[SOLVED] Nvidia control panels shows 144hz monitor as 120hz max when using 'native' resolution 1080p

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
When choosing my monitor resolution and refresh rate through the Nvidia control panel, the max refresh rate option is capped to 120Hz if I want to use 1080p native. (The max refresh rate options in Windows settings changes with what I set in the Nvidia control panel) But if I scroll down the list of resolutions to the PC section and I choose the 1080p option that doesn't say native, then it will let me use 144hz.

I am using a 1080p 144Hz Freesync monitor (Viewsonic XG2405), advertised as gsync compatible. Gsync seems to work since it lets me enable it in the control panel and the refresh rate of the monitor does change with fps. Using displayport 1.4 with a VESA verified dp cable and it's plugged into an RTX 3060 Ti

Should I use the 'native' mode and sacrifice 24Hz over using the regular 1080p mode? Someone told me that some Freesync monitors were throttled to meet stability requirements for Gsync or something along those lines of reason. Can someone explain why when using the 'native' option it won't let me use 144hz and it's capped to 120hz?

Solution
i think the first options probably more for a TV with 120hz refresh rates. to be honest i did not know why nvidia need to make this kind of separation in their control panel.
open your control panel and look at "change resolution" section. usually it mentions "dynamic super resolution" (if you enabled it DSR), then below it "Ultra HD, HD, SD" and finally if you continue to scroll down you will find "PC". chose 1920x1080 from the PC sub section if you want to enabled 144hz. if you choose it from "Ultra, HD, SD" 1920x1080 (native) the refresh rates will be limited to 120hz max.

i've also got confused by this setting when i first got my 144hz monitor. it has nothing to do with freesync limiting the refresh rates. my monitor also freesync monitors although i don't think it is certified as Gsync compatible. and when i forcing VRR via nvidia control panel my refresh rates still goes to 144.

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
open your control panel and look at "change resolution" section. usually it mentions "dynamic super resolution" (if you enabled it DSR), then below it "Ultra HD, HD, SD" and finally if you continue to scroll down you will find "PC". chose 1920x1080 from the PC sub section if you want to enabled 144hz. if you choose it from "Ultra, HD, SD" 1920x1080 (native) the refresh rates will be limited to 120hz max.

i've also got confused by this setting when i first got my 144hz monitor. it has nothing to do with freesync limiting the refresh rates. my monitor also freesync monitors although i don't think it is certified as Gsync compatible. and when i forcing VRR via nvidia control panel my refresh rates still goes to 144.
I did say in the post that I already know this. My question is why is this happening. I appreciate your detailed response nonetheless

don't think so. the control panel nvidia had right now it is still the same control panel interface that we had since windows xp era. if windows really have full control on nvidia control panel then it will adopt more modern interface what windows 10 has been pushing.

TRENDING THREADS