News Nvidia CFO: GPU Shortages Will Ease in 2H 2022

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
It remains to be seen what exactly Nvidia's GeForce RTX 40-series 'Ada Lovelace' graphics cards bring to the table in terms of features and performance, but if the new family significantly improves supply, gamers will certainly appreciate it.

Just hope the price is not significantly higher as well!!

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
I too hope this turns out to be true, but I'm not optimistic regarding this whole supply/demand getting stabilized at least till 2023. I think Jensen Huang has also mentioned before that we shouldn't expect the GPU market to stabilize even in 2022, though not sure if this has changed now, given the above commitment from Colette Kress.

Fingers crossed. And yes, as the poster above me mentioned, pricing of these cards is also going to be a huge deciding factor as well. But if they have enough supply of the 5nm chips, then hopefully these GPUs won't be "aggressively" priced.

BTW, a slight Typo error in your article, @ Anton Shilov. It should be 2022 instead of 2020 in the first para as shown below. Not a big deal though. Just thought of pointing this out.

The best graphics cards for gaming have been in tight supply for nearly two years now due to strong demand amid insufficient supply, but Nvidia says that shortages of its GPUs will ease in the second half of 2020.

InvalidError

Titan
Just hope the price is not significantly higher as well!!
If the performance bumps are as large as the presentations claim they are going to be (more than double) then you can expect 30+% MSRP bumps across the board. In the past, AMD and Nvidia usually spread a new smaller node's shrink potential over 3-4 generations and ~30% performance bumps per cycle. They'll want to cash in on putting out most of N5's potential right from the start.

Nov 16, 2021
"But we can speculate here a bit."
Common - Ethereum 2.0 - the merge - is currently scheduled for June 2022 and that is obviously the reason as PoW Ethereum mining then goes away. It's extremely likely that eBay etc. will be flooded with used GPUs even if there are other coins that can be mined, and this will massively improve supply.
Tom's Hardware - considering the number of crypto/mining articles you post you should be aware of these things.

DSzymborski

Titan
"But we can speculate here a bit."
Common - Ethereum 2.0 - the merge - is currently scheduled for June 2022 and that is obviously the reason as PoW Ethereum mining then goes away. It's extremely likely that eBay etc. will be flooded with used GPUs even if there are other coins that can be mined, and this will massively improve supply.
Tom's Hardware - considering the number of crypto/mining articles you post you should be aware of these things.

Considering that Ethereum's move to proof of stake has been threatened since 2016, with the move continually pushed farther into the horizon as the supposed date approaches every time, it's a bit of a stretch at this point to not take this with a huge grain of salt.

Nov 16, 2021
Considering that Ethereum's move to proof of stake has been threatened since 2016, with the move continually pushed farther into the horizon as the supposed date approaches every time, it's a bit of a stretch at this point to not take this with a huge grain of salt.
If you've been following Ethereum development closely you'd realise it's very unlikely to be delayed further this time. Sure, it might slip from June by a few months at most, but it's not going to go into 2023. Hence it is very safe for Nvidia to say GPU supply will be better in the 2nd half of 2022.

Nov 16, 2021
If the performance bumps are as large as the presentations claim they are going to be (more than double) then you can expect 30+% MSRP bumps across the board. In the past, AMD and Nvidia usually spread a new smaller node's shrink potential over 3-4 generations and ~30% performance bumps per cycle. They'll want to cash in on putting out most of N5's potential right from the start.
If they do that they will lose significant market share to Intel and AMD who can undercut them with their next gen GPUs on a price/performance basis.

InvalidError

Titan
If they do that they will lose significant market share to Intel and AMD who can undercut them with their next gen GPUs on a price/performance basis.
Look at the MSRP on the RX6500. $200 MSRP, likely $300 street price for something that performs about the same as an RX580 with a bunch of things crippled. AMD is also aiming for 2.4X as much performance on next-gen, so you can bet your shorts people are going to pay through the nose for the N5 silicon needed to achieve that. Next gen will see substantial like-for-like tier price bumps across the board from both AMD and Nvidia.

Intel is kind of irrelevant at the moment since they aren't expected to be performance-competitive until 3rd-gen in 2024. Expect street prices to still be horrible for as long as crypto-mining exists to gobble all available stock regardless.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
yay i guess. gpus are still getting really expensive and idk if that's just the shortage or because they are getting better and better. MSRP for 6500xt is actually $299 because aib partners are upping the price. $299 for 1650 super performance.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
You can trust Nvidia, Asus, EVGA, MSI, Zotac, Gigabyte, Newegg, BestBuy, Amazon, and friends to deliver a quality GPU product in sufficient quantities later this year, honest, for reals this time, we promise. They would never let down gamers, artists, and developers. The price will only be double the cost of a console for less performance, or triple/quadruple/skys-the-limit for more performance.

InvalidError

Titan
To be fair, when Jensen made that statement (that shortages would ease in 2021) nobody knew that crypto was about to take off.
Crypto took off in 2020 before the RTX3000s launched. What he screwed up on is underestimating how bad this new crypto wave was going to be when combined with industry-wide component shortage. What he couldn't predict is covid disrupting supply chains across the globe for three years.

Reactions: sivaseemakurthi

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Crypto took off in 2020 before the RTX3000s launched. What he screwed up on is underestimating how bad this new crypto wave was going to be when combined with industry-wide component shortage. What he couldn't predict is covid disrupting supply chains across the globe for three years.
When Jenson made that statement (beginning of Oct), Eth was ~$350. It wasn't up much (by crypto standards), it had already hit $250-$300 a multiple times over the previous couple years since the price collapsed in 2018. Based on prices and mining difficulty in Oct 2019, you'd make ~$1.10 per day (before electricity costs) with an RTX 3080. Compared to ~$4.50 a day a few months later (Jan 2021), and about that much today as well. Assuming $0.05/kWh, even if you were able to get the card at MSRP back then your days until break even would be ~double what it is now (with an RTX 3080 non-LHR off Ebay for ~$1850).

I guess "took off" is open to interpretation, but price didn't start seeing exponential growth and hitting new highs until months after the RTX 3000 release/Jensen's statement.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I guess "took off" is open to interpretation, but price didn't start seeing exponential growth and hitting new highs until months after the RTX 3000 release/Jensen's statement.
I meant "took off" as in ETH started the year from $130 in January 2020 and ended the year over $700 with half of that rise being after the 3000-series launch. It had been on a steady rebound with the market getting drained of nearly everything that could mine ETH long before the 3000-series launched.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
I meant "took off" as in ETH started the year from $130 in January 2020 and ended the year over $700 with half of that rise being after the 3000-series launch. It had been on a steady rebound with the market getting drained of nearly everything that could mine ETH long before the 3000-series launched.
That's not really taking off. It was $380 in October. Since then, it has hit as high as $4800 in November 2021. There's no way anyone would have predicted that much growth going 13 months forward based on January 2020 to October 2020 rise of $135 to $380. The price of ethereum went up almost $1500 in one month alone in September 2021, a year after Jensen made his prediction. The chart below doesn't go nuts until 2021 hits.

24795.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker

paul prochnow

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2015
Three-months ago just before I got my RTX 3090 dear admin, this was the same story.
I am seriously rejecting SLI so just give me the 4090 real real release date. You are flaming a hunger or desire for Ampere, and that won't give me a nice quantum leap from my lovely Zotac that is so fine BTW ( ho ho ho non-owners!)

I don't believe in any type of GPU shortage is artificial made. In my country you can find all the Gpu's , minus amd 6800 . And the real scalpers are legit computer parts shops, Nvidia 3060 is 900$ , AMD 6800xt is almost 2000$ imagine the other Gpu's prices. And you can buy them from other web sites from people a little cheaper. Who are the scalpers then ???