Nvidia Announces Quarterly Results, Profits Dropped by 55%

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I think there's a possibility, although remote, that Nvidia may announce the gk110 at the GPU Tech Conference next week. At the very least I would expect them to make some announcement regarding upcoming Quadro or Tesla tech. It's the ideal venue to disseminate such information.

yeah, i would assume the lack of gtx 680 in the market hurt them a bit(they sold like hotcakes) though with the advent of the 670, which is a good price for its power, the 660 and 660 ti will be priced will determine the profit of nvidia if they are priced alone the lines of the 7850, 7870, and 7950

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I think there is no gk110. It looks like releasing gtx680 as gk106 is marketing trick. It looks to me like Nvidia is doing paper lunches and selling rumors about powerful gk110 to convince as much people as possible to wait. They are trying to buy some time so that they can resolve supply issues without loosing customers. I just wonder why would they hold off a gk110 gpu that could literally kill AMD? Some say that there is no point..gk106 is powerful enough. But that's BS. GTX680 is great but is nothing more than what gtx580 was compared to 6970 and what gtx480 was compared to 5970...

What I am trying to say is that it would be stupid not to use your advantages and let competitors catch up. Unless your competitors are 2 or 3 generations behind like AMD is to intel, but that's not a case in AMD-Nvidia head to head race

G

[citation][nom]dudewitbow[/nom]yeah, i would assume the lack of gtx 680 in the market hurt them a bit(they sold like hotcakes) though with the advent of the 670, which is a good price for its power, the 660 and 660 ti will be priced will determine the profit of nvidia if they are priced alone the lines of the 7850, 7870, and 7950[/citation]

They sold like hotcakes because they hardly had any to sell.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's fine, just re-arrange prices, make up loss of sales with lower prices to boost sales, if done correctly you earn more money. For the top of the line cards that are naturally going to be rather expensive no matter what give more incentives to buy them. This could range from a variety of things, exclusive beta accesses to up coming games, to a redeemable game code, or even strike a deal with Valve and have a redeemable code for Steam that works as cash and lets the consumer pick what they want. You would be amazed how little bonus incentives help sell things.

If only Nivida had their chair adjusters for executives work more often I would consider working for them. Oh well. I like my chair adjusted twice a day.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
I'll bet when they actually have something to sell they may make some money. But for the most part this year it seems they are selling theoretical products. A few lucky magicians have managed to materialize their products.

bardacuda

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
It's not surprising considering the supply (yield?) issues. The GK104 in the 680 and 670 were only meant to be mid-range chips in the first place and use smaller dies than the previous gen's top-end cards, but they are at top-end prices...so if they can fix the supply problems then the profit problems should go away in a hurry.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]I think there is no gk110. It looks like releasing gtx680 as gk106 is marketing trick. It looks to me like Nvidia is doing paper lunches and selling rumors about powerful gk110 to convince as much people as possible to wait. They are trying to buy some time so that they can resolve supply issues without loosing customers. I just wonder why would they hold off a gk110 gpu that could literally kill AMD? Some say that there is no point..gk106 is powerful enough. But that's BS. GTX680 is great but is nothing more than what gtx580 was compared to 6970 and what gtx480 was compared to 5970...What I am trying to say is that it would be stupid not to use your advantages and let competitors catch up. Unless your competitors are 2 or 3 generations behind like AMD is to intel, but that's not a case in AMD-Nvidia head to head race[/citation]

Your logic is even more faulty than your confusion between fact and your fantasy, and your spelling.

The GTX 680 is and was sold as GK104, not GK 106. You totally just made that up.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]Supply is to blame but the bigger picture is that gamers are buying more consoles and fewer PC parts.[/citation]

