nVidia card and supply not enough

Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the Detonator
56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci Lan,
one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
"nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
preserve your hardware! ".
Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
Adry

iname1030 wrote:
> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the Detonator
> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci Lan,
> one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
> minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> preserve your hardware! ".
> Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> Adry

Sounds like you have too many drives connected. You might have to get a
bigger power supply or get rid of a hard drive or a DVD drive. Maybe both.

spartacus wrote:

> iname1030 wrote:
>
>> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
>> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
>> Detonator
>> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
>> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one
>> pci Lan,
>> one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
>> Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
>> But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
>> minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
>> "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
>> preserve your hardware! ".
>> Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
>> I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
>> Adry
>>

> Sounds like you have too many drives connected. You might have to get a
> bigger power supply or get rid of a hard drive or a DVD drive. Maybe both.

Not necessarily. I'm running a XP2500+ on a NForce2 board with 4
drives, several fans, and a FX5600 without hassle (plus an extra lan
card and a TB Santa Cruz) -- all on a 300w PSU.

It might have more to do with "clean" power than anything else. If the
rail going to the card isn't pure or has intermittent peaks/dropoffs,
then it's near worthless to the chip. Getting a good 400/450w PSU that
actually delivers on its rating is far more important.

Don't buy the cheap ones, spend a few bucks and get a 50 to 100 USD
Entech, Enermax, PC P&C, etc. It's worth it. A lot of cheapo 400w
PSU's can actually be 250's that peak at that level, not deliver a
constant output.

As with most higher end cards, be it from ATI or nVidia, you'll need to plug
in a power source to the card.
A standard molex connection is all you need...

Mr. Anderson

"iname1030" <[CUT HERE]iname1030[CUT HERE]@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
Detonator
> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci
Lan,
> one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
> minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> preserve your hardware! ".
> Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> Adry

Sorry, i dont have specified it on my previous explanetion!
The connector is always plugged sure and firm.

"Mr. Anderson" <Neo@TheMatrix.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> As with most higher end cards, be it from ATI or nVidia, you'll need to
plug
> in a power source to the card.
> A standard molex connection is all you need...
>
> Mr. Anderson
>

> "iname1030" <[CUT HERE]iname1030[CUT HERE]@excite.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> > I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
> Detonator
> > 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> > my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci
> Lan,
> > one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> > Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> > But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after
various
> > minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> > "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> > preserve your hardware! ".
> > Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> > I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> > Adry

Inexpensive power supply units put out nowhere near their so-called rated
wattage into real world loads, especially as the temperature in the case
rises. The hotter the power supply unit, the less wattage it can put out.
This is true for ALL power supply units.
I would highly recommend that you investigate investing an a HIGH QUALITY
brand power supply, such as an ANTEC, which is very conservatively rated in
its power output.

--
DaveW

"iname1030" <[CUT HERE]iname1030[CUT HERE]@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
Detonator
> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci
Lan,
> one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
> minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> preserve your hardware! ".
> Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> Adry

"iname1030" <[CUT HERE]iname1030[CUT HERE]@excite.com> wrote in message
> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
> Detonator
> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci

usually those wattage is a combined power rating - the problem is that high
end graphics cards do need alot off the 12V rail...Nividia (FX line) even
more than the equivalent Radeon. The current sustained on the 12V rail is
most important! If you buy a noname psu simply add an extra 100 watt to be
on the safe side. Around 500+ Watt is always good idea..

Steve

SP

looking at the spec i would put my money on the SATA drives. because they
need 2 power connectors each. Either change one of the SATA to standard ATA
or upgrade the power supply to something ridiculous like 550W.

> Sorry, i dont have specified it on my previous explanetion!
> The connector is always plugged sure and firm.

This do not sound right. 450W should be ok even for a cheap PSU. Check the
cable connection if there is loose, not the connection part. Or try another
4pin power cable and make sure all 4pins are attached.

CapFusion,...

iname1030 wrote:

> Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the Detonator
> 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci Lan,
> one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after various
> minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> preserve your hardware! ".
> Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> Adry

You get this message only if the auxillary power connector is not
connected.

Jeff B

"Jeff B" <fake@addy.com> wrote in message

> iname1030 wrote:
>
> > Hi all an sorry for my english, now the question:
> > I have nVidia Ge Force FX 5600 128MB with Bios 4.31.20.38 and the
Detonator
> > 56.72 WHQL for Windows XP;
> > my power supply is Seventeam 450W and i have P4 MB with 1GB ram,one pci
Lan,
> > one floppy, two hard disk SATA and two other drive (DVD+CD-R).
> > Up ti here nothing is the normally, i think.
> > But when i play a game, for example Enemy Territory, i have after
various
> > minutes the error message from the window-nVidia:
> > "nVidia card dont have enough supply and cut down the performance for
> > preserve your hardware! ".
> > Why ? I dont understand my power supply dont is enough.
> > I hope on yours help for this, thanks in advance and best regards.
> > Adry
>
> You get this message only if the auxillary power connector is not
> connected.

Yes is correct assumption. The 4pins probably not firmly attach but the
connection is.

CapFusion,...