Nvidia Announces Tons of New PhysX Friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
i am running all amd hardware with a 4870 1gb, ive pretty much bounced back and forth between ati and nvidia over the years depending on the model and price at the time,

some of the recent articles ive read interviewing ati peoples
seem to be saying that by the time dx10.1 and dx11 codepath becomes standardized and streamlined it will more or less incorperate these physx type graphics with a lower performance hit than they do now, atleast thats the "gist" ive interpereted and gotten when reading interviews with ati people. im skeptical but i know ati likes suprising people. thier last few driver updates have been solid, i know hardware is only as good as the software that runs it.

does it all boil down to open cl? with that more or less incorperate and swallow all these things in the future?

sure the aquisition of aegia? or whatever gave nvidia the lead out of the gate with physx type stuff, wondering if any programmers have any insight into this.
current physx cards are super expensive and show little benefit, im personally more exited about an add in caustic card, to think i might be buying 3 types of video cards in a year or two is kind of crazy, not to mention the crossfire and sli setups growing in number by the generation, can you imagine a tri sli or crossfire setup with two extra cards, it seems like madness. 5-6 video cards for an uber machine?

maybe an article breaking down the differences between ati and nvidia's programming philosophy more in depth would be a great read and help people decide on what to buy for the future, encompassing as a whole the industry more indepth, the technologies and where things are going, i think this is a great site, and ive been a reader for ten years, alot of the readers seem smart too, wondering what everyone elses thoughts are.

its just hard to peice toghether how the new vpu/gpu's, caustic cards, physx cards and the like will really work, or not work toghether.

all of these promising technologies are great but, again where do they really meet? weve come along way since 3dfx and it seems like were almost thier in terms of cinematic gaming. lots of exiting stuff, just hard to sift through it all if your not a software or hardware engineer.

ATI has lost the Physics battle; while they are waiting on OpenCL, a uniform standard that is much more capable is already being out and supported. The fact PhysX already has console support has to be a big edge in its favor too.

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I recently purchased a 1GB 9800 GT card to replace the 9600 GT in my new box. The older card now serves as a PhysX board. I'll play a few more rounds of UT3 before rendering my verdict on PhysX.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
hardware-accelerated by GeForce GPUs when played on compatible desktop PCs.
a few games in this article were mentioned for the ps3, PC, AND Xbox 360 - but the Xbox has an ATI GPU. Now I am confused a bit..........
I thought Nvidia was talking up the advantages of owning a Nvidia card over ATI. With respect towards consoles, how is this supposed to even apply?

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]ATI has lost the Physics battle; while they are waiting on OpenCL, a uniform standard that is much more capable is already being out and supported. The fact PhysX already has console support has to be a big edge in its favor too.[/citation]

New OpenCL for ATI...thats how ^_^ Who knows, maybe the new XBOX will have nvidia in it this time

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
ive heard from several people its cheezy and some didnt even notice it. . . the clotch demo's were cool but i mean, im sure thier are other ways to program that. more than one way to skin a cat and all that.

out of the wii 2, playstation 4, xbox3, ati is powering two of them and, some other company the third while nvidia is being left out of the next gen of consoles.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
[citation][nom]brisingamen[/nom]out of the wii 2, playstation 4, xbox3, ati is powering two of them and, some other company the third while nvidia is being left out of the next gen of consoles.[/citation]
I too heard the same thing. Nintendo and ATI have a very good relationship and have for awhile, MS and Nvidia had a falling out over the Xbox (seems Nvidia likes to tick quite a few off these days) and are happy with the path paved with ATI, and that Sony has a possible interest in the new Intel GPU venture if it pans out well (which if Sony does pick this path, then they get Havok physics as well). Time will tell........

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
"but only the PC version will feature GPU-accelerated PhysX effects."

duuh, cause consoles suck .

To bad i just got a 4850.
frak physics :D

Status
Not open for further replies.