News Nvidia CEO: GeForce RTX 3080 and 3090 Shortages To Last Until 2021

Jim90

Distinguished
Nvidia have problems - and it's clearly a production/correction issue rather than this smokescreen Jensen's laying. Of course, AMD have a bit of an opportunity now (though next gen consoles + Zen3 desktop will have an affect) - still, looking like AMD are in a nice place.

Aug 16, 2020
Well. Multiple times I got notifications from newegg and amazon.
From newegg, I add to the cart and then it's sold out... So until they solve bots problems nobody will have a card, I don't see how... Or you have a ridiculous luck.

I believe that Newegg and Amazon doesn't care since they sell them... If bots blocked all orders (like buy the card and cancel the order), Newegg and Amazon would fix this but they sell the card so no problem ^^.

From Amazon, I saw Card x2 prices (the last was Asus TUF 3080 at 1600$CAD without taxes) and it's 500$ above the price. Amazon shouldn't make that happens... But all those cards (above the price) are solds... I don't understand people who buy at that price...

On Twitch, people claim out loud they sold them x10 the price on Ebay...

I think we need to be patient...

Reactions: Avro Arrow
I think that people aren't thinking clearly about this. It's not like nVidia is some new kid on the block, they know exactly what they're doing. This shortage is clearly by design to increase demand and I don't get it. There are so many grownup babies that think their life is over because they can't get a... video card. Well, if that's true, they didn't have much of a life to begin with did they? LOL

This is one of the worst product launches that nVidia has ever had with prices spiraling upward and generational performance bumps tanking. It's pure marketing that's making people want these Ampere cards and people are falling for it hook, line and sinker. People were set up by nVidia with how horrible the Turing series was just so that the (mediocre at best) launch of Ampere would look phenomenal because people can't remember that not long ago the top-tier Titanium card (GTX 1080 Ti) was only $699 while the "80" (GTX 1080) card was only $599. Now the top "80" card is $699 which means that nVidia is jacking the prices right under everyone's nose and they're not seeing it. Initially, I said "BRAVO!" to nVidia for a great launch but then the independent benchmarks came in and proved that nVidia's launch was full of half-truths, special phrasing and specially selected words. I pointed this out a few days later and got attacked by the fools (which, to be fair, I expected) but I got my vindication right here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjOnWT9U96g

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I think that people aren't thinking clearly about this. It's not like nVidia is some new kid on the block, they know exactly what they're doing. This shortage is clearly by design to increase demand and I don't get it. There are so many grownup babies that think their life is over because they can't get a... video card. Well, if that's true, they didn't have much of a life to begin with did they? LOL
Business 101. Piss off a huge chunk of your highend customers who have money in hand by producing too little, because generating a huge unmet demand is better than actually making money by selling your product to people who want it. Some people might not be thinking clearly, but you aren't thinking at all.

Oct 5, 2020
Ive been doing this since 1997- and I have been an Nvidia fanatic. This pretty much seals the deal on why I am done with their products. In that time I have also become a manufacturing and supply chain expert- there is no acceptable answer to the CEOs comments. Cant predict demand? More like "enjoy setting the prices higher based on inflationary tactics"

What kind of leader gloats about stock outs? What an idiot.

I dont care what Radeon cant provide me, it makes no difference if the only difference is if Nvidia cant provide me a card at any price point. Card you have vs the one you cant find- that should be Nvidias next head to head comparison.

In an innovation year, which is now, these cards have smaller shelf windows, you will be replacing them in 2 years (unlike a non-innovation year which means the card will last 5-7 years depending on your tolerance.)

Nvidia is just not a consumer friendly brand- plain and simple. Radeon and AMD have always had my back.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Complete BS. They are having supply issues and don't want to admit it. They pissed off TSMC so they had to go to Samsung for their chips and Samsung isn't able to deliver like TSMC can.
There's no real proof using TSMC would have made any difference as a far as supply goes. We know TSMC is completely booked and will not add any more capacity. If Nvidia had gone with TSMC, who's to say their allocation would have been any better than what Samsung is currently capable of producing?

Oct 5, 2020
There's no real proof using TSMC would have made any difference as a far as supply goes. We know TSMC is completely booked and will not add any more capacity. If Nvidia had gone with TSMC, who's to say their allocation would have been any better than what Samsung is currently capable of producing?

Nvidia is a Tier 1 manufacturer- they get whatever they ask for- just like Apple.

Say what you want about the value of an RTX 2080 Ti, but at least I can use it today.
Say what you want about "using it today" but most gamers (according to Steam) are still using the GeForce GTX 1060.....TODAY. If I were still gaming at 1080p, I'd still be using my old R9 Fury.. TODAY. The GTX 1080 Ti is still a great card, TODAY. None of these cards cost $1200 and it still blows my mind that people were willing to spring for the 2080 Ti. It also blows my mind that nVidia called the sales numbers of the 2080 Ti "disappointing" despite the fact that it was $1200USD. What did they expect?

The RTX 2080 Ti is a fantastic card but a horrible value (since value is based on what else is available at the time). If you try and say otherwise, you'll be making a fool of yourself.

Reactions: wi5pa

AtrociKitty

Reputable
Apr 23, 2020
The RTX 2080 Ti is a fantastic card but a horrible value (since value is based on what else is available at the time). If you try and say otherwise, you'll be making a fool of yourself.
That's exactly the point though, isn't it? The 2080 Ti was the best gaming card during its era, so even if it was expensive in terms of performance per dollar, it wasn't bad value if you wanted outright performance. Today, because the 3080 is both cheaper and has far superior performance ("value is based on what else is available a the time"), the value of the 2080 Ti should be dramatically diminished. However, because the 3080 is nigh-impossible to obtain, the 2080 Ti isn't actually all that poor of a value (particularly if you already have one), because the 3080 isn't available.

People were selling 2080 Ti's for bargain prices on eBay leading up to the 3080 release, but if you look at completed auctions this month, suddenly they're selling for $900+ again.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

bollwerk

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
There is an easy way to not be surprised by demand ... let people pre-order them. I get that not everyone who wants one will pre-order them, but I'm sure there is some data or algorithm you can use to extrapolate from pre-order data. This whole mess seems like it would be solved by letting people pre-order, then retailers just fulfil in the order they came in. No worries about bots or whatever. Keep the limit to one per address/CC/user/etc in the beginning. Am I missing something?

Oct 5, 2020
I don't buy that this is a ploy to boost prices. They could have charged a fair bit more before people complained about the performance value. Seems to me they just suck at supply chain and predicting demand.

Reactions: McGaz and sizzling
Oct 5, 2020
Complete BS. They are having supply issues and don't want to admit it. They pissed off TSMC so they had to go to Samsung for their chips and Samsung isn't able to deliver like TSMC can.
I'm curious as to why you think you're so sure? And please don't say Adored or MLID or some conspiracy nut like them. Things we straight up know is that

1) Samsung doesn't have too many other big contracts, so fulfilling supply for Nvidia is a big deal for them.

2) TSMC on the other hand HAS big contracts to fill. Apple (phones and now macs as well), AMD (CPUs, GPUs, APUs for the new game consoles that will be in short supply according to their resp. brand), INTEL has even contracted some wafers. Meanwhile TSMC are themselves saying that they are pretty much booked full concerning anything large-scale.

and 3) that stores like newegg have explicitly said that they don't even get as much traffic on black friday compared to what they did on the 3080 launch.

Buying 699+ GPUs was not considered NORMAL before COVID. Jensen has all the reason to spin the story the way he does but all actual evidence we have is pretty much backing him up, whereas theories that say the FE was a halo card that wouldn't be restocked has so far been showing untrue (restocked every thursday so far).

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Supply issues aren't something a publicly traded company can lie about, since that obviously affect the bottom line. Intel got sued for securities fraud when it took its time acknowledging problems with 7nm. For Nvidia, the stake is massively higher since it's trying to acquire ARM.

ADDENDUM:

According to Nvidia, revenue outlook for Q3 2021 is $4.40 billion (compare to $3.87 in Q2). As far as I know, the company has not issue any warning. If Ampere is running into supply issues, then how the heck do they make the target? You can't make half a billion off a paper launch.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020
This isn't a problem of demand it's clearly supply. It's not our (the consumer) want to have this product, NVidia failed to forecast for this product launch properly.

If this really will be the case according to them that stock will be low until 2021 (WTAF!?) then they also didn't plan not just for launch, but the holiday shopping season.

For a company of this size and it's history with launches of products I find it very hard to believe they didn't foresee the interest for this series of video cards.

Oct 5, 2020
This really has me reconsidering sticking to my current GPU, or switch to AMD. I fell for the hype and have been babysitting Nvidia's website since Lanch day for a chance to buy a 3080 with nothing to show for it.

Reactions: Tiz.io
So everyone is saying that 1 year ago when this chip was started in the fabs as first silicone, Nvidia should have known how the corona virus would effect demand for computer parts.
Fab time is contracted out 1 or more years in advance for large companies.
There is no way Nvidia could have known then that the demand for their new cards would be this massive.

Reactions: Chung Leong
Oct 5, 2020
So everyone is saying that 1 year ago when this chip was started in the fabs as first silicone, Nvidia should have known how the corona virus would effect demand for computer parts.
Fab time is contracted out 1 or more years in advance for large companies.
There is no way Nvidia could have known then that the demand for their new cards would be this massive.
Not virus, but yes. They've launched cards before and know all about the demand curve and demand from alternate markets such as mining and ML. They could easily have anticipated equal or greater demand compared to the 2080 or 1080 launches which both went this same way.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
This was mentioned long ago on mooreslawisdead channel. They seem to be having yeilds issue and demand is also high. He even mentioned nvidia was paying samsung per working chip than for an entire wafer(but he was not very sure). There is no real reason why nvidia would like to sell lesser cards before RDNA2.

Oct 5, 2020
I guess I will see the new RDNA2 graphic cards before get my pre-order 3080.
Hopefully it will not be a terrible surprise.