[SOLVED] Nvidia driver problem freeze in games

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
I have problem with my GTX 650 2GB always in gta5 or apex or in another high game my screen freeze then back me to Desktop aaand in Event Viewer popup msg Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I was try reinstall drivers with DDU, format hard drive, Install new driver, MSI afterburner clock -50 and -100, verify installation of game, max power usage and I don't even know what I wanted to do anymore. Does anyone know how to fix it? My spec is i5 8500, 8gb RAM Kingston hiper black fury 2666, PSU Chieftec ECO 700w, 1TB WD Blue and Windows 10, Mobo Gigabyte z370 hd3p

Solution
My budget is around 220€ and i found new GPU https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...-Novo--84161348-oglas.htm?filter_id=351604809 btw this guy buys a GPU from the EU and sells it in my country Serbia and it is much cheaper than in the store and there is only one problem here and that is a guarantee, if is somthing go wrong with GPU i will must wait around 30 day for fix.
Yeah that would be loads better than your 650, and probably even run cooler. It's 310mm long though, so just make sure you measure your case carefully so you know it will fit it.

I would also recommend making use of that free vent slot with a rear fan addition.

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for replay, its used card and in MSI Afterburner is showing GPU max temperature in gta5 was 69C and CPU around 60C but in Gigabyte SIV is max CPU temp 55 and GPU 60C soo 2 programs with 2 different temperature..

Your 650 is pretty weak, less than half the power of the recommended 660. It will run GTA V, but you need to go easy on settings. That may mean a combination of Low/Med settings at best. Use FPS as a guide, try to stay at or close to 60 FPS.

Also, what OS are you running? W10 build 1903 has had various freeze/crash issues on some games, and Nvidia has even been able to recreate it in some of the newer ones like Gears 5.

There's been a couple cumulative updates for 1903, one a month or so ago, and one about a week ago. After the last one installed I stopped having freeze crashes in Gears 5 and Wolfenstein Youngblood.

That said, in the case of older GPU models, it's often necessary to roll back the graphics driver until you find one that works well, especially with Nvidia GPUs. This is also a thing where you may need to ask on the GTA V forum for advice on that particular GPU as to what driver works best.

Lastly, not sure I'd trust that PSU. Chieftec is mostly a very cheap brand. The OEM supplier for their ECO series is Sirtec, and it only has a 2 yr warranty. The Arena, Super, Turbo, and Nitro models of Chieftec were much better, and made by Channel Well Tech. Pretty sure none of those are made anymore though.

Being a 700w unit and running just a GTX 650 isn't exactly going to put much demand on the PSU though. It's more about a concern of quality, not power output.

Last edited:

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for replay and new info. I know my GPU is weak but i still can't believe because look at this, i have very old ATI HD 4650 DDR2 with 1GB i was use this card just for test and he have 9-16FPS in online but with 0 crash, how is that possible if is GTX 650 who have much more power and memory and he crash?

My OS is Win10 pro 1903 build 18362.418 but i think windows is not a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion i will try today with GTA5 forum, maybe i can find better old driver but just maybe :D

About PSU, i know Chieftec is not popular PSU in EU but for me is good because i was have some time new Corsair RM750x white series 80+gold, a good friend recommended it to me and everyone praised it to be best PSU but not for me because after a while it started giving me not so stable current into my MOBO and i was angry and sold that new PSU then buy Chieftec because I had Chieftech on my old computer for about 6 years and it never failed me.

My OS is Win10 pro 1903 build 18362.418 but i think windows is not a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion i will try today with GTA5 forum, maybe i can find better old driver but just maybe

I had Chieftech on my old computer for about 6 years and it never failed me.
Do you have the last 1903 cumulative update that came out though? It had a fix for false errors being generated. If you're getting out of memory or GPU stopped responding errors (both of which caused crashes in the 2 games I mentioned), that may be what you need.

What GPU driver are you currently using? Also, I highly recommend clean installs regarding drivers.

Your older Chieftec may have been one of the ones made by Channel Well.

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
I think so, last cumulative win update from history is October 8, 2019 — KB4517389 (OS Build 18362.418) correct me if I'm wrong. And my GPU driver is 436.30 desktop win10 64bit from Nvidia site and from Device Manager is 26.21.14.3630 from 5.9.2019. I was thinking maybe if i flash bios of my GPU or use Nvidia patcher maybe that can fix driver crash idk, i'm out of idea (i have last one and that is i need to buy new GPU)

It's either the power supply or the video card. 600 watts is fine, but the brand is terrible. Replace it, even if it doesn't doesn't fix your current issue (it will cause an issue down the road even if it didn't cause this one). Once a good power supply is in, if the problem does return, it's probanly going to be the video card.

