Question NVIDIA / DirectX issues after running 256 compatibility mode

May 26, 2021
Hi... very weird problem here on windows 7 any ideas?

Basically my windows 7 64bit system was working fine with geforce gtx770 and directx 11.

I picked up old copy of max payne 2 and tried to get it running by using 98 then 95 with 256 colour compatibility mode settings.

The game still would not run but after I did this all other games are displaying with purple tint, the display seems to wobble somewhat, and there are bad artifacts towards the top of screen!

I think in trying to get max payne working I might have fiddled with the nvidia settings but have since uninstalled the geforce drivers, reinstalled them, and restored control panel settings to defaults.

System restore did not fix either.

Im thinking directx issue but dxdiag doesnt report any problems. Really dont want to have to rebuild system which it's looking like now!

Anyone come across similar?

Last edited:
May 26, 2021
Ah this is wierd... im running a samsung tv and noticed when games enter fullscreen the tv says its switching to 75hz and colours are messed up as described.

Im sure it used to report 60hz at when switching to fullscreen mode so just tried system on monitor which fine!

Something definitely changed when I tried to run stuff in 95 compatibility mode. Very curious....