[SOLVED] Nvidia Control Panel Locking GPU Clocks.

Oct 8, 2021
I’ve been trying to figure out for the past hour why, at idle, my GPU clock speed was locked at 1800MHz, my memory clock speed was locked at 9502MHz, and my power draw was at 110W. I found out (at least with my EVGA 3080Ti) that when you set “prefer maximum performance” in the Nvidia control panel, it locked my GPU board and memory clock speeds at its boost values even under 0% load.

Now that I’m back on the “normal” setting it seems to be idling normally. But, is there any way to have that setting turned to prefer maximum performance without it affecting idle speeds?

Also if I do leave it on, are there consequences to having it at max clock speeds at all times?

Solution
it is what is says...prefer maximum performance will run GPU in P0 mode...which means it wont use lower P states to reduce power draw
you can set individual apps for max performance (games) in nv control panel, while in global setting leave it in normal mode
it is what is says...prefer maximum performance will run GPU in P0 mode...which means it wont use lower P states to reduce power draw
you can set individual apps for max performance (games) in nv control panel, while in global setting leave it in normal mode

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
Also if I do leave it on, are there consequences to having it at max clock speeds at all times?
No, there is no consequences in doing so, as long as you have good air flow / good temps. Your card will always run hotter in idle situations but as long as your temps,, you are good. This is still less stressful than a 24/7 mining with the cards and that doesn't impact the cards either.

Reactions: govvern