Nvidia: DirectX 11 Won't Define GPU Sales

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustseehdtv

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I remember when 3DFX stock tanked and then a several months later they disappeared. Well Nvidia bought 3DFX (patents, etc.) and Nvidia stock took a nose dive last year. Are they going the way of 3DFX? Looks that way.

BTW, I lost alot of money on both 3DFX and Nvidia stock.

[citation][nom]thomasjm52[/nom]Can someone tell me where in this article it says NVidia does not have a dx 11 card? You idiots really think nvidia is goin out of buisness cause you havent heard a dx 11 card? There just putting their eggs in multiple baskets for example TEGRA. Come out of ur parents basement, get a girlfriend, and get up to date on ur information. You just worry about ati getting their drivers to work with their cards then u can talk smack.[/citation]

I am sorry, but you seems to be wearing fanboy googles, not us. Nvidia got the same speech since ATI presented their first DX11 GPU to the press. They want to stick with PhysX and think everyone will follow on something that is not a standard.

By the way, ATI drivers are great. Sincerely, my ATI 9800 pro was easily the best card I ever owned. Right now I am using 2 4850 OC on crossfire and the performance for the money is incredible. I saved half the money for the same performance I could have got with Nvidia and a 285GTX. ATI drivers buggy? I got cards not even made by ATI partners and they present any buggs with ATI drivers.

[citation][nom]mustseehdtv[/nom]I remember when 3DFX stock tanked and then a several months later they disappeared. Well Nvidia bought 3DFX (patents, etc.) and Nvidia stock took a nose dive last year. Are they going the way of 3DFX? Looks that way.BTW, I lost alot of money on both 3DFX and Nvidia stock.[/citation]

I don't hope it's true, Nvidia without ATI is not Nvidia... and vice versa.

thomasjm52

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
ok you ati fanboys win the argument your cards are the best because they are cheaper. We will just forgot about when TH runs hardware test ati cards only come ahead on 2 out of 8 games. Hey but your cards are cheaper and good thing cause i wouldnt want to pay for second best.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Wow,
Mega fail on Nvidia for no DX11 support.
I'm still running a DX9 video card and WinXP(gess I'm still on a 939 socket). My Next PC build will be Win7 based and you can be sure it will have a DX11 card in it. There is no way I'm preforming a massive new build with technology that's a generation old.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]steiner666[/nom]hey nvidia, you know what i want my GPU to do? PROCESS GRAPHICS!!![/citation]

Man, that was witty, because the next Nvidia card has dropped graphics support? Are you mad because Nvidia will play games and speed up render times for video instead of just play games? That makes sense....

Anyway, some of these comments are ridiculous and Nvidia is not going anywhere.

They have DX11 cards in the works and they will support OpenCL. I think what they are getting at is this, the professional world will have a reason to buy these cards as well. If I was using Adobe premiere pro I would sure as hell want to reduce my render times by ridiculous amounts.

To be honest I am very keen on the 58xx line of ATI cards and have been pleased with their latest driver support on my 4850 but; I bought that card well aware of what the competition had to offer. I will most likely wait until early spring to buy, if Nvidia has nothing and my games are chugging then a 58xx I will go.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]agentjon[/nom]Wow,Mega fail on Nvidia for no DX11 support.I'm still running a DX9 video card and WinXP(gess I'm still on a 939 socket). My Next PC build will be Win7 based and you can be sure it will have a DX11 card in it. There is no way I'm preforming a massive new build with technology that's a generation old.[/citation]

What the hell, where did you get this info that Nvidia will not have DX11 support???

ATI is coming out with a DX11 card first, that is all.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]To NVIDIA: Stop puking out crap trash talk and start to make DX11-compatible card![/citation]
http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/15/nvidia-gt300-yeilds-under-2/ if this is anything to believe, they really can't.

G

I think they are in a different mindset because they are going to be behind.

My theory...

Nvidia: Well a new series of cards for a new API never take off too well and cost a fortune to produce, so lets hold off, price our current cards less and max out profit for the next line-up of cards down the road.

Isnt this the same thing they did with the geforce fx 5xxx series cards, waiting to deliver on the 6xxx.

Unfortunately i dont see this being a good move as this new API being a super set of the previous, its not like the switch from dx8 to dx9 was.

falang

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
"Nvidia's CUDA GPGPU technology is also incompatible with OpenCL and DirectCompute 11 environments." This is completely false. Cuda and OpenCL are very similiar. Nvidia probable just wrote a wrapper for Cuda to create their GPU OpenCL driver. AMD does not have a GPU OpenCL driver. They have only managed to come of with a CPU OpenCL driver. Since it runs of the CPU and not the GPU, AMD's OpenCL implementation is at least an order of magnitude slower than Nvidia's. Nvidia's graphics cards are super computers, AMD's are not.

uronacid

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I'm really looking forward to the new 5XXX series. NVidia's been too prideful for too long. It's nice to see them fall. It makes you feel good inside.

fastz28camaro1981

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Nvidia will come up with something, it's just how it works, they understand how Video Cards work just as much as ATI does, do people really think the people over at Nvidia are going out of this minds right now?

