Nvidia chipset, ati card?

escapee88

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2007
just a quick question, I'm planning my first build, however, I dont know how "compatible" ati cards are with nvidia chipsets. Ive heard a lot of ppl with intel chipsets and nvidia cards, and they work just fine, but i havent heard of anyone with a nvidia chipset/ati card combo. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

It'll work fine. Although ideally, you should have nvidia card running on intel chipset. Nvidia makes good card, bad motherboard. :p

It's fine. I have an NVidia nForce 4 SLI chipset and ATI 2900XT in my rig and it runs fine (great, actually). The only thing you lose is the ability to crossfire (on ATI) or SLI (on NVidia) later. I haven't seen any evidence of one rigging their system against the other.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Tom's Hardware did a test a while back of ATI and nVidia cards on ATI, nVidia and Intel chipsets and they showed chipset pairing doesn't really matter.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
Unless you are planning to Crossfire your ATI display card on mainboard with Nvidia chipset, otherwise it is fine to use ATI display card on Nvidia chipset mainboard.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

It'll run fine. Dual gpu cards do not require sli or crossfire enabled boards.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yep, a 3870x2 would work fine since the Crossfire is basically built into the card itself.

However, why are you looking at nVidia motherboards??? I would only ever recommend one if someone really wanted to SLI two nVidia graphics cards... If they were just going to run one card, be it nVidia or ATI, I'd say go with Intel for better stability, support, performance, etc (in most cases anyway). Maybe if you already had the nVidia chipset I could understand putting in an ATI card, but if you're building from scratch get an Intel board with your ATI card. Get an X38 if you want to leave the door open for adding a second ATI card for Crossfire some day, or get a solid P35 board (GA-EP35-DS3L for like ~$100) if you just plan on using one graphics card.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
It would work fine, but like dagger said, Nvidia makes great GPUs but their current offering of MOBO chipset isn't all that impressive if not way over priced. If you are planing on an ATI GPU then I would go with an intel chipset. If you plan on going multi card then the x38 if not then the p35. gigabyte probably has the best boards right now.