Nvidia CEO: The PC Has Lost its Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
I don't know what's in this guy's head but to say that hardware has reached a mature level is an understatement. Show me a 1 sec boot PC then I'll agree with you. For software developers like me who run instances of database, server, design tool and development tool, I still find Quads to be slow.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
"mature" huh? So, where's Fermi?

IMO, Nvidia should stop talking and just get to work for them to be able to put their paper-based GPU into reality.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
spans the history of Nvidia, going back seventeen years when the market was saturated with over 70 companies churning out GPUs
Yeah and its because of Nvidia there is hardly any competition left except for ATI. Two Companies (little advancement and inovation) vs 70 Companies (Sky is the limit for advancement and inovation). Brings back the good old days of 3DFX, Diamond Mult, Trident...

These kinds of capabilities are certainly within the next generation, because we have created a processor for the GPU that makes it possible to do parallel processing so much faster on a PC
Sounds awfully similar to Intel and Rambus Memory fiasco. You have to remember, Rambus Memory was much more faster and better than DDR. But, DDR was cheaper.

Jen-Hsun Huang is really saying: "ATI is kicking our behinds. We can't get Fermi out the door. People are catching onto our re-hash of older GPU's. Intel's a bitch. Um...nevermind that, look we know you guys will buy into our GPGPU processing because we are going to charge you an arm and a leg for something mediocre."

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Can we please consider the words from Nvidia's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang worthless talking to air and stop making newsposts about it. It's not like anything intelligent ever leaves his mouth. I hope Nvidia fires him and starts putting his gpu's where it's words are.

blaze15301

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
technology always amazes me because i went from a 200mghz cpu with like 28 mb of ram to a whooping tri core 2.8 cpu with all the trimmings

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
If you put it that way, I haven't been dazzled by a PC since 1992, and technically that was a Mac. And really, who cares? It does what I want it to do, and that's all I want from it. Gesture recognition sounds (almost) completely worthless and certainly wouldn't dazzle me. Reminds me of when I had a voice recognition login screen for my computer, which was fun and cool for about a week.

G

He's right.

I miss being able to go into a computer store and actually have a decent selection of PC games to choose from. I miss having unique titles exclusive to the PC instead of all half-arsed console ports. I miss being able to pop in the CD, install and then play the game without downloading 2GB of data to 'authenticate' my copy. I miss being able to install and uninstall the game as many times as I like, or on newly purchased machines. I miss the simplicity of buying and comparing hardware, 200 MHz CPU vs 300 MHz? I miss operating systems that don't take 5 minutes to boot and which can actually keep up with my typing (on high end hardware). I miss not having popups or antivirus software or other nagware bothering me in the middle of a game.

There's a lot to be annoyed about if your PC gamer these days.

G

There is still much to do before personal computing stops "wowing" users. Let's see warp-speed boot and run times, Matrix-like holographic interfaces, voice recognition that actually works and limitless storage before anyone cries foul.

joejamesatou

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
"Blah blah blah. Blah blah. Blah. Don't focus on our lack of DirectX 11 cards since AMD has sold over 1 million. I am scared."

-Nvidia's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang

pertshire

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Well PC did kinda lost it's magic. I mean there are very few innovations on today's PCs. On GPUs they only almost double whatever that was necessary from previous generations to be called fast or shrinking of the manufacturing process or improved software. There are no "blow your mind" sci-fi, radical innovations. What the guy was trying to say is that advancement was not as fast as it used to be.

Although this gesture recognition does intrigue me. Sony already has tech on their Tvs that recognise presence of humans and other elements.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
"These kinds of capabilities are certainly within the next generation, because we have created a processor for the GPU that makes it possible to do parallel processing so much faster on a PC,"

So, basically he is saying that the magic is lost, and the only way your going to get it back is through using one of their products. This statement is just self-serving rhetoric that basically comes down to "Buy Nvidia, we are your saviors."

This is a non-story from a company that is back-peddling to take the spotlight off of their tardiness to get products to the market.

[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]If you put it that way, I haven't been dazzled by a PC since 1992, and technically that was a Mac. And really, who cares? It does what I want it to do, and that's all I want from it. Gesture recognition sounds (almost) completely worthless and certainly wouldn't dazzle me. Reminds me of when I had a voice recognition login screen for my computer, which was fun and cool for about a week.[/citation]
PC= Personal Computer
A "Mac" as you and marketing geniuses call it, is a PC.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Nvidia's CEO Jen-Hsun Huang recently told the BBC News that the PC has lost its magic...

even though the company is expanding into new areas, PC gaming will still be its primary focus.

What is he trying to say here?

Translation - Hey everybody, stop worrying if your card does DX11. Just don't buy ATI products. Wait till we make a computer that's magic!

Status
Not open for further replies.