[SOLVED] "Nvidia deliberately slow down old graphics card in new drivers" How much is that true?

oldcracc

Reputable
Apr 10, 2019
Probably just a biased article trying to get clicks. It's most likely that NVIDIA just stopped releasing drivers for older cards like the 6 or 700 series cards because I don't think they'd pull a move similar to what apple did with their iPhones and deliberately slow them down.

Ehhh. I think it's more: they quickly stop optimizing drivers for the old cards.

this is common for both AMD and nvidia. in fact if you look at history it is AMD that is much faster drop support than nvidia. it happen with HD4k vs GTX200, HD5k/6k vs GTX400/500. people saw what happen with kepler once and they conclude that nvidia has always drop support first before AMD. even with kepler it does not really have to do with support. with kepler it is more of architecture issue in which no amount of optimization can fix. some of the changes made to maxwell was to address this.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
this is common for both AMD and nvidia. in fact if you look at history it is AMD that is much faster drop support than nvidia. it happen with HD4k vs GTX200, HD5k/6k vs GTX400/500.
It's not so much about completely dropping support so much as older cards don't really see any performance gains (maybe even small performance drops) with new drivers. Whereas drivers will often state that they provide X% fps boost [in such and such games] for cards from the latest gen.

It's not so much about completely dropping support so much as older cards don't really see any performance gains (maybe even small performance drops) with new drivers. Whereas drivers will often state that they provide X% fps boost [in such and such games] for cards from the latest gen.

in sense of driver optimization for games yes that make sense. but you want support not just because of game optimization. for example you can still use those old card on spare machine. and sometimes you just want it there so you can do some decent job or little gaming with it. but then you also want the machine to use latest operating system for example.once i've found one forum question on AMD official forum about those HD4k series support on windows 8.1. AMD rep said the card has been long being put on legacy status so there is no win 8.1 driver for the card. then the user directly ask why nvidia 200 series have official support for win 8.1 while AMD card from the same generation did not?

for gamer long driver support will be crucial for those running multi GPU or dual GPU. i still remember the rage when AMD officially stop supporting those 4k series only after 3 years on the market. for single cards the game will still run even if you're not using the latest driver but those with cards like 4870x2 the second GPU really end up being a waste. and back then cards like 4870x2 still pack quite some punch if crossfire really working. good thing is multi GPU are much less relevant right now.