Nvidia Announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti; $700, Coming Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Been waiting quite awhile for this. Delighted it's coming. I'm running 3 980ti's. I'm expecting a nice speed bump from 2 1080ti's SLI'd. Gents I can use the 3rd 980ti as a phycis card now I hope. Thank you.

fynxer

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
nVidia is basically pre-release countering VEGA and forcing it to sub $499 price with the release of 1080Ti at $699, effectively blowing a big hole in AMD wallet before VEGA even hit the market. I would have payed money to see AMDs face when reality hit them, the ultimate punishment for dragging out the VEGA release like forever. Genius move by nVidia and cheaper gfx card for us, win for all except AMD.

And that's not all, you can buy 1080Ti next week, where is VEGA or even a simple thing as a release date for AMDs elusive power card. VEGA release is at least 2-3 months away during that time nVidia will eat up the market with 1080 $499 and 1080Ti $699 so when VEGA comes there will be only crumbs left.

This is a family friendly forum. Please choose family friendly words

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Looks good, especially if it is at least 25% faster than the 1080. We have been expecting this card for a while, so I don't expect any magic card out of the hat trick here. Dropping the DVI port is definitely a plus. Only next week will tell if this is a hard launch or soft launch. I am still weary of spending a lot on a Pascal based card knowing how they perform in DX12 and Vulkan titles.

Awesomlego

Reputable
Jul 7, 2016
I have a feeling this is going to be 0-7 fps of from the Titan XP. Those specs are basically the same as a Titan XP. Interesting to see how this plays out

nightshadexl

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
Correct me if I'm wrong.. but I've already seen a lot of places having 1080 cards for 600$ or less. Will this be an additional price drop or is NVidia just confirming the price has dropped and we won't see anything change at retailers?

You make this sound as though Nvidia is intentionally trying to force Vega to be a lower price and that AMD is holding out on purpose instead of launching it....

1. We dont know what how well vega would really preform.

2. If you paid attention to Nvidia history, they've done this exact pricing scheme before with the 900 series.

GTX 980 was $550 when launched. Then the GTX 980 ti launched at $650. Sometime after the 980 ti launch, the GTX 980 price was lowered to the $450~500 range.

3. If vega perform well, it'll be priced where it needs to be (which could be $650 just like the Fury X).

Now sadly i didn't pay attention to prices for 780 and 780 ti and how prices shuffled around (im guessing they did) but any limited history lookup would of told you that Nvidia is just currently doing what they've done in the past.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tell my GTX 980ti that it isn't the "ti" flag bearer anymore and a new kid on the block will be taking its place.

EDIT: Changed the quote to match the mods changes to fynxer post.

Avery Holder

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
High hopes for Vega. I personally won't be getting an AMD GPU anytime soon due to having an Nvidia Shield and using Gamestream, but competition in the markets wouldn't hurt. I really hope AMD can make a comeback in the GPU sector. I would love to see them pushing back against Nvintel.

$699. that is going to shake up the entire gpu lineup below it. first of all the 1080 will have to drop to at least $499 just to match the price/performance ratio of the 1080ti.... but it should be lower since the price/performance bell curve better favors all cards lower on the line. then the question is will the 1070 drop to $349?

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Not sure what you are referring to. There have only been 2 other flagship Ti cards. The 780 Ti was released November 7th, the 980 Ti June 1st. With the 1080Ti released the the week of March 5th, there is no predictable pattern.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
What this really does for AMD in reality is gives them room to adjust and tweak their current Vega Product which is why today was not an AMD Vega launch just showing off some of its new features and Tech, now we will likely see 16gb hbm2 with the full 1gbs memory cache instead of the 8gb with 512mbs. I say bring on the competition, problem with going first is your showing all your cards first second player can fold or up the stakes. Lets also mention Nvidia is on 16nm and AMD is already going for 7nm but this release will be between 10 and 14nm this could prove to be a devastating blow for Nvidia as we already know AMD with launch it cheaper then Nvidia. Also next gen rx580 will be 7nm that's right around the corner of Vega. Then there is the whole Ryzen+ coming to 7nm next year me thinks AMD having an engineer as CEO was the smartest thing AMD has done in the last 10 years.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
never pay over $450 for a GPU .. My experience ... not worth it ...

My old GTX 780 ti is worth only $150 today (the 3GB GTX 1060 outperforms it)

from $750 to $150 is alot to lose in just 3 years

Frankly, anybody finding this move to be a surprise is not looking at the market closely - why was Nvidia not selling any version of GP102 with all its units enabled? Answer: just so it could release the Ti with better performance on a whim, and maybe even stock up on fully-functional chips beforehand. For me, the bigger surprise is them disabling a memory controller unit to allow configurations with less VRAM - meaning that the complete boards are priced pretty tightly and that selling at the $700 price point did not yield enough margin with 12Gb of VRAM to be worth it.

I think the good performance of Polaris on recent games, as well as the glimpses we've gotten of Vega tells it so: AMD is about to sell a GPU that can compete with Pascal at worst and kick its butt at best (async compute-enabled games) and that will be sold, in true AMD fashion, with a big fat thermal envelope that board partners can tinker with at will and with a competitive price.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

GTX 1080 Price already dropped to $499

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11173/nvidia-partners-to-begin-selling-geforce-gtx-1080s-gtx-1060s-with-faster-memory

I think that Nvidia are preparing for Vega Launch and acting Quickly ...

burniemac

Honorable
Oct 23, 2014
When comparing the price of Nvidia and AMD cards don't forget to factor in the extra money you'll have to pay for a G-Sync monitor over a free-sync one. That gives AMD cards a pricing advantage of a couple of hundred in my book...

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
GTX1080 are at $499 now. I presumed 1070 would follow. Let's hope it gets low enough to force a ripple to an even lower bracket to be even cheaper. Awesome card lineup for much more affordable price so more people can access, from both sides.

Also, whatever market share Vega intend to fill, it better be one hell of a card to compete with nVidia's current price-performance.

2016 is an interesting year indeed.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Wow. I didn't expect such a reasonable price. I hope it's a preventive attack because Nvidia already has proof that Vega will also be a great high-end GPU.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012

hahahaha you are correct. But I won't edit it. Honest mistake. Let it be an example.
*just got home from work a little bit tired but excited about the news.

On topic; Still hoping an RX480 to get down on their knees at $150. A man can dream.
That ReLive feature is really good. I've seen it on my friend's rig. To my eye, it's even as negligible as Shadowplay. Awesome!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Although we typically praise Nvidia's cooling solutions for exhausting waste heat rather than recirculating it in your case, our thermal testing typically shows these designs underperforming the axial fan-based coolers from board partners, which often facilitate lower temperatures and generate less noise.
Thanks for coming clean, Chris. I'm skeptical that certain writers for Tom's would concede this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.