Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang Thinks AMD's Radeon VII Is 'Underwhelming'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why so salty, Jensen? You made an awful lot of unsubstantiated claims but that's nothing new coming from you. Are you going to support them with actual data and verifiable evidence or are we supposed to just take you for your word... as untrustworthy as that happens to be?

I say this as an Nvidia owner going back several cards. Your schtick is tired, man.

redit

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Sounds like Nvidia might be getting a bit nervous. Vega vii doesn't have to be better than anything. It only has to offer better bang for the buck. Time will tell. Just ask Intel.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
yeah the radon 7 is a little disappointing with current information. But we really don't know what its able to do quite yet. IMHO AMD should have been talking about its navi architecture allot more, and if its going to try and hang on with the Polaris rererefresh this year, its going to have problems. Well if Nvidia can get its shit together and release good mid tier cards. freesync works... Nvidia might have problems with it, because they didn't and still don't want to use it; but it does work. Will also state it also works better than gsync at least with my setups.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I think Nvidia is upset that developers have screwed them over with the ray tracing and DLSS stuff. Nobody wants to properly implement support for these new Nvidia-only technologies given how few devices they actually work on. Nvidia, EA, and friends can show all the tech demos they want -- none of it matters when the end product is downgraded from the tech demos. AMD's dismissal of Nvidia's vision for the future of graphics doesn't help Nvidia move the market in the direction they want.

Except right now we have a good idea. Lisa said 30% better on average than Vega 64. The RTX 2080 FE (and I am sure some AiB cards) is on average 41% better than Vega 64 (used Anadtech benchmarks at 4K). That means on average the RTX 2080 will be around 11% better than the Vega VII. If at the same price, $699, the RTX 2080 will be the better value. If priced higher it will make sense.

I am not sure AMD will have as much price wiggle room either as HBM is much more expensive compared to GDDR6. Add in that retailers will price gouge the GPU to start since its "new" and it might not hold the bang for buck much.

In reality AMD needs a new GPU uArch. GCN has lived well past its prime.

AMD will eventually do ray tracing as well. There has never been a time when both vendors jump on the latest and greatest support wise, it takes a few years and generations to fully adopt. Tesselation was similar. AMD jumped on it pretty fast and supported it better to start. Now its in every game and both parties support it fully.

I like nVidias idea though. Hardware support for ray tracing will be superior to software support. I wouldn't doubt that AMD is working on some sort of hardware design to support it as well.

agentnathan009

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
I think Jensen Huang is underwhelming... What an arrogant bastard. He's probably scared because nVidia lost half it's value from September to November in stock market. He needs to man up and focus on selling their products rather than bashing the competition that is gaining on him and has open source at that (no egregious royalty fees).

rabbit4me1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2017
Makes me wish mean Gene was still alive and that way he could take on the two cards Head to Head like an old school wrestling match

animalosity

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
I don't even know why his negative connotation commentary was necessary. Even if AMD comes close to the 2080 in terms of performance, at $699 MSRP with the obvious AIB partners inevitably coming up with even better 3rd party cooling options is still $100 cheaper than a 2080. Ray tracing has already proven to be a bit of a joke which Jensen admits that they weren't ready for. Neither is any developer ready to jump on that bandwagon yet (if at all) either. So once again, AMD appears to offer a better bang for buck product.

Sounds like Huang is simply jealous and perhaps threatened by AMD completely utterly dominating the mid range market as well as being the first to 7NM. Even Nvidia has to outsource that to Samsung...

agentnathan009

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Jensen Huang is underwhelming... He needs is probably scared due to nVidia being worth half as much from September to November in the stock market. Only an arrogant bastard would berate another company like he is doing especially since Freesync is open source and isn't weighted down with exorbitant licensing fees.

Wes006

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
In my opinion, the real issue with DLSS and RTX tech is that this isn't an open standard and instead it's proprietary akin to many other technologies Nvidia has released. There is little traction in the industry because it's a wait and see what other companies do game aside from the additional cost that may not reap any real long-term benefit; many developers/publishers are playing it safe. Nvidia wants to spearhead their implementation of AI driven anti-aliasing/ray tracing technology and reap the rewards because of their investment, both in cost and time to develop.

cyan1d3

Distinguished
May 25, 2012
Certainly smells funny - Huang seems to be distracting from the fact their newly released cards are now officially behind on process. If the VII is underwhelming, what does that say about the 2080 considering they (at this point) seem to be direct competitors. Ray tracing is still in its infancy and until it’s widely adopted, it’s a ‘nice to have’ but certainly not a deal breaker. Only head to head reviews will settle this one.

AMD has their work cut out for them on the efficiency side of things, so it will be interesting to see how much 7nm might close the gap. I’m expecting performance to be competitive, price to be lower and power usage to be higher than Nvidia. The final price point will be the deal maker/breaker.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

The market is more complicated than this analysis implies. You don't need to be the best performer, you just need to be good enough at the right price point.

I assume Huang is referring to Ray Tracing and DLSS when he's criticizing Radeon VII. Those features have extremely limited support right now and their not essential features in 2018/2019. In the future it will be more important but AMD has a lot of time to catch up until then.

Now isn't a good time for Nvidia to be criticizing anyone's new technology in light of the backlash about GeForce RTX's lack of value. Nvidia needs to get its own house in order before they go after AMD.

Nvidia is nervous, not because of AMD but rather because they lost half of their stock value and are getting sued by investors.
Expect to see them pulling every cheap trick they can (such as this) to regain the trust of investors in the upcoming months.

Jan 9, 2019
First off Huang showed himself to be an unprofessional DB. I have always liked Nvidia GPU's over AMD, however him saying this makes me want to not purchase nvidia's hardware because of that type of behavior; he seems to be displaying some sort insecurity to me. Way to go trying to appeal to consumers (sarcasm, cough cough). Secondly, there isn't enough data yet to support his claims, simply unsubstantiated. Thirdly, certain types of tech, even if they are proven to be effective, many consumers aren't willing to spend the Xtra $$ to have it anyway. Lastly, although Ray tracing is potentially an awesome piece of tech, it is barely supported (if at all) by any games that I am aware of. Even if there are some games out there that use this tech it would be so few and far between that it's not worth having it anyway, not to mention that RTX hasn't had much experience as to determine if that tech will be that much of a difference maker or not. Many consumers are more interested in getting the best bang for the buck, not always getting the best piece of tech out there; which AMD has historically done for the most part. SMH....

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
AMD should also release a Radeon VII with half the memory, 8GB should be more than enough for most people with 1080p and 1440p wanting to push super high framerates from all those beautiful new 120Hz, 144Hz and 240Hz monitors that were showing at CES. See how much you can lower price. If that gets the price of the Radeon VII to around $500, I think they might have an attentive market.

agentnathan009

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015
Maybe he is sour about getting beat by a woman getting good products to market better than he was able to execute with RTX series. He is probably also berating AMD products because it is a smoke and mirror tactic to draw attention away from his own pathetic performance as of late by shouting out the perceived worthlessness of his competition. Sore loser he is.

elroy.coltof

Commendable
Jun 29, 2018
Shouldn't that headline read "Jensen Huang shows he has no class!"

At my first employer speaking negatively about a competitor was formally a sanctionable offense. My current employer informally has the same policy.

Always face the world from our own strenght, talking down the competition is a sign of weakness/incompetence.

He's right it's very underwhelming, the lower powered parts that were far more affordable than the current gen that were fake leaked were far more interesting. They did the same thing they did with the 590 shrink die and overclock not very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.