Nvidia Confirms New Gaming Device Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmohon

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
How bout a device to stream to my TV, keyboard, and mouse in my living room from my office PC....like steam streaming, but in a tiny single purpose device....on the cheap.

How bout a device to stream to my TV, keyboard, and mouse in my living room from my office PC....like steam streaming, but in a tiny single purpose device....on the cheap.
Steam In-home streaming already does this pretty well and from my own testing works with non-steam games you add yourself. All you need is a computer that meets the minimum specs required to stream from your office computer. A tiny Intel NUC for like $300-350 with an i3 would do the job perfectly assuming you have good wireless N signal or can run Ethernet cable. An older system with say a socket 939 Athlon 64 2.8GHZ or better and a cheap but new PCIE AMD or Nvidia card would work too.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I'm hoping this is a new SHIELD device that's a tablet with a built on controller, or an attachable controller. So it would just be like the smaller SHIELD device we already have, but you'd hold it like a Wii U controller, or Razer Edge. Basically the same concept of the current shield, but with a much larger screen and maybe the possibility for it to double as a high powered android tablet too.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
i hope they continue to make the clamshell version, because nobody else does it. i hate having 3-5 things to pack around to replace the clamshell design.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
i hope they continue to make the clamshell version, because nobody else does it. i hate having 3-5 things to pack around to replace the clamshell design.

The clamshell design is nice in some ways, but the screen is way too small for PC game streaming. I'd also note that there isn't any game out, or coming out, or any feature this new SHIELD 2 will have that the current one isn't capable of handling.

SHIELD 1 is only a year old. A new tablet form factor makes more sense than revising a product that 1. Didn't sell well and 2. Is less than a year old.

I think a Razer-Edge style SHIELD would be a great addition to the line up. Appeal to people looking for a high powered tablet as well as nice PC / android gaming portable device with physical control built onto it. It'd also give SHIELD owners a real reason to buy SHIELD 2. No one is going to buy a new clamshell version.

If you didn't get the last SHIELD, the same thing with a little more processing power isn't going to cut it as far as getting a consumer interested. It's not like there's some hot game library out there that can't be played on a SHIELD. It's currently the fastest TEGRA device out there lol.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I want a Shield 2 with Tegra K1 (Dual-Denver) and at minimum 4GB of RAM. The resolution isn't that important, 900p would be fine as suggested in the article. I want something to stream to from my 780Ti(s) on the go for gaming and as a portable HTPC as a client for my media server.

Aug 6, 2013
The Tegra 1 should be able to easily power a 1080p screen for games and everything else.
So, why the low resolution?
At 1080p and able to browse the web and play games (Steam & Android) and splashproof (Riptide 2 in the bath) I also would buy one.

That said; they will not use my idea about a more versatile tablet control system.
Nobody want to pay freelance designers commissions on profits these days (as most companies have no idea how their accountants work).
rogerthat1945 yah

Aug 6, 2013
The Tegra K1 should be able to easily power a 1080p screen for games and everything else.
At 1080p and able to browse the web and play games (Steam & Android) and splashproof (Riptide 2 in the bath) I also would buy one.

That said; they will not use my idea about a more versatile tablet control system.
Nobody want to pay freelance designers commissions on profits these days (as most companies have no idea how their accountants work).
rogerthat1945 yah

Aug 6, 2013
The Tegra K1 should be able to easily power a 1080p screen for games and everything else.

rogerthat1945 yah

Status
Not open for further replies.