Nvidia Considering AMD's Globalfoundries

Status
Not open for further replies.
business is business

[citation][nom]computabug[/nom]"But now, we've reduced the inventory greatly to lower the risk," he added.That really gives me the confidence to buy Nvidia.[/citation]

NEARLY OUT OF 8800GT/8800GTS/9600GT/9800GT/9800GTX/9800GTX+/GTS250 GPU's!

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
hey, 8800GT/9800gt/250gts = same stuff so in all

"NEARLY OUT OF 8800GTs" .

nvidia hasnt made a new gpu for 2 years, same stuff just slightly improved.
From my view the 250 is a 8800gt on steroids.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
marraco:

[Nvidia found itself over-stocked]

... but not enough to cut GT280 prices to afordable levels...[/unquote]

Well, yeah :)

But I think it ultimately depends on manufacturing costs for that behemoth of GT200, as well as company marketing...

And on to the topic, it's hardly surprising that nVidia is considering working with Globalfoundries, as the latter's job is to mass produce silicon from contracting partners. Hek, even Intel could employ them :D (that'll be the day, AMD waiting in queue for the production lines to be able to manufacture its processors)

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
[citation][nom]archange[/nom][/unquote] - oh that was smart...Tom's, please add the damn edit button!Now where's the damn coffee!!![/citation]

You know you can go into the News part of the forums and edit your post there.

They took our coffee machines away at work to save money :(

GAZZOO

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
But the surprising little tidbit of news stemming from the interview was the revelation that Nvidia is currently in talks with Globalfoundries, a spinoff manufacturer from Nvidia's rival, AMD/ATI.

This Globalfoundries is it owned by AMD/ATI or does Globalfoundries own some of AMD/ATI. And if so would it realy produce product for the Compony that has been rivaling it since the year dot
But then again Nvidia didnt get to where it is now by shere invention and technologe they had to buy out and take over the componies that had the patens and brains to make what they wanted, they have been useing or deeling with AMD/ATI for years but then there are these laws out to combat monopolization so AMD/ATI had to. So I supose that Nvidia if it wanted to use Globalfounderies to make a fare serperior product to trounce AMD/ATI with its own compony or resorse compony that would be the way to do it as for product superiority I think from the articles I have read here on toms that they are pritty even although ATI is far ahead in new tec wisebut Nvidia has its Driver backing that has always backed up there product

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]hey, 8800GT/9800gt/250gts = same stuff so in all "NEARLY OUT OF 8800GTs" .nvidia hasnt made a new gpu for 2 years, same stuff just slightly improved.From my view the 250 is a 8800gt on steroids.[/citation]
I thought the 9800 GTX+ and GTS 250 were the same. Plus aren't they 55nm and the others are 65nm? I don't really think those two cards compare to an 8800 GT or a 9800 GT. the 8800 GTS might be a closer comparison but even that card at least runs better than the GT cards.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't see why people would be surprised that NVIDIA might use GLOBALFOUNDRIES for chip production. Although AMD still has interest in the company doesn't mean jack squat as GLOBALFOUNDRIES is now its own company free to get into any contracts it pleases.

[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]hey, 8800GT/9800gt/250gts = same stuff so in all "NEARLY OUT OF 8800GTs" .nvidia hasnt made a new gpu for 2 years, same stuff just slightly improved.From my view the 250 is a 8800gt on steroids.[/citation]

ummmm durr thats what i ment by my post - read it again

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Nothing wrong with shopping for a better contract manufacturer. The thinking may be that GF can do a superior job. What is good for GF is good for AMD so this is interesting to say the least. Certainly there will be some sort of nastygram coming from Intel on the whole ordeal in a matter of a couple of days if talks are already taking a serious tone for Nvidia GPU manufacturing. Just a way to keep GF chugging along full blast even if CPU sales go stale if it resonates.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]From my view the 250 is a 8800gt on steroids.[/citation]
Or you could just say it's an 8800GTS, or 9800GTX, or 9800GTX+. All are true for the most part. Mind you the GTS250 is an amazing card from a business perspective. Same old tech and people who bought the older cards are buying the exact same thing with a higher price tag!

G

OH NO! NVIDIA IS FAILING... DO I CARE... NOPE!!!

... Oh what that mister 4870 you have very potent powers... yEs YoU dO ^__^

Status
Not open for further replies.