[SOLVED] Nvidia Display Issue

Jan 13, 2019
I recently installed an MSI Nvidia GTX 1060 ti into my machine. I have 1 DVI-D (Dual Link) adapter to VGA plugged into it to one monitor, and an HDMI to another. The HDMI monitor works fine, the VGA adapted monitor shows no connection.

Previously (just yesterday) I had a GTX 770 in my machine only it was a DVI-I (Dual link) instead of the DVI-D and both displays were working without issue.

Any ideas? All the drivers are installed properly, no errors of any kind.

Thanks in advance.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P2.00, 10/1/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASRock
BaseBoard Product Z75 Pro3
BaseBoard Version
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.17763.194"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.8 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.4 GB
Page File Space 2.88 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Solution
I suspect you have a passive dvi to vga adapter which will not work with the DVI-D port on the 1060. The DVI-D port on the 1060 requires an active adapter/converter to go to VGA as the 1060 has no native analog support.
Jan 13, 2019
I have since received my active adapter. When I boot my computer with it, it now displays during bootup (displays my mobo logo and the windows loading screens), but just before it reaches sign in it shows no signal then my HDMI display picks up. When I log into my machine I attempt to detect the other monitor (the DVI-D active adapter) but nothing happens. I attempted to detect it from the nvidia control panel, it cannot detect it.

Am I missing a step? I booted my machine down, connected the adapter to my monitor's VGA cable, then the DVI-D end of the adapter to the machine, and booted up.

This is the adapter now in use: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DVI-D-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00C93JQXS

Jan 13, 2019
The adapter did not come with a USB power cable.

I have gotten the monitor working by uninstalling the display drivers, rebooting, and reinstalling.

However, the display on the monitor is slightly dim and blurry. The resolution is set correctly.

Jan 13, 2019
There is nowhere on the adapter where another cable could be plugged into. At this point I don't think the issue is with the cable as the monitor is working. It is just a matter of it being slightly dim and blurry.

bignastyid

Titan

This is typical(in my experience) of the non externally powered active dvi-d to vga adapters which is why I recommended the powered adapter. I'd contact Amazon because they sent you the wrong adapter if you are lacking a usb port for power.