[SOLVED] Nvidia control panel settings made my gpu really unstable?

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
Okay so this just seems so odd to me, i work with pcs and ive never come across this. But I recently bought a OC Gigabyte 2080 super, and i watch JayzTwoCents video on overclocking when the 2000 series came out, first thing he did was change the settings in nvidia control panel, the Power management to prefer performance, and texture quality to high performance. I HAD NO ISSUES at all for 3 weeks using this card until i did these steps. But then i downloaded afterburner and some benchmarking software, set a low overclock, loaded up heaven benchmark, crashed 2 seconds in. So i was like wth? I hardly even overclocked the card, i was bearing in mind the card i have is factory overclocked already but its not exactly a massive overclock. However, i then loaded up one of my most played games Dead by Daylight, it was either crashing in the menus or when loading up (again never happened before), so i was like ok then maybe i just cant overclock the card at all, removed it all went back to default. Problem still persisted, so i removed my custom fan curve just incase, still happening, so i uninstalled afterburner so it had no affect at all, still same problem.

I then went back and restored my nvidia control panel settings back to default, and the problems resolved, Ive not been playing for 2 hours straight with no crashing, when i couldnt even get passed the menus before when i had the control panel settings. Which i find just extremely odd, because surely the settings are safe to change to whatever you want without crashing and black screen errors, otherwise whats the point its nvidias control panel? Anybody else had any problems with the control panel in the past?

Solution
try removing all graphics drivers and settings with DDU.
after removal & restart reinstall the latest available package from Nvidia without GeForce Experience.

then try resetting your preferred options in NCP and see if the issue persists.

KingC12

Honorable
Aug 1, 2017
try removing all graphics drivers and settings with DDU.
after removal & restart reinstall the latest available package from Nvidia without GeForce Experience.

then try resetting your preferred options in NCP and see if the issue persists.
That seems to have solved the issue of crashing, Ive not had any crashes since removing the drives. I completely forgot aswell that on the hard drives im using i once plugged in a rx 580 to test it to see if it was working about a year ago aswell, so it probably was that, ive had about 8 gpus connected in the last year (i buy fix and sell a lot of parts, or I used to before the market went mad) so i reckon that could be in but ill try an overclock tomorrow to see.