Question Nvidia Control Panel Changing Monitor HZ on its own

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
Hello, I am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this. Wasn't sure where to ask the question.

Yesterday while playing Overwatch, my game started to feel sluggish and then speed up randomly for seconds at a time. My fps remained the same and my ping remained the same as well while this was going on. I didn't think much of it at the time and it happened on the last game so I just logged off. I then went to play MTG Arena a little bit later to see if it was just overwatch. While using Fraps to check the fps, I noticed that while the game said it was at 160 fps (I set it to this manually in the Nvidia Ctrl Panel), it was also chugging along like it was only displaying 60 FPS.

I have a gtx 970 (Sigh). I then went into the Nvidia Control Panel to see if something happened. I have 3 monitors, my main is using a Displayport cable and my other 2 are on Dvi-d. In the Ctrl Panel, I saw my main monitor with the DP connection could only produce 100 or 85hz, but the other 2 monitors were fine. I did not touch anything and it seemed that the Ctrl Panel did this on its own. I went into Windows display settings and tried to change it there, but Windows was also doing the same thing. I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, it went back to 144hz, but then I noticed it couldn't go below 85 in the Ctrl Panel, however in windows I could change it from 60 to 144 just fine.

I tried 2 different cables, cleaning out my drivers using DDU and updating to the latest driver (I had the drivers just before this most recent one) as well. I then tried my DP cables on my other monitors, much to my surprise, the same problem happened, but again, the Dvi connections were perfectly fine.

Right now in the Nvidia Ctrl Panel (it is up to date), if I use a DP connection on any of my monitors, in the NCP, it doesn't allow below 85 hurts. Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a problem, but I am worried that the Control Panel might decide to change the Hz of my main monitor on its own again and I won't lie, as pathetic as it is, I get upset and worried when things are not working right. I wanted to ask if anyone else has had this happen to them either in the past or recently and/or if there are some new bugs with the Nvidia Control Panel I haven't heard about yet.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
By updating, did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers and then equipped with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, installed the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Make and model of your motherboard and the BIOS you're on for said motherboard? What OS version are you on if you're on Windows 10?

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
By updating, did you use DDU to uninstall your drivers and then equipped with the latest drivers sourced from Nvidia's support site, installed the drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Make and model of your motherboard and the BIOS you're on for said motherboard? What OS version are you on if you're on Windows 10?

Hi there, thank you for replying!

I cleaned out the drivers using DDU, but downloaded the driver from the official website and I did not do run as admin first. Honestly I never do that, never thought I had to.

Z390 Aorus pro
9900kf
My current bios version is F12d
Currently on Windows Version 1909. I did update to 2004 at one point, but when I did all sorts of weird stuff happened and so I reverted back to 1909. I have the latest updates for 1909 currently as of writing this.

My monitors are 2 Asus VG248 (one of them is my main monitor with the DP cable) and the other is an Asus VG278. (For anyone reading this in the future, stay away from the 278. It has skipping above 120HZ and really is not worth the money)