NVIDIA Demonstrates GPU Processing at SIGGRAPH

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardcore_player

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
iray rendering engine use gpu rendering which takes much less time than mental ray in rendering a large scene with a great amount of details and light bounces in GPU Photorealistic Rendering .
i remember when it was tested for comparison between cpu and gpu render times on gtx 590, Quadero k5000 and a core i7 980x .
although gtx 590 can use cuda cores for rendering , it becomes extremely hot and unstable unlike the Quadro which is meant to be used in long render times .
but gpu rendering is great to test scenes and adjust you regular Mental Ray renderings for a physical correct look, though using a rendering engine like mental ray or vray is somehow better because you can tweak the look and speed of renderings on how you want it .
CPU support a wide range of instruction, including vector instructions. Also CPU cores can handle any loops and conditions. Compared to that GPU-s are much more limited. They can't really use conditions affecting many type of loops, and if they run out of tasks, they can't proceed to the next steps - but they are massively more cores compared to CPU , take for instance the old gtx 590 vs the newest intel corei7 4960x .
a 1024 cuda cores vs 6 cores comparison , the numbers can tell .

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Ghostery blocked all the vid crap for me ;) I all see is little blue ghosts...LOL.

Nice try toms.

Only the last one is playable (NOT from brightcove ad crap).

voltagetoe

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
In my experices: Nvidia = generally somehow weirdly unresponsive system. On one workstation my SSD performance went significantly up when I took Nvidia out - no idea why. AMD cards don't cripple a PC - everything feels much snappier.

nikolajj

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
In my experices: Nvidia = generally somehow weirdly unresponsive system. On one workstation my SSD performance went significantly up when I took Nvidia out - no idea why. AMD cards don't cripple a PC - everything feels much snappier.

It is posible, that your PSU can't handle it, or your cooling is crippling. Maybe your motherboard is too cheap. I don't know, but it is not allway that simple.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

GPU'S don't cripple SSD perf. You had other issues.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

Sometimes. Sometimes not. You can make scenes that are faster on CPU than GPU. You can easily make scenes no GPU can load.

Status
Not open for further replies.