News Nvidia Announces Ampere: RTX 3090 for $1499, RTX 3080 for $699, RTX 3070 for $499

EricLane

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2013
Bummer. Was hoping for $1200, would have gotten the 3090 for $1400 but $1500 is too much for me. $1200 was too much but I was willing to bite. Now I am not sure if it is worth upgrading my 1080 Amp Extreme to 3080 or just wait until next year and see what the landscape looks like. I don't want to switch to AMD. What does everyone else think?

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
The pricing for the 3080 and 3070 is a pleasant surprise. Nvidia will sell boatloads of 3070s and 3080s at those prices and performance.

Last edited:

QueueCumber

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Bummer. Was hoping for $1200, would have gotten the 3090 for $1400 but $1500 is too much for me. $1200 was too much but I was willing to bite. Now I am not sure if it is worth upgrading my 1080 Amp Extreme to 3080 or just wait until next year and see what the landscape looks like. I don't want to switch to AMD. What does everyone else think?

If you're looking to do 4k at a more stable fps then upgrade for sure. If you're looking to dip into 8k, it looks like another cycle or two before that gets up to 120 fps stable. I'm running 2x1080s in SLI and I'm looking forward to the large bump in performance with a 3090. After that, I'll wait for whatever future card allows me to dive deep into 8k....

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Bad news for AMD. These prices are very competitive. The fact that the 3070 was launched means the 3060 and 3050 will come sooner rather than later. AMD is going to have a rough time maintaining their position in the mid-range segment. Meanwhile, Intel is squeezing them from the bottom with better and better IGP.

Reactions: Memnarchon and Gurg

bmwm3oz

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008

You were willing to spend 1,399 but 1,499 is too much? A ~7% price increase from what you expected is a deal breaker? :LOL:

Jan 22, 2020
The power requirements on these are disappointing however. There was some teaser info earlier in the year about reduced power consumption. Despite the more compact production technology, the 3070 is only a few watts lower then the existing 2080ti (for supposedly the same performance). Was hopeful that would lead to decreased overall system heat and power (and bode well for later mobile versions without the speed reductions of the Q series).

Well, for one thing, getting an RTX 3080 for $700 would far more than double the performance of your current card. The RTX 2080 Ti is ~30% faster than the GTX 1080 Ti and the RTX 3080 is ~100% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti so the gain that you would get for $700 would be nothing short of massive. Whether or not it's worth the upgrade is completely dependent on whether or not you're satisfied with your GTX 1080. If you are, then upgrading would be a complete waste.

The other thing is, what's wrong with AMD? I've had Radeon cards only since 2008 because they always offered me better performance at the price points that I was willing to pay and I've enjoyed them immensely. Before that, I had four straight nVidia cards and before that I had a CirrusLogic (pre-3D). Remember that ATi has been around far longer than nVidia and if their products were bad, they'd be extinct.

If AMD has a better product (although I doubt it will), then only a foolish fanboy would still buy nVidia. People who have never owned a Radeon card and are afraid of them are as ridiculous as people who have never owned an AMD CPU and are afraid of them. The differences between them are only performance-based. When it comes to actual use, there's no difference between them. There's more differnce between a Samsung and a Motorola Android phone than there is between a GeForce and a Radeon card.
The pricing for the 3080 and 3070 is a pleasant surprise. Nvidia will sell boatloads of 3070s and 3080s at those prices and performance.
Yes they will. The only question is, what will retailers do with all their leftover ~$2,000 RTX 2080 Ti cards? As soon as nVidia made their announcement, those cards were immediately turned into dead stock.
Bad news for AMD. These prices are very competitive. The fact that the 3070 was launched means the 3060 and 3050 will come sooner rather than later. AMD is going to have a rough time maintaining their position in the mid-range segment. Meanwhile, Intel is squeezing them from the bottom with better and better IGP.
Intel's IGPs would only be a threat to AMD (and nVidia for that matter) if AMD and nVidia were standing still. They're not. Intel's IGPs are, as of now, nowhere near ATi's IGPs and each step forward that Intel takes, ATi takes an even bigger one. Hell, Intel's most powerful IGP, the Iris Plus, is listed as being 50% behind the Vega 8 which itself is weaker than the lowly GT 1030. I have serious doubts about the viability of Intel's invasion of the graphics space. We've all heard this talk before from Intel just like we heard about nVidia wanting to make CPUs. Even Larrabee didn't go anywhere. When Intel finally releases its "Xe Graphics", nVidia will have Ampere and ATi will have RDNA2. Intel will just be left in the dust again.