I think so, last cumulative win update from history is October 8, 2019 — KB4517389 (OS Build 18362.418) correct me if I'm wrong. And my GPU driver is 436.30 desktop win10 64bit from Nvidia site and from Device Manager is 26.21.14.3630 from 5.9.2019. I was thinking maybe if i flash bios of my GPU or use Nvidia patcher maybe that can fix driver crash idk, i'm out of idea (i have last one and that is i need to buy new GPU)
Yeah I'm pretty sure that's the update that fixed my problem.

Latest Nvidia driver is now 436.48. Try installing that with Nvidia's Perform clean install option. If it doesn't fix things, try asking on GTA V forums what driver others are saying works best on a 650. You may however get no responses.

Better to try a new GPU if you can afford it. GPUs can easily get bricked with a BIOS flash if things go wrong, and it's good to have a GPU as a backup, even if it's one that's not so powerful.

Have you tried SFC or malware scans just to see if the crash is caused by corrupt sys files or malware btw?

SFC https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Malwarebytes https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Thanks for info about new update, i just install and somthing is strange with my temperature when i go in game now (gta5) last time i checked my temp in MSI Afterburner idle temp 38-45C now is 33-36C and in game was around 70C now is 83C recorded but 30min in game without crash and that is good i think.

Uh, i was search for cheap new GPU and can't find any good Nvidia for gaming high-ultra settings, only AMD like RX580 8gb and etc..

Yess i did try SFC and defrag my HDD and all is working normal. And like i said i know its GPU problem but i don't know why she crash, i tested 3 graphic (2 graphic is from my friends) for now and all 3 working perfect (gtx 1060 6gb ddr5 gt730 4gb ddr3 and ATI HD 4650 1gb ddr2 )

...my temp in MSI Afterburner idle temp 38-45C now is 33-36C and in game was around 70C now is 83C recorded but 30min in game without crash and that is good i think.
83c is pretty much the thermal ceiling for Nvidia GPUs lately. When at their factory specified ceiling, they will throttle down to stay at that temp, which of course affects performance. I'm pretty sure the reference 650 had a tiny prop fan and HS instead of the blower style fan and shroud the 650 Ti had.

That said, the case you use can matter a lot on temps. Even if it's not the greatest case ventilation wise, sometimes you can add just a couple fans and improve temps a fair bit. What case are you using btw? I would not recommend adding fans unless you have a spare 120mm or two, or perhaps a friend has 1 or 2 they can give you.

As I said, any money you can spare is better spent on a better GPU. If you mention your max budget for a GPU and what country you're in, I can recommend one.

Uh, i was search for cheap new GPU and can't find any good Nvidia for gaming high-ultra settings, only AMD like RX580 8gb and etc..
I know you prefer Nvidia, and I get why, but the RX 580 performs roughly the same as a 1060 6GB, and starts at $150, whereas the 1060 6GB starts at $210.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-geforce-gtx-1660-gaming-x/28.html

Is your friend willing to sell his 1060 6GB?

Last edited:

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
Here is 2 pic with my GPU what it looked like when i bought it https://prnt.sc/pjuxxz https://prnt.sc/pjuy6e . Yess i know is pretty much 83C for Nvidia and i look at MSI Afterburner speed fan on GPU and he show around 60-67% fan speed on 80-83C while i'm in game so maybe i need manually put a fan speed around 80-85%? and almost forget, yesterday I replaced the thermal paste, waited 10 minutes and then put everything back in place my thermal paste is Cooler Master.

My case is not rly good and trust me i can't find a single tag on it and i can put 1 extra 120mm fan on back side and that is it, it was purchased 2010y as a finished configuration in the store and the old components were sold so I inserted new ones inside the case.

I know you prefer Nvidia, and I get why, but the RX 580 performs roughly the same as a 1060 6GB, and starts at $150, whereas the 1060 6GB starts at $210.
That is true about RX 580 and 1060 maybe i'm wrong but RX from 560 to 580 is all problematic what i hear from friends and google and that is one of reason why i can't trust on AMD and pref for Nvidia.

My budget is around 220€ and i found new GPU https://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Kom...-Novo--84161348-oglas.htm?filter_id=351604809 btw this guy buys a GPU from the EU and sells it in my country Serbia and it is much cheaper than in the store and there is only one problem here and that is a guarantee, if is somthing go wrong with GPU i will must wait around 30 day for fix.

Is your friend willing to sell his 1060 6GB?
No, bought it some 20 days ago and is happy with it for now

Yeah that would be loads better than your 650, and probably even run cooler. It's 310mm long though, so just make sure you measure your case carefully so you know it will fit it.

I would also recommend making use of that free vent slot with a rear fan addition.

Reactions: ivanzlocko
Solution

ivanzlocko

Reputable
Nov 27, 2017
@Frag Maniac Thanks for all, we solved almost everything so I have to buy new graphics because the old one is no use anymore i mean he is good for classic games like CSGO and League of Legends and etc but not for new released. Thanks again :D