Nvidia Display Driver Stopped Responding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
So, I just bought a new build just recently off of Newegg. I have the Haswell i7-4770k, an MSI GTX 770 Lightning, ASUS Z87-A motherboard, a SeaSonic 620W PSU, 16GB memory, etc.

The issue I'm having is with Assassin's Creed IV, and Battlefield 4, the display driver always crashes. Both monitors will flash black, and then the games become unresponsive (and never recover). With Battlefield I can sometimes go hours without this happening, and sometimes 5 minutes. With Assassin's Creed it happens as soon as I get into the game. Trying to just start the campaign, I run up a tree and boom, crash.

I've updated Nvidia drivers, I've used the beta, and most recent stable build, checked all my other drivers, I've stress tested the CPU and the GPU, and even both at the same time, I've pulled RAM sticks, I've checked CPU and GPU temps (no overheating), I've unplugged one monitor, I've lowered graphics, etc. etc. etc. Still keeps happening. I have no idea what to do anymore. What else could be causing this?

well its past my bed time . but like i said there may be an update you need that there holding back seeing that i am now [i guess] fully up to date with them my stuff seems to be good but i did fight things just like you and now i fire right up and run so dont dispair you may be missing that one thing from bill thats holding you up. mine was so bad i was ready to chunk it in the trash and it took some time to get stright way more then it should have been. i been building for a long time just to keep things up to date so i am no pro, but the last builds have been nothing but a headacke. i rember the first two or three builds slaped togeather fired right up and ran good but the last 2 just a mess. now i'm looking to do my first intel build thinking that i was done with amd [fanboy] but it looks like its the same issues nomatter who you build. but i am looking at somthing like what you got with the i5-k. and i got a 7850 from a build that i did not use it in and some 2x8gb g-skill ripjaws.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
Yeah, the 2 8GB Ripjaws are what I've got in this. So it appears I may have found the problem. I think I have a faulty PCI-e slot. The slot that is the 'preferred' slot on my MOBO or whatever. I took the card out of that and put it into the second one, and have been running ACIV for 30 minutes now with no crash, whereas I was getting a BSOD every few minutes after I stopped posting in the thread. I'll keep playing this for a bit, and try BF4's campaign (which was also causing fairly consistent crashes) and see what happens there. If I can't reproduce the issue again, I'll just get the better MOBO like I was planning and return this one.

just for fun try this use only one stick of memory and run it around like you are and see how long it goes these g-skills that were being used on an asus board and heres what i found..... as long as i was useing one stick and keept the bios at defult the board ran real good no crash no bsod in fact its the one i am on now
i wish i could get you the cpu--z screen shot , but i fooled with this thing for a month before i came up with this . but if i set everything up in the bios with 2 sticks it was right back to bsod, it may come right at startup or 2hrs or a day but you can count on it crashing. but now with just one stick and bios at defult this thing runs 24-7 and i game on it alot with no issues and it benches fine. so theres somthing for you to try. [it did not matter witch stick i used as long as it was just one.] and they tersted good per stick but seemed that they just did not work togeather. go figure. i have got this one stick in the slot closest to the cpu now [but if i remember it did not matter witch slot each one was in as long as it was one stick] so i dont know if its an asus issue or a g-skill issue but the setup i tryed to explain to you has worked without a hicup for a long time

f3-12800cl-10d-16gbxl 2x8 g-skill
asus sabertooth990fz

well i got the screenshots but have not figured out how to get them on here.

well i see now how to, but thats too much work going to get a photobucket account and all that sorry

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013

Yeah, I've already done the one stick thing, and was still getting it, and it's not the PCI-e slot. I have another video card I can try, only problem is I don't know if it's good enough to really run the games that are causing me to blue screen. :l It's a Radeon 5770 HD.

Egitel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2013
I have looked at that stuff, yes, and ya know, you actually led me to two different answers that were causing the issue. Thanks a bunch. One: AI Suite III (the software ASUS sends with their motherboards as an overclocking utility) was causing the BIOS to apply an overclock even when I didn't want it to. I uninstalled AI Suite, which was recommended on one of the links you gave me, and also reset BIOS to load optimized defaults (again). Thanks so much for the help, that was very frustrating.