Nvidia Announces Much Improved Linux Gaming Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]felipetga[/nom]I guess that finger from Linus Torvalds had some effect....[/citation]

No one of importance gives a rat's @$$ about the musings of that delusional, conceited hack.

Something tells me a fat man with an aversion to triplets got the ball rolling on this one...

Prescott_666

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
So you think Windows 8 is a better platform? Linux is better for games, because it can be set up for gaming, and Windows cannot be. Plus Microsoft is planning to rake off a 30% commission on each game, and who do you think will pay for that gamer?

volvavite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]felipetga[/nom]I guess that finger from Linus Torvalds had some effect....[/citation]

Not quite, unfortunately. I say this, because he was ranting over Optimus support. Nvidia can implement it more or less easily if they had the same driver development philosophy of Intel: the Linux kernel is GPL, so proper driver implementation has to be GPL to fully interact with the kernel. However, Nvidia still likes to push their binary blobs through, which is a very inefficient driver solution.

[citation][nom]Prescott_666[/nom]So you think Windows 8 is a better platform? Linux is better for games, because it can be set up for gaming, and Windows cannot be. Plus Microsoft is planning to rake off a 30% commission on each game, and who do you think will pay for that gamer?[/citation]

That depends on what your wanting to play and if its been optimized for that/those platform(s). No matter how much better a platform can be setup for, it can only go as far as what the game can play on.

Believe me, years ago when i tried playing games (Disk based at the time) with linux, what I experience was sub-par on a linux set-up over a windows setup on the same machine. Mainly graphic issues and weird/random glitches. (think it was like 4-6 years ago and one of the games that i can remember was Morrowind).

Now things have probably improved since those times but just stating, just because 1 platform should be better than another, doesn't mean a certain game that I may want to buy will work well with that platform.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
[citation][nom]cybrcatter[/nom]No one of importance gives a rat's @$$ about the musings of that delusional, conceited hack. Something tells me a fat man with an aversion to triplets got the ball rolling on this one...[/citation]

Yes some delusional, conceited hack whose software runs the backbone of almost all IT services around the world. Most brilliant people have their quirks.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Prescott_666[/nom]So you think Windows 8 is a better platform? Linux is better for games, because it can be set up for gaming, and Windows cannot be. Plus Microsoft is planning to rake off a 30% commission on each game, and who do you think will pay for that gamer?[/citation]

I don't see Microsoft getting as much support from big game developers the same way Steam has.

Microsoft has put a lot of strain on console developers for how they can upgrade their products (any game update through xbox needs to be re-certified which takes time and adds cost for the developer).
They will likely do the same with the Windows store.

The Windows Store will be directly competing with Steam, while also adding indie games and casual games like Cut the Rope etc.

Steam has a similar royalty fee where they take 25-30% from all digital purchases too, but because there is no manufacturing costs, Developers make better profit margins and steam can afford those yearly xmas and summer sales of massive discounted games (including recently released AAA titles).

My system isn't just for gaming either, its a high-end media and workstation. So overall I think windows is still the better platform for gaming (in my opinion).

Personally, I'm not a fan of Linux. But it never hurts to have more options when it come to choosing which platform to use :D
(I can see Microsoft becoming too similar to Apple by closing their system or restrictive even further...which may change my opinion down the road. Time will tell)

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
So po' po' lil' Johny bytefyuck can't be a leader ... his FOSS-code is six-times slower than that of the graphics proz. Fine with me; my card runs faster on Ubuntu and since it's an NV card I've **paid** for it. Linux developers have recently proven to have attitudes worth bytchslapping around the motherboard. Fine with me.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
This is very good news, especially since I'm an Ubuntu user!
Now I just need to get my hands on an Nvidia card, just wish their prices locally were equivalent to AMD's offerings.

G

Anybody who says Linux is a better platform than Windows for gaming is dreaming. I'm saying this not as a Windows fanboy but as a Linux user who has been using it (both desktop and servers) since the early 2000s.

I'm not saying Linux will never be good for games. What I mean is that right now, if you compare which OS is very dominant and very good when it comes to computer games (take console out of this), MS Windows is the very clear leader. There is no doubt about that. Even if you list down from Windows 95 up to Windows 8, they're still ahead no matter how you spin it.

But dreaming is good. Dreams can come true. And in this case, with Valve's move to include Linux in its gaming platform, this can possibly open up a lot of opportunities for Ubuntu, and Linux in general, and many may follow the example of Valve should they succeed on this endeavor of making Linux as good as Windows when it comes to playing games.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]I wonder how many Linux douchbags will refuse to use it just because it is not open source.[/citation]
Aren't you suppose to be in your mom's basement playing on your Xbox.

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]like it or not, games and linux don't mix[/citation]

You are such an ignorant... PS3 OS and IOS and Android are derived from linux... and games works flawlessly on them !

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]_Cosmin_[/nom]You are such an ignorant... PS3 OS and IOS and Android are derived from linux... and games works flawlessly on them ![/citation]

Hate to break it to you. But that does not really matter. What did PS2 and the original xbox run on. Consoles have always run games without the require of the OS. The OS on the ps3 its just a added feature for content. Consoles runs games directly. Heck even the PS1 had a weird menu but plays games.

Bottom Line Consoles does not require a OS to run games.

G

MarioJP

_Cosmin_ :
You are such an ignorant... PS3 OS and IOS and Android are derived from linux... and games works flawlessly on them !

Hate to break it to you. But that does not really matter. What did PS2 and the original xbox run on. Consoles have always run games without the require of the OS. The OS on the ps3 its just a added feature for content. Consoles runs games directly. Heck even the PS1 had a weird menu but plays games.

Bottom Line Consoles does not require a OS to run games.

Mario I was gobsmacked when I read your comment. I had always just assumed consoles had operating systems. I didn't know that the game developers on the consoles were having to write code to operate the console hardware as well as writing the game. No wonder games cost so much on consoles these days if the game developer has to read up on how a particular disk drive functions and then write code to operate it directly using machine code. And that's just the disk drive they also write code to operate and keep track of all the other components of the console, and write code to deal with any foreseeable errors the hardware may throw up. I take my hat off to them, I for one will not be complaining about the cost of games anymore. How do the developers make sure their games will still work with future models of the console that may use different hardware components (I'm thinking of the hardware changes used in the xbox 360 as newer models were released)? Do they try to predict possible future hardware configurations that their game may be asked to work with and then add the extra code just in case? I had no idea of the work involved in making a console game. I'm just thinking out loud here, but with the next generation of consoles around the corner, if one of the big console manufactures could provide an operating system with their new hardware, I think it could give them a big advantage in attracting game developers to their system.

Status
Not open for further replies.