Nvidia Driver Bug Stops Overclocking; Fix Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I'm glad they are at least acknowledging this. I already rolled back my drivers due to this. Hopefully a fix comes soon. Ati is becoming more and more tempting..

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
I'm very happy an article like this came up and that NVIDIA will be fixing it, I upgraded to 196 a day ago and EVGA Precision quit, so I went back to 195.62

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
glad i forgot to check for updated drivers this week... i'll just forget again until next week and hopefully this will be sorted out. Not a huge deal, everything i play is perfectly stable and performs great as is. Except crysis in 3d, and I doubt this driver version will really improve that for a single GPU.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
Maybe I'm going out on a limb here.. I think this wasn't a mistake and something they will, be utilizing here soon to make people pay more money for a said card that can overclock. I'm willing to bet this is a way to make more money in the long run. I also believe that if this was implemented it would get cracked right away though I will add. Prepare to get locked down even more people.

G

This driver also makes crysis wars stutter like crazy and introduces mouse lag into some old opengl games (like quake 3 for example), they must have made some kind of major change.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
FAIL! @ all you people complaining. So there is nothing wrong with the actual drivers, only with compatibility with some overclocking tools? So what? At least they have taken note and will fix it, unlike ATi on the majority of issues WHEN they were bad. ATi are OK now but when they were bad and got their reputation they were absolutely awful and the errors were within the actual ATi drivers themselves. I always tend to stay one driver set behind just to see how they go, just for this sort of reason and its not like you can't get the last driver to roll back to. It seems that the GPU community especially is just overflowing with little girls who want to cry, cry, cry...

The question is HOW was this not found in the BETA version(195.81) of the drivers?????
(Damn the lack of an Edit button)

I'v been running 195.81 and RivaTuner, ATITool, Precision worked fine on those drivers on 8400GS / 8800GS / 9800GTX respectively. How in the world did nVidia manage to make the final release worse than Beta?

claudeb

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
I insstalled it yesterday and was like WTF afterburner isn't working. All it did when i went to apply is drop them to stock.

Afterburner by the way is sick. I use it with asus card because smartdoctor is crap

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
LOL I installed these drivers last night and wondered why EVGA Precision was showing no shader clock value at all. Now it makes sense.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
another day, another nvidia driver bug... it's pretty much come down to having to install a different driver for each game to get the best performance...

screw nvidia

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]NaturalViolence[/nom]This driver also makes crysis wars stutter like crazy and introduces mouse lag into some old opengl games (like quake 3 for example), they must have made some kind of major change.[/citation]
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]another day, another nvidia driver bug... it's pretty much come down to having to install a different driver for each game to get the best performance...screw nvidia[/citation]
Sad but true. Take this as an example: in Champions Online, the last nvidia driver release that did not suffer from constant stuttering (especially if you turn on AA and other pretties) was somewhere in the 190 series (190.62 I think). All the drivers after that stuttered in this game on most Nvidia systems, even overkill systems. This new WHQL driver release actually finally fixed this problem - I tested it on a friend's 9800 GT powered machine. Works beautifully.

But if what NaturalViolence said is true, they broke some other games. :( Meanwhile, I haven't had any performance issues in Champions with my 4850, through numerous driver revisions. I guess in either case though, the newest driver isn't always the best one. I still like the results of the lastest WHQL Nvidia driver though, broken overclocking aside.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
good thing i did not update the drivers just yet, lol. no matter what everyones is saying about nvidia in my personal opinion they still are a very good company and their products are better than ati. i have had products from both companies and in the end i think nvidia drivers and setup is a lot more forgiving. every once in a while everyone is allowed to make a few mistakes, as long as they rush to fix them it's all good. take a look at MS, they have had issues with every new OS release yet they are still on top, and that's why they put out service packs. wait till fermi comes out. btw, overclocking a video card for a 5fps increase is not worth the trouble in my own opinion.

KC8DKT

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
people still use software overclocking? Just flash the bios and be done with it if you know your OC settings. One less TSR!

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]shadow187[/nom]Who's the major GPU company with bad drivers now? 8)[/citation]

In this one instance or as a whole? The answer wont be the same depending on what you are really asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.