and could easily have been used on these "new" 3D TVs instead of HDMI 1.4!

Status
Not open for further replies.