[SOLVED] Nvidia Cooler Inter-compatibility

Jan 22, 2020
Hi all,

I am in an IT course and we have realized we have a GTX 960 on hand with a broken cooler. (fan wrecked in theft attempt several years ago)
We also have a perfectly function GTX 750 on hand and were wondering if we could transfer the cooler from that card over

Will it run fine with new paste or is that a bad idea? Will it cook immediately or do you think we'll get away with it?

Solution
Really depends on the cooler in question. Whether it fits, firstly. And secondly, whether the 750 cooler happened to be oversized.

I would say generally no, not a good idea. But as long as it has a heatsink it will likely work, but the GPU will just throttle if it gets warm.

Plenty of aftermarket cooling solutions that aren't too expensive for a mid-range card like the 960.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Really depends on the cooler in question. Whether it fits, firstly. And secondly, whether the 750 cooler happened to be oversized.

I would say generally no, not a good idea. But as long as it has a heatsink it will likely work, but the GPU will just throttle if it gets warm.

Plenty of aftermarket cooling solutions that aren't too expensive for a mid-range card like the 960.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS