Nvidia Branded Video Cards Only Sold in Best Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
For one minute I thought that the title meant that Best Buy would only be selling Nvidia graphics cards. After the issue with the PS3 firmware update charge, this wouldn't have surprised me.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Nice Nvidia should last about three day in that market.
Pointless step.
I would say they are trying to setp on the toes of there bit players
IE xfx and evga. Sad to see BFG out. Nvidia should help them out instesd of a self brandded card.
For a high tech and generally good company, you have some dumb people working with you.

dgingeri

Distinguished
They're still Foxconn cards. I'm not touching them. reliability must be horrible, plus Foxconn relies on slave labor. I avoid anything Foxconn now if I can help it.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]I guess I won't be able to buy nVidia for long? Pity, I enjoyed using them since the GeForce 2 days.[/citation]
Huh?

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]vaughn2k[/nom]A bit of surprise, yes... maybe they're not really making money, even though a GT430 is out...[/citation]

Are you kidding me? Have you seen the price tag the Best Buy throws on these cards? Most cards from Best Buy (from what I've seen) have at least a $50 markup on top of what online vendors like Newegg and TigerDirect offer. This is a money making move, but they won't make the money until Best Buy can appeal to more enthusiasts.

I see this as something the GeekSquad will capitalize on for video card installation services.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Are you kidding me? Have you seen the price tag the Best Buy throws on these cards? Most cards from Best Buy (from what I've seen) have at least a $50 markup on top of what online vendors like Newegg and TigerDirect offer. This is a money making move, but they won't make the money until Best Buy can appeal to more enthusiasts.I see this as something the GeekSquad will capitalize on for video card installation services.[/citation]

Boy, isn't that the truth. Do these "special" NVidia cards come packed with a tube of K-Y Jelly to help ease the pain?

kin3000

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]superblahman123[/nom]Are you kidding me? Have you seen the price tag the Best Buy throws on these cards? Most cards from Best Buy (from what I've seen) have at least a $50 markup on top of what online vendors like Newegg and TigerDirect offer. This is a money making move, but they won't make the money until Best Buy can appeal to more enthusiasts.I see this as something the GeekSquad will capitalize on for video card installation services.[/citation]

It says right there in the last paragraph of the article that they are NOT trying to appeal to enthusiast customers. They are trying to sell cards on brand name alone to customers who don't know much about computers, ie. GeekSquad cunsumers.

Kind of like how Apple can sell a cement brick for $500 and call it the iPhone 5 and people will still buy it, Nvidia is banking on customers who don't know much about video cards, but know the name Nvidia.

mancream

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
This means that Nvidia is getting a cut considering its going to make BestBuy popular % up, everyone trusts Nvidia. Now will Nvidia have a good setup? I hope so!

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
I honestly don't know anyone that's ever bought a graphics card from Best Buy. If this is in response to BFG going under, well, I sort of get it. But outsourcing the manufacturing to Foxconn? Really? I mean, has Nvidia been reading the news lately? Have they seen the nets on the roofs? Seriously, those factories are straight out of that M. Night Shamylan movie where trees suddenly make everyone suicidal and people start jumping off of buildings.

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]I honestly don't know anyone that's ever bought a graphics card from Best Buy. If this is in response to BFG going under, well, I sort of get it. But outsourcing the manufacturing to Foxconn? Really? I mean, has Nvidia been reading the news lately? Have they seen the nets on the roofs? Seriously, those factories are straight out of that M. Night Shamylan movie where trees suddenly make everyone suicidal and people start jumping off of buildings.[/citation]

Actually, I have bought a couple from Best Buy before. Of course, at the time, (1994) there wasn't much commerce on the Internet and the only way to get them cheaper was mail order places from the back of PC Computing. The last one I bought was a Diamond Stealth II S220 PCI card with a Rendition 2100 chip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-accelerator-card-reviews,42-8.html

Pretty much everything since then has been purchased from Newegg.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]I honestly don't know anyone that's ever bought a graphics card from Best Buy. If this is in response to BFG going under, well, I sort of get it. But outsourcing the manufacturing to Foxconn? Really? I mean, has Nvidia been reading the news lately? Have they seen the nets on the roofs? Seriously, those factories are straight out of that M. Night Shamylan movie where trees suddenly make everyone suicidal and people start jumping off of buildings.[/citation]

the suicide rate for foxconn is below the national average, even beklow the us national average. it just gets bad press so they put nets up. its not like lemmings going off a cliff over there its a huge factory and facility the size of a city of coarse there is gonna be an errant suicide or two

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]They're still Foxconn cards. I'm not touching them. reliability must be horrible, plus Foxconn relies on slave labor. I avoid anything Foxconn now if I can help it.[/citation]

If you are trying to avoid Foxconn made products, you may as well abandon computers, gaming consoles and cell phones collectively.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]robwright[/nom]I honestly don't know anyone that's ever bought a graphics card from Best Buy.[/citation]

The best vid card I ever bought (BFG 9800 GTX+ OC) was purchased at a Best Buy. Reason? It was 30% off, and much cheaper than what newegg and amazon had for price at the time. Haven't been back to that store since!

Status
Not open for further replies.