Reactions: Makaveli

EricLane

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2013
You were willing to spend 1,399 but 1,499 is too much? A ~7% price increase from what you expected is a deal breaker? :LOL:
$1200 is more than I should responsibly spend. Then I saw the $1400 rumors and started performing mental gymnastics to justify it and them the $1500 price tag was just too big a pill to swallow. Plus I have 5.5% State sales tax.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Intel's IGPs would only be a threat to AMD (and nVidia for that matter) if AMD and nVidia were standing still. They're not. Intel's IGPs are, as of now, nowhere near ATi's IGPs and each step forward that Intel takes, ATi takes an even bigger one.

Intel's IGP doesn't need to beat AMD or Nvidia's products. It just need to good enough such that people with some interest in playing computer games would opt for a laptop instead of a desktop. Fewer budget desktops means a smaller market for budget video cards.

EricLane

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2013
Intel's IGP doesn't need to beat AMD or Nvidia's products. It just need to good enough such that people with some interest in playing computer games would opt for a laptop instead of a desktop. Fewer budget desktops means a smaller market for budget video cards.
So, September 24th. That is when they go on sale. When are they likely to start allowing preorder? Also, are they likely to sell the 3090 on Newegg or is it straight from Nvidia since it is FE? I would be buying with a Newegg Store Card, which is why I ask.

Last edited:

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Professional and hardcore enthusiasts will be delighted to know that the GeForce RTX 3090 is the only Ampere-based graphics card to support SLI through Nvidia's NVLink connector.

Here was me thinking "Professional and hardcore enthusiasts" would take 2 lower tier cards and put them in SLI to get the the same or better performance of the top end card for less money, rather than use two very top tier cards to get even better performance.

fireaza

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
It seems a bit premature to be removing the virtual link connector. The reason for the lack of support last-gen was because all the headsets that were in development were too far along to be adding new connectors. The best we got was an adapter for the Valve Index. Keeping it on all GPUs for the next few years would give incentive for manufacturers to use the connector.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I want to point out that the new cooler design of the 3080 and 3090 is Amazing and innovative.

The cooler is using heat pipes , but the Genius part of the rear part is that there is no PCB to block the air , so the back heatpipes work 100% like a CPU heatpipe cooler . and this will outperform all other cards from third parties even with 3 fans , because the air will be blocked by the back plate there !

Now it would be Amazing if others take the same idea and make 3 fans cooler with 2 of them Just like the reference card , outside the PCB and the air just pushed free without PCB infront of it...

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
nofanneeded, but that warm/hot air, goes up, and straight into your cpu's HSF, innovative, maybe, ideal. not really.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
nofanneeded, but that warm/hot air, goes up, and straight into your cpu's HSF, innovative, maybe, ideal. not really.
With a Thermalake P-3 case with open sides the warm air will just go straight up. As for the CPU AIO cooler its off to the side so no problem there either

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Igor's site had a very interesting comment:" NVIDIA currently does not even have to think about completing its RTX portfolio. Just under 500 euro for the performance of a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti will push the hunchbacked Turing affinity brutally towards the middle class and below in terms of price, especially on the used market. "

"https://www.igorslab.de/en/why-the-...remain-so-dangerous-is-just-buy-it-editotial/

In other words: Nvidia should not waste production capacity on cards lower than the $500 3070, but instead let the used 2000 series fill that slot. By doing that existing 2000 series GPU card owners could get cash in the used market to fund their purchase of 3000 series cards. Bargain card buyers could get a formerly top tier performance 2 year old used GPU that will max out their 1080p monitors/PC systems. Seems like a WIN WIN for everyone.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
With a Thermalake P-3 case with open sides the warm air will just go straight up. As for the CPU AIO cooler its off to the side so no problem there either
that may be the case for that case, but for a case like i have, the TJ 07, that wouldnt work as my NHd-15's fans, would probably suck some of the air from the gpu, into it and through it. same for the the Antec three hundred two cases i have, which also have the NHD-15s on the cpu's in them.

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
that may be the case for that case, but for a case like i have, the TJ 07, that wouldnt work as my NHd-15's fans, would probably suck some of the air from the gpu, into it and through it. same for the the Antec three hundred two cases i have, which also have the NHD-15s on the cpu's in them.
The P-3 doesn't have/need case fans. Some reviewers use the P-3 with the Plexiglas off the front and turned on its back for open bench testing. I previously had a Corsair Airflow 540 cube case with fans at every opening and a window air conditioner aimed at the case in warm weather to get plenty of airflow. The enclosed case fans generated a lot of noise and trapped a lot of dust.