Question NVIDIA driver not working with second monitor

Oct 29, 2020
Hi all,

I'm using a GTX 1650 Super, and the HDMI output is working fine. But when I try to plug in a second screen to the DP output, the screen flickers and only shows static.
I'm almost certain this is a driver issue, but I can't solve it. I'm also guessing that it's because I'm trying to use a laptop screen as my second monitor. If I had another desktop monitor, I'm guessing the DP output would work fine. So it's something about the NVIDIA driver not being compatible with my laptop screen.

Here's what I know:
  • The DP output from the GPU works fine, because the first (HDMI) monitor also works on DP.
  • The second screen (which is a laptop screen from a Thinkpad P50s) works perfectly well, and I can test it with my P50s laptop.
  • The second screen is not the issue, because I have two of them and they both have the same problem.
  • The LCD controller I am using is not the issue, because I can use the second screen perfectly well using the DP output from my laptop. It only flickers when my PC is outputting DP.
  • The second screen works perfectly well as a monitor when the PC is in safe mode, or when I have disable the graphics card driver in normal mode.
Here's some behavior:
  • Using the latest NVIDIA driver, I get a slight improvement over my old driver, in that I get about 0.25 seconds of screen on-time every time I turn the display off and on again, before it goes back to flickering static. See my video.
  • Using older NVIDIA drivers, I don't even get that quarter-second of on-time, it just goes straight to flickering static.
I'm in contact with NVIDIA also, and they have had me try using DDU and the latest driver, which only got me that quarter-second of on-time. I've also tried their "DCH hotfix" driver, which did not help.

Is there a way to force the driver to output a "dumbed down" signal, if that even exists? To get it to stop trying to handshake with the second screen, and instead only output video? I'm no expert btw.
I'd really appreciate some help or insight, if anyone knows what might allow me to use this second screen!

Specs:
  • Windows 10 Home 64 bit
  • MSI PRO B450M PRO-M2 MAX AM4 (BIOS version A.70, latest)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (no overclocking), stock cooler
  • 2x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200
  • Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC 4G
  • Crucial P2 NVMe M.2 SSD, 500GB
  • EVGA 500W 80+

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY