NVIDIA chipset, AM3, SLI, DDR3 & SATA 6GBs

uerseya

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
NVIDIA chipset, AM3, SLI, DDR3 & SATA 6GBs

Hello, been looking around for a motherboard that supports the above criteria, unfortunately it seem that at

present no motherboard does or does am I not looking hard enough ?

Looking for :

NVIDIA chipset
Supports AM3 chips
Supports SLI and DDR3 and definitely SATA 6GBs

I've got a watercooled XFX 9800GX2 card so don't really want to go the route of binning SLI in favour of

CrossfireX, and probably got a good deal on an AM3 chip so don't really want to consider an Intel chip, so .... ?

Any idea's at present ? I've read around the whole Intel vs NVIDIA legal stuff at the mo' so I know that precludes

NVIDIA's development of Intel compatible chipsets, but there seems to be no movement on a new AMD

compatible chipset with DDR3 and SATA 6GBs and of course USB 3.0, so I'm a bit stumped save for just waiting

and waiting on NVIDIA.

And for the price of a decent addin card ~£160 I'd prefer to get a new mobo instead.

Thanks in advance !

uerseya

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Sorry the add in card was referring to say a RocketRaid 640 to support 2 x Corsiar C300's so need an addin card that has access to more than just 1 PCIe lane.

hangfirew8

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

Nvidia has dropped out of the AMD chipset business, and never licensed the rights to make chipsets for the i3/i5/i7 Intel systems. They still have a few "new" niche market chipsets, such as for the Intel Atom, but they already announced they can make more money with GPU based computing. Anything you can find still available now is pretty much a dead end.

-HF

uerseya

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi HF - thanks for the response, unfortunately that's not strictly true, see : http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gpu-graphics-chipset,8821.html, there are no problems between NVIDIA and AMD that I'm aware of to NVIDIA developing AMD chipsets and if NVIDIA were not bothered about making chipsets why would they be bothering fighting Intel in court ?

Overall I think I'll have to hang fire until NVIDIA's next generation of AMD AM3 chipsets with support for SLI, DDR3, SATA III, etc. :whistle: