Question NVIDIA Control Panel default screen refresh rate for all configurations

pulmoll45

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Howdy!

I've recently upgraded my screen to a higher resolution and faster refresh frequency one, but in the meantime forgot to upgrade my ancient DP cable, which is probably too slow to support the bandwith required.
That's my hypothesis, as when I've turned on the monitor, there was no signal message displayed. Then I've turned on my TV which is connected via HDMI cable, Win+P to appropiate display mode, and went into settings.
There I could see that the monitor was properly detected by windows, so I've turned down the refresh frequency via NVIDIA control panel down to 120Hz and the monitor came back to life.

Now here's a catch: I don't need my TV during everyday use, so I've turned it off, and Win+P to monitor only setting, only to end up with a blank screen again.
When I've been fiddling with settings in NVIDIA control panel I've realized that the frequency rate changes depending on the current configuration (i.e. monitor only, expand screen, mirror screen, etc.) - it defaults to the highest setting every time, and any changes there are only saved for the current configuration.

So here comes the question - can I save the refresh rate for all configrations, basically selecting a default value instead of always going for the highest one available?
Can I manually edit the setting via some config file? Where could I find it?

Of course, I could go to the nearest store for the new DP cable, but where's the fun in that? :D
(and the shops are closed for the nearest two days where I'm at, so finding the answer might be the fastest option)

pulmoll45

Reputable
Oct 13, 2017
Did you try restarting windows?
I did do the whole unplug the power source, DP cable, wait a few minutes, reconnect the power source, power on, reconnect DP and all this stuff, but no dice.

Nvidia driver is up to date?
I did update the GPU drivers prior to writing the first post.

Don't use Nvidia settings, set it in windows display options directly
Been there, done that - it seems to act the same way as NVIDIA control panel - perhaps one is overriding the other with the default settings?

Check if the monitor has an option to alter the refresh rate in the OSD.
Can't find the option to do so, and the manual doesn't have any info on that. The only option that vaguely suggests having something to do with refresh rate has already been turned down to the minimum (overdrive).
The monitor is HUAWEI MateView GT 34-inch - maybe there is some way of enabling a hidden menu?