[SOLVED] NVidia Chipset Graphics Cards that will work with Legacy BIOS ?

Oct 31, 2021
I need an NVidia chipset graphics card that can boot with a Legacy BIOS (CSM mode on a motherboard connected to an SSD that is formatted NTFS - MBR), AND ALSO UEFI bios.

I found this old thread...

and in one post it reads, "All uefi GPUs have both uefi and legacy bios, there are no uefi only graphics cards."

Is that still true ???
If I was able to find a card from GT1030 or newer, would it still be able to boot from Legacy BIOS (CSM mode on a motherbaord connected to an SSD formatted with NTFS-MBR) ???

Solution
and in one post it reads, "All uefi GPUs have both uefi and legacy bios, there are no uefi only graphics cards."
That's wrong. Every amd card from the Rx series and up is uefi only. Many versions of the Maxwell 750/ti are uefi only, most any of the RTX cards are uefi only that I know of.

A lot depends on the pcie version. AMD cards to pcie 2.3 will only work on that or newer, pcie 2.2 and prior had a different power delivery, so only 2.2 cards and older will work there. Nvidia cards will go back as far as pcie 1.1 for power delivery, but pcie 1.0 is standalone for both amd and nvidia.

Afaik, the easiest way to tell is by the outputs as far as legacy compliance goes. If it has a vga output, it's legacy compatible. No vga =...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's wrong. Every amd card from the Rx series and up is uefi only. Many versions of the Maxwell 750/ti are uefi only, most any of the RTX cards are uefi only that I know of.

A lot depends on the pcie version. AMD cards to pcie 2.3 will only work on that or newer, pcie 2.2 and prior had a different power delivery, so only 2.2 cards and older will work there. Nvidia cards will go back as far as pcie 1.1 for power delivery, but pcie 1.0 is standalone for both amd and nvidia.

Afaik, the easiest way to tell is by the outputs as far as legacy compliance goes. If it has a vga output, it's legacy compatible. No vga = uefi. Some cards by Evga are compatible with both, other vendors may or may not be.

Reactions: timeToSleepNow
Solution

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
I need an NVidia chipset graphics card that can boot with a Legacy BIOS (CSM mode on a motherboard connected to an SSD that is formatted NTFS - MBR), AND ALSO UEFI bios.

not sure if this is the answer to your question, but my ASUS GT 1030 is compatible with a very old, more than 7 years old Samsung G41 mobo - this board has legacy bios. It boots and works just fine. Adding the 1030 allowed the old backup pc (on my sig) to run KOF XIV.

GPU-Z shows that the 1030 has this.

nisfde.jpg

the 1030 has no VGA output, so I use a DVI cord to connect it to the monitor.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2021

Afaik, the easiest way to tell is by the outputs as far as legacy compliance goes. If it has a vga output, it's legacy compatible. No vga = uefi. Some cards by Evga are compatible with both, other vendors may or may not be.

Thank you. It did not occur to me to look for VGA output. That does help me.

Oct 31, 2021
not sure if this is the answer to your question, but my ASUS GT 1030 is compatible with a very old, more than 7 years old Samsung G41 mobo - this board has legacy bios. It boots and works just fine. Adding the 1030 allowed the old backup pc (on my sig) to run KOF XIV.

GPU-Z shows that the 1030 has this.

nisfde.jpg

the 1030 has no VGA output, so I use a DVI cord to connect it to the monitor.

Thank you. I have been looking at the 1030's but I was a little uncertain since only a few have a vga output. Now I know the chances are good even if they do not have one.

Oct 31, 2021
Let me give a little more info of what I am trying to do.

I have an old motherboard cpu memory graphics card etc. The motherboard and graphics card cannot work on UEFI, only BIOS. So even though I am running bootable versions of Windows 10 Pro 64bit on 5 brand new SSD's, they are all still setup as BIOS+MBR+NTFS.

Even though my old system works very well, I think it is time to upgrade. The new Z690 boards / 12th gen CPU's / DDR5 all look amazing. I was going to try to use CPU internal graphics till I read these...

https://scottiestech.info/2021/04/13/why-cant-i-enable-csm-on-my-new-motherboard/
https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1045467

This made me realize that I will need a graphics card that can boot both legacy bios or uefi.
Once I get my NTFS drives booted and the new system drivers updated, I can then run the utility to convert NTFS to GPT and then boot my drives in UEFI mode.
But based on the article, I think I still need legacy bios boot capability for all of my USB flash drives that are bootable and are formatted FAT32.

I hope this clarifies what I am trying to do.

Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
12th Gen = Big $$. Always does with new architectures. The cpu is expensive, unless you go bottom tier, the motherboards are typically rediculous and DDR 5 is stupid expensive. The companies have to make back soon all the $$ they put into R&D.

I'd not buy 12thgen at all, maybe by 13thGen they'll have all the kinks and bugs worked out, the way they did with Sandy/Ivy-Bridge, Haswell/Devils Canyon, Skylake, +, ++, +++ etc.

Reactions: Tac 25

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Thank you. I have been looking at the 1030's but I was a little uncertain since only a few have a vga output. Now I know the chances are good even if they do not have one.

you're welcome.

if you're going to get a GT 1030, be sure to get the GDDR5 version, there is a DDR4 version also named GT 1030 which is much weaker.

video comparing DDR4 1030 and GDDR5 1030.

View: https://youtu.be/a80mtoQklSo

Last edited: