NVIDIA confirms stuttering, fps drops, lag problems are an issue of their drivers

JFST

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Hi all,
I think this deserve its own thread (maybe a pinned one?) as i updated my thread but i have seen a lot of people with these so this can help them to avoid changing hardware or software.

First:
I have confirmation from NVIDIA Team Manager for NVIDIA Customer Care Europe that it is a problem with NVIDIA drivers that can affect several generations of cards, several OS (10,7...) and random hardware-software configurations.​

They are "actively working on a fix", but no ETA for it yet, as seems they have discovered this general problem recently (in part because i have been talking with them for months and showing them proofs that something was wrong in their end).

Second:
If you are having stuttering, lags, fps drops with a NVIDIA card stop looking for hardware-software problems, at least until they fix them with a driver update.

I myself have had stuttering on a lot of games; some huge stuttering and some minor but still very annoying, so read my thread for a list of games (and we can do a list of affected games if you think it can be useful).

Here some of their last emails confirming this:

1-
Hello,
(...)

In regards to the feedback that you have provided about the stuttering issue on several systems, our development team has found that there are indeed some minor glitches that will be fixed in future updates of our drivers and Microsoft Windows. We are actually working with Microsoft on solving this as apparently this is caused by some changes made in the Creators Update, which indeed affects quite a few users.

So, in conclusion, I would like to apologize for the vague replies that I have send towards you but please understand that we had not info in regards to this issue until I have received a report from my colleagues on the 2nd level of support.

Your feedback has been passed further to the team, in regards to the hardware, and they will be able to try and replicate this in on a much higher number of possible configurations. Once again, we are actively working on fixing this.

I hope that now everything is much more clearer and that we will be fixing this annoying issue very soon.

Thanks,
Costin
NVIDIA Customer Care

AND:

2-
Hello,

I took us a bit of a time to acknowledge the issue because there are so many possible configuration and so many possible causes of this that it sometimes it is quite hard for us to identify and search for a solution for certain issues that customers might experience.

In all truth, we had cases related to this kind of issues (and indeed not related only to the Pascal cards, but with some other generations) but we do not had anything official from our dev team about it, but when I got that info, I have replied to you because I do not have any reasons to hide any information from our customers.

We are working actively on fixing this and we would like for our customers to understand that sometimes the fix cannot be released in a matter of hours or days, especially when this kind of things happen randomly, on random hardware configurations, with random software installed.

As for letting the community know about this thing, unfortunately social media/forums is not my area but trust me that the feedback is already sent to the concerned team.

In regards to other versions of Windows and other generations of graphics cards, indeed I have seen reports with similar issues and we are working with the engineers to find solution. Again, it is hard to find a root cause and a solution when issues appear randomly.

As always, any feedback that you might have for is is welcome and (...).

Best regards,
Costin
NVIDIA Customer Care

(...)= Personal messages ;) .

We have to stop looking for problems on our computers and wait for a fix.
Hopefully they will fix it soon (and compensate us) as i have found tons of people with these problems.
They didn't give me more detailed info so if you think you can get more or give them some info try to contact them (in case you don't want to spend time to find it by yourself: support@nvidia.zendesk.com ) .
Take a look on this thread too if you are interested: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/941579/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-high-dpc-latency-and-stuttering/
Spread the news!!!

P.S. I don't know if i can keep this updated, so if you think the OP must be updated you can copy paste this thread on your own or you can create an updated post on the comments and i will copy paste it ;) .

P.S.2. Spread this on every forum you know and if you can make Tomshardware to create a "news" on front page it would be useful for a lot of desperate people ;) .

JFST

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Just an small update for something that seems pretty big for a lot of people, even when here it didn't have a lot of impact :p .

They are working on it, at least on a part that seems to affect a lot of users after Creators Update on Windows 10, but they acknowledge that there is an issue on other OS and generations of cards. They have released an Insiders update (something like beta versions of future Windows 10 updates) and people claims there are some big improvement but is not fixed yet.
For more info about that "after CU" problem (last pages are better as ManuelGuzmanNV from NVIDIA asks for some report logs):
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/1/

Also, this thread on reddit with a lot of people sharing this problem (not only after CU):
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/6oubum/nvidia_confirms_stuttering_fps_drops_lag_problems/

P.S. I update because i think this is an important problem (with a lot of new threads here on tomshardware that seems the same) and both NVIDIA and Microsoft seems to not confirm that the problem is on their end unless you "push" them; and others on these threads think that they won't try to 100% fix it soon unless a lot more of people complain.

JFST

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
Some links where microsoft acknowledges problems on Windows, after CU, even when some people has them on other OS (maybe the other problems are because of NVIDIA drivers, but no news from them yet -they said they are working on it too-):

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/pc/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-creators-update-stuttering-game-bugs/1/
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-finally-gets-around-fixing-windows-10-creators-update-gaming-performance-issues/

Link to Microsoft Feedback Hub if you want to upvote:
https://aka.ms/gi5dvo