Nvidia Announces New Drive CX And PX Automotive Tech At CES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I hope this crashes and burns for Nvidia. Just what everyone needs, more eletronics and computers for people to mess with while driving. Not to mention that their demo gauges look very hard to read at a glance. Not everything has to look like a video game.

Also, I look at computer screens all day at work and love gaming in my free time but I want at least some time where I can look at something real, like a gauge or knobs in my car.

Interesting tech but really not excited to have more high-priced replacement parts that won't last the life of the car... of course, for those worried about price, hope analog is still around for a long long time.

Duckferd

Reputable
Jan 5, 2015
There's a specific reason why the other automakers are using things beyond cameras for their autopilot concepts.

What happens at night once it is too dim for cameras? What about inclement weather? how far can a camera see when you're cruising at 160 km/h+, as on the autobahn? Realistically you need a suite of sensors for any sort of failsafe.

I can see emerging autopilot tech as a good companion for driving to safeguard against possible accidents and provide useful information to the driver, and perhaps it will transform inner city public transportation (autonomous taxis, to go along with rail). I just don't see "autonomous" driving, as people imagine it, being realistic for real world use cases outside of maybe mundane freeway driving.

CoolDark

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
RCguitarist said it best. Theoretically, more touch screens or illuminated displays means requiring more attention from the driver which is results in two outcomes; 1) the driver distributes their attention appropriately and slows or drives cautiously if they are paying extra attention to the center touch display, or 2) the driver tries to tell themselves "whats the point of all this new tech if they need to drive extra conservatively", in order to use it without crashing the car. As you can imagine, most people will fall under number 2.

Personally, I don't believe that people need to adapt to tech, it should be tech that adapts to us. People want knobs and some tactile feel. A touch screen requires you look away from the road, a knob does not. Placing and replacing your fingers on a sensitive touch screen as the car is bouncing around while going over 115 km/h on the freeway is not as easy as it sounds. for every bump the hand moves, for every hand movement the driver looks to re-position it.

Lastly, the more simplistic something is, the faster the mind can understand it. The fact is that a simple digital display with a needle and numbers made with basic graphics is easier to understand than one with complex graphics. Easier to read means faster for the mind to comprehend.

Just because someone CAN do something, doesn't mean they SHOULD.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Agree with the other posters. Expecially in a car anything that requires a second or extra glance while driving is BAD. The average person already is a danger on the road, they dont need more distractions.

For gauges. Speed should be a 1-3 digit number. A gauge takes far longer to read then a digial number. For things like oil pressure, who the hell needs to know that when driving, you only need to know if its good or bad. Good doesn't even need an indicator, bad should be a colored icon. Same with battery(in a fuel powered car). A tach is useless in an automatic car, dont even display it, in a manual its useful. A colored slider style bar would be useful for a manual showing optimal shift points.

A touch screen should never be used for any operation made while driving. You need tactile response so you can do it without taking your eyes off the road. If tactile response isn't practical(ie looking on a map), then you shouldn't be allowed to operate it while in motion. Humans suck at driving, and shouldn't be given more distractions to suck more.

Misunderstanding

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Neural networks have to do with how the information from the sensor is "processed", how the decision is made. They have nothing to do with using cameras versus radar... and many of these other systems probably use neural networks. It happens that a lot of the research on neural networks has been done for optical images for internet search so Nvidia can borrow on this. Automated cars will require other sensors because optical cameras can not see in 100% of conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.