"OMG, WTF!!! what's this DirectX11 thing!!"

for all we know they could be developing something better, and it's just taking longer.

it's ignorant to just think they have failed, and Nvidia is going to go bankrupt, lol

Nvidia also offers Nvidia 3D Vision, which is a reason to choose Nvidia over ATI anyways, your better off to me 3D gaming is more significant than DX11, but we'll have to wait and see.

Waiting a bit more to see what Nvidia has, if they have a DX11 card (Which they will) it will have the upper hand, because it will have what ATI has, and then some, with the 3D gaming.

unless of course ATI incorporates a form of "3D Vision" into their DX11 cards, then really it would come down to price to performance. How much you wanna spend vs how much performance you want. :)

G

Well i bounce back and forth from nvidia to ati in the past depending on whos card was better but after seeing nvidia downplay 10.1 because "it wasnt important" and now "DX 11 isnt important, GPGPU is..." . PLZ............
OpenCL is the new CUDA and ATI will be supporting all of that GPGPU with their DX 11 cards......
in addition... i guess the 2% yeilds were right on target, their really not ready for DX 11... i bet $ they done have 1 till 6 months after ATI has theirs on the market, and when nvidia releases theirs they will say "DX 11's visuals are the driving power behind their cards... lol

2% ...... PLZ! http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/09/15/nvidia-gt300-yeilds-under-2/

falang

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
In 1999, I was programming a 3d graphing programming using my 3dfx card. It had a higher triangle/second rate that nvidia's new GeoForce card. Obviously the better card. Until I realized that the GeoForce card could do a per pixel dot product. Thus allowing me to create the same 3d surface with a lot less triangles and a vastly superior result.

Well guess what? This is Cuda. Nvidia cards are already a couple of generations a head of AMD's. The two companies are not on the same path anymore. Nvidia has risked their current short term profits to advance the future. Videos games are simulations of reality. It is not just about graphics. Simulating reality is about Physics both visual and physical.

PC gamers have paid the way for advancements in Graphics and Computing that console gamers now enjoy off our backs. PC gaming was never about the cheapest experience but the best. I maybe wrong, but I think that the electrical engineers and computer scientests at Nvidia are motivated by more that short term greed. They are motivated by the work they do and they amazing things they can create.

Buy AMD cards. Competition is good. Maybe Nvidia's gamble won't work. Although, I can't see why anyone would want them to disappear. Actually, I think AMD is in trouble, but alot of you seem to think different. It all about short term versus long term thinking, and we know how well that worked for the banks.

falang

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Sharksdomain,

I guess you missed my previous post. AMD's graphics cards do not support OpenCl. They only have a CPU OpenCl driver. Nvidia's and AMD's chips designs are fundamentally different now. It is not just about some parallel computing API that someone has programmed up. Nvidia OpenCL is at least 10 x = 1000% faster that AMD's OpenCl driver. What Nvidia should do is create a Physx driver for OpenCl and let the bench marks roll.

falang

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Google Apple discussions for AMD and OpenCl.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: OpenCL sample projects do not work on Radeon 4870

I am also disappointed by this. Besides the fact that the code samples don't work, I bought the card expecting to get 800 processing units at 750Mhz each -- not the four units that I get by querying the card from within the API.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Why are they getting four units? It is because the driver is using the CPU and not the GPU.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
Hey guys, relax. Some stupid guy from NVIDIA makes some offhand remark. That does not mean that the next NVIDIA card will suck, it may be fine. It may be even very good, given the fact that they did not upgrade architecture for long time, and now they have some extra time to work over their card compared to ATI. Just wait and see.
And even if it will be worse than ATI, so what? That's the spirit of competition! As if the ATI cards were always on top...

redraider89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I don't think Nvidia is going down. Remember, ATI was in a similar situation with DirectX 10. Nvidia had DX10 a long time before ATI but ATI hung in there and eeked out the 2000 series cards. This may just serve as a kick in the pants to Nvidia. But I certainly don't mind relishing ATI drubbing Nvidia in the dirt for a little while. hehe. Nvidia has been kind of arrogant over the past few years. But nice try on the spin Nvidia, but we see through it.

superbad

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Well, they won't dissapear. ATI or NVIDIA are here to stay, just these days, NVIDIA made a stupid statement. They'll do DX11 cards soon, but, till then, NVIDIA cards will be competitive. They just lacked behind for a while, which is normal. This is competition and we all need it and even ATI and NVIDIA need each other, more than many of us need an GTX295 or an HD5800 card ! Be sure of that.
Probably, at some point in time, Intel will be competitive in gaming, slowly and S# will have a comeback, slowly, like a shy underdog. They'll make their money from cheap laptops and all sorts of mobile devices and yes, there will be a big fight. There are a lot of money, and maybe NVIDIA tries to say that GAMING, is no longer the only driving force behind GPU's. Now there are the mobile devices also and is true. More laptops and fancy cell phones and consoles, combined, are sold, than gaming graphic cards.
I guess that's what they try to say, not that they'll stop developing gaming cards. No one says that and as you can see, their GPU's are still strong in all fields as they will be in the future. So, no need to worry, better be glad cause there is competition and there is ATI and NVIDIA on the market who make excelent graphic cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.