Nvidia Announces New Shield Ship Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Already have a PC for gaming and "stuff" plus a gaming console.

Not ever interested on hand held game systems.

Nvidia should concentrate in graphic cards.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Forgive me for sounding like a downer, but I really can't see the point of this. The vast majority of android games that I play require the touch screen interface. The games that require controllers like FPSes are anaemic compared to their desktop/console counterparts.
But they'll say if I'm at home I could have the benefit of playing PC games in places like the crapper. If I'm at home I'll be playing games on the PC or console! My piles are bad enough already thanks.
The focus should have been putting a SOC in the device with real power and then bringing developers on board to make games that I really want to play with the controller.

I think if I had a spare $299 it would be going towards a PS4, or an Xbox One if you already have an android device of some sort.

I suspect many who read this are also.

And would rather wait and bypass the shield with this in mind.

I don`t think it will be a big success for Nvidia, it`s a bit late in the day considering the amount of android devices currently in the market. At $299 it`s going to struggle to sell in large numbers.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
I think tegra4 is awesome. Makes the snapdragon look slow for gaming but matcats box is a much better fit. Wireless control, box that connects via hdmi to your tv using tegra4. Nvidia fail madcat fixed.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I guess this is good when you want to sit on a comfy chair, in front of an overlooking nice view of nature-filled - pleasantly catching the great morning sunlight while playing games, but then again, I need to have breakfast at the same time, sounds cool... but I am speculating here.. no way you can simulate an outcome when using this.. Let's see where this device will get through...

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Games of the future will concentrate on the controller because now all phones/tablets can use one. The first galaxy S4 video I saw was a samsung employee demoing an xbox controller hooked to it and playing on the TV...LOL. This will be the direction of the future mobile games with both NV and google pushing it (along with obviously samsung etc). The point for these guys is to have a handheld that also does the job of a console when inside the house. Someone has to release the device BEFORE the games can be made for it right? Do you expect a bunch of gamepad android games without the device being in circulation FIRST? Cart before the horse in your mind I guess? I always though the horse pulled the cart :)

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Not me, tired of paying $60 for games and now they're going to charge $65-70 for console games. I'll take $0-20 to go please :) Not to mention after spending $65 they DLC me to death 3-5 times at another $5-10 a pop. So basically charging me $100 for the game that should be $40. Poor people can't afford console games (or heck even Vita/3DS at $30-40 for new ones, last gen 3 consoles combined only sold 250mil over 7.5yrs) and that is where this will be aiming. On top of that devs should make far more on android (check Rovio) since the audience will be 2.5B smart devices next year or 2015 (we are already at 1Bill+). It's expect to double shortly. Seeing as a T4i will be in $100-$200 phones even the junkers come xmas will be fairly potent matching or beating S600 quad.

Considering Titan/780 still fly off the shelves (they sell every titan they make still, NV said they can't make them fast enough and those are $1000!), I'm guessing there are a LOT of customers that want a PC gpu getting to their TV and a lot of them don't have a handheld yet and Vita/3DS suck for browsing etc (any 650 or above can do this and those can be had for under $110 so it's a large audience). 65% of gamers own NV hardware already. If NV is still going to say in this Q what rumors are, they've gained 1% up to 66% now. We'll know in 2 weeks. AMD made ZERO on the graphics division which is purely because they keep giving away FREE GAMES (MORONS). Don't forget the shield device only cost them 10mil to develop. They will only need to sell 100K of these to break even if not less. Based on BOM for Vita and 3DS which are both 170/110 if memory serves they are probably making $100 on this even at $299.

I will be shocked if they don't sell more than 100K of these making it a great investment to push gamepad gaming on android. VERY SMART. I'm guessing they sell over a million in 12months or less. Vita sold 7mil in that time and sucks in comparison power wise, resolution, and can output to TV, PC to TV, can't use all android apps/games etc etc. Anyone considering a handheld has to consider this instead. IT's a no-brainer. IF you own NV hardware and want a handheld an even bigger no-brainer here. Only 5.07% of devs are planning anything for Vita or 3DS (2.84%) while 60% are planning games for mobile. There will be no shortage of stuff to play on these and many will be gamepad games. Even the PS4/Xbox1 are less than 11.5% for planned games. Devs are clearly taking a wait and see on those two after Wiiu tanked 50% in sales after xmas for Q1. That basically says dedicated nintendo lovers bought it, but nobody else. If the same happens to ps4/xbox1 devs will just leave just as they have Wiiu (6.47% planning games for this...LOL):
http://www.sonyps4news.com/2013/03/06/nintendo-fast-losing-developer-support-sonys-consoles-remain-firm/

Your console will cost you $400-500 (or more for enhanced versions no doubt, bigger drives etc) and games will cost you $60+ for ages. That's like saying a cell phone is cheap when it comes free, with most ignoring the fact that you pay $1800-2400 for the 2yr contract thus making it a VERY expensive device. For a poor person (ok even middle class..LOL - they are the new poor today, the old poor are completely destitute), $300+cheapo games are far easier to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.