nvidia buyers beware

G

I see kudos and praise for nvidia products so often I wonder if they write the reviews themselves. Let me just share some of my impressions based on some real world experienece as a professional animator. To go right to the point: I have yet to use ANY nvidia based card that I consider professional level in any way! They are: slow, unstable, have poor tech support, lame driver configuration and other than for getting in some Quake3 should be avoided if you actually need to work. In addition I know more than 5 friends who have had high priced Elsa (like $900 cards) to just plain die on them. By way of comparison the Oxygen VX-1 Pro ($150) by 3D Labs is stable, fast and a work horse you can rely on for great 3D and 2D. Go up to the GVX or higher and it only gets better. Or the reasonably priced FireGL2 or 3 (not the FGL1 though) and again, everything a pro card should be. Excellent performance and glitch free day in, day out. Bottom line- you want a good card (or any other hardware) check out what real companies use and like or talk to some resellers and see what their customers are happy with. Marketing hype to me may just be an indication that the company has spent less money on quality and more on glitz.

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
I think most people buy Nvidia cards for gaming purposes. On the other hand, Oxygen is THE card for proffesional graphics, however I don't think it will perform very well in games.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Wildcat is THE card for professional work. though it costs quite a bit.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

G

Actually the Oxygen cards work great for games too. At least the few I've tried (Q3 Arena etc.)

G

your comparing apples and oranges.....Nvidia rocks for end-user gaming. no questions asked. obviously, the professional market is completely different.

ignore everything i say

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Yeah I have an oxygen card for pro-engineer at work....However, It has no Direct3d support!!!
Only OpenGlide. That's a show stopper for home use!
What I don't know for sure is if the lack of direct3d is
because I'm running NT (at work), or if it's the video card just doesn't support it. Perhaps some knowledgeable person can tell us.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Right...
$900 video cards for pro use- dude, if you are really into Graphics, you gotta pay a lot for a good video card. $900 simply won't cut it- btw, did your friends try to OC the video cards- is that why they burned out?

Looking for wife able to cook, fish, have boat and motor. Please send pic. of boat and motor.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
"Beware Nvida"....hm...Well, actaully I rather blame the card maker than Nvida. The bad card I had was probably not the GPU but simply bad card construction.

But in reality I BEWARE ALL ELECTRONICS. I've had problems
with Wesern Digital, Hitachi, Evga, USDrives, motorola,....etc.

Nvidia has been the least of my problems.

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's a pretty misleading subject. I though you were going to talk about driver problems or something.

How many people around here do you think use professional level cards? 5%? Probably less, I'd say. More like 1%. And that would be higher than the general home market.

Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't apply to very many people.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

G

My main point if you missed it was that don't believe the hype. Also- as I said for less than $200 (The VX1 for example) you can get a pro card that rocks for games AND content creation. Gamers cards are misleading often because they would tend to make one think they are good for all things- in fact they ask you to compare them to pro cards in their reveiws because of benchmark spec.s etc.

Create every work as if it's your last

G

Theses cards were not over clocked that burned out. They all had the latest drivers as well on well vented systems.

Create every work as if it's your last