No one believes you; fail troll.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
They mentioned that at the GPU conference they'll be talking about mobile and cloud computing. Translation; Tegra chips and Quadros most likely (though Quadros maybe not). Don't look too hard for anything new targeting consumer desktops. Nvidia has for the most part made their bed with desktop graphics for now. They're likely more focused on fixing yield issues than they are with introducing new cards to compete right now. And quite honestly, as exciting as the gk110 would be for enthusiasts to play around with, it wouldn't help them all that much in terms of profit. It'd be best for them to hold off on that until they get supply straightened out. They're running the risk right now of people getting turned off and just jumping to AMD. People will only be so patient. They are only willing to hold off on builds for so long. The smarter plan for them would be to focus on that supply issue and hold off new cards that would likely suffer the same supply problem if released now.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
seems many people are holding off right now, they are waiting for something bigger (powerful for compute and all arround) or something affordable... 150-250 price lines. meanwhile, previous gen cards are still doing the job fine.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]They are trying to buy some time so that they can resolve supply issues without loosing customers. I just wonder why would they hold off a gk110 gpu that could literally kill AMD?[/citation]
So let me get this straight... first, you're assuming that Nvidia has gk110 ready to go, and is simply delaying its launch in order to milk as much out of gk104's current high-end position for as long as possible. And because it would somehow be more beneficial for Nvidia to simply churn the rumor mill about a phantom high-end compute GPU than to actually develop one, gk110 therefore doesn't exist.

I have to agree with Marcus52, your reasoning just doesn't make sense. There are so many reasons for Nvidia needing a GPU like gk110. There are also far more likely explanations than a conspiracy for why it hasn't been officially announced yet. For instance, the difficulty in manufacturing such a large and complex GPU on a new fabrication process. It probably simply isn't ready yet. There are also so many leaks and rumors circulating about this GPU, that I think most people would find it more difficult to not believe in its existence.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I think it may have dropped from this Intel 3000 in almost every Laptop out there. I even bought a Dell that had an Nvidia 525m, but it seems to only use it as a physX device. Directx still shows the intel 3000 as the video card, if I disable it the motherboard stops talking to the 525.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]atikkur[/nom]seems many people are holding off right now, they are waiting for something bigger (powerful for compute and all arround) or something affordable... 150-250 price lines. meanwhile, previous gen cards are still doing the job fine.[/citation]7850 is a great buy at $250. It has great compute performance and good all-around gaming performance. So I have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you mean Nvidia-only buyers in that price range are holding off right now. I've owned cards from both, and I'm glad they finally released 670, step in the right direction pricing-wise. But the mid-range 7800s don't have very fierce competition at the moment. Maybe the 660 series cards?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
gk110 is a big chip, it probably got 12smx/6gpc. 50% larger using 384bit. Nvidia already having yield issue on GK104. they are not gonna risk repeating GTX480 problem again. Since Gk104 is more than enough to beat/onpar with 7970, why not delay the big TANK chip and buy the engineers some time to iron out the issue + wait TSMC 28nm process mature? I personally dont think Nvidia is going to jump to 20nm so quick. the sail to 28nm is rough, I dont think TSMC going 20nm is going to be any smoother.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]casperstouch[/nom]I think it may have dropped from this Intel 3000 in almost every Laptop out there. I even bought a Dell that had an Nvidia 525m, but it seems to only use it as a physX device. Directx still shows the intel 3000 as the video card, if I disable it the motherboard stops talking to the 525.[/citation]
Read the papers. It's all there.

ttg_Avenged

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2012
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]No one believes you; fail troll.[/citation]

I'm not even trolling when I say this, why did everyone thumbs down him? Honestly, he's spot on. NOW HEAR ME OUT! I hate consoles, but many gamers are idiotic fools. A.K.A. Console gamers, they are more idiots than intelligent lifeforms... you'll be amazed. Since in the gamer pop., there are more idiots, they all buy the Idiot360 thus slowly killing PC gaming. Don't get me wrong, I love my GTX 680 but he's right and you HAVE! to face it.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Well, the 680 was likely going to be released as a 670 Ti, i'm pretty much convinced of this now (after considering the evidence), which is also why the performance difference is so less b/w the two cards.

There's a good chance they have the "true" 680 in the works, but they probably don't have it ready yet, and they wanted to look good at launch.

Also, seeing that the 680/670 are based on GK104, i have a strong feeling that they'll re-release the 680 as the 760 Ti and the 670 will be the 760, just with the names GK114. I somehow doubt that GK110 will come out of hiding before the 780 is launched. Just like what they did with Fermi.

Status
Not open for further replies.