News Nvidia Confirms GeForce Cards Lack P2P, Pushing Expensive Pro Cards

"If you meditate on the issue, it's easy to comprehend why Nvidia gradually dropped P2P support on GeForce graphics cards "

Here I am meditating on the issue

mrxvTS7.png

AI generated on a 4090

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
When someone wants to run 3 displays at 4K each with 3x 4090 for gaming, I suppose they are not gojng to try that with 8 GB of DDR4. But still... even if hardly a basic setup, not that far out that some may not be interested to have it - and somewhat curious that Nvidia doesn't want to give it some support, isn't it?

eye4bear

Honorable
Jul 12, 2018
The article states at one point that the 20XX cards were the last to support P2P, meaning no one noticed this when the 30XX cards were tested, which would seem to me to point out this is not really used by many. Or did I read it wrong? If so, this would seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think the article mentioned that Puget was aware of the lack in the 30 series cards. But they also had 24GB cards, so I don't think it was that big a deal. Also had the Titan in the 20 series with 24GB. Which meant that if you wanted that much VRAM there was an option that wasn't too crazy in price.

Basically separating the plebs at 24GB with the experts at 48GB who can afford to spend 4 times as much.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
When someone wants to run 3 displays at 4K each with 3x 4090 for gaming, I suppose they are not gojng to try that with 8 GB of DDR4. But still... even if hardly a basic setup, not that far out that some may not be interested to have it - and somewhat curious that Nvidia doesn't want to give it some support, isn't it?
I'm not sure I follow. SLI for gaming is gone, the 40 Series doesn't even have the SLI/NVLink bridge. You can game with 3 monitors/displays (I am currently), but as far as I know, you can only use a single GPU with 3 displays plugged into it to enable NVidia Surround. The only other way I know of that might be possible is their A series with a Quadro Sync II card.

Reactions: Eximo
Feb 28, 2023
Um, 3090s and 3090ti's do support NV link though. There's even 4 slot NV link bridges. That's something you should have already known before you ever wrote A word of this article. If You don't know the ins and outs of the products you cover how can you expect people to have any faith in your publication?

Last edited: