News Nvidia Could Be Working On Two New Shield TV Models

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I hope the make a new device that I can actually put in my living room and doesn't make it look like a 13 y/o kids room.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Another wasted opportunity by nVidia. We already know ARM is the future. 4 x 3.0 Ghz A76 CPUs married with the cheapest turing GPU (the GTX 1650) running at low power in a SoC would beat the PS4 for $200 and be a great product. They don't even try. They want to make money off of silicon that costs $10. The Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the shield TV. The low power version of the 1650 is a 35W max chip, so about the same as the Wii U, about 1/4 as much on average vs the launch PS4 most likely. Can use the chip in a Nintendo console also.

I've been waiting 4 years. I've already given up. We know whatever they will release will be half-baked, I might buy the next Apple TV 4K instead at this point.

Last edited:
Another wasted opportunity by nVidia. We already know ARM is the future. 4 x 3.0 Ghz A76 CPUs married with the cheapest turing GPU (the GTX 1650) running at low power in a SoC would beat the PS4 for $200 and be a great product. They don't even try. They want to make money off of silicon that costs $10. The Raspberry Pi 4 has a faster CPU than the shield TV. The low power version of the 1650 is a 35W max chip, so about the same as the Wii U, about 1/4 as much on average vs the launch PS4 most likely. Can use the chip in a Nintendo console also.

I've been waiting 4 years. I've already given up. We know whatever they will release will be half-baked, I might buy the next Apple TV 4K instead at this point.

Games written for x86 won't play natively on ARM processors unless they're designed to do so from the beginning. Even Epic games had to hire an ARM game developer (tenacent) to make Fortnite in parallel with the x86 versions. So it's not like if nVidia built an rediculously powerful shield, that there would be the top tier games to play on it.

Also, ATV 4k is awesome, I have a nimbus controller for it. It actually has better games for kids than xbox.