[SOLVED] Nvidia driver update crashes on new build

Sep 12, 2019
I just built my first computer and every time I try to update the video card driver from Nvidia, the screen loses signal during the installation process, leaving a black screen. I've waited up to 15 minutes, but the screen does not come back. If I restart the computer, the boot menu is visible, but the moment it is supposed to go to the windows 10 login screen, the screen is black again. The only thing I can do at this point to fix it is a system restore or reinstall windows.

Other things to note:
I've tried using DDU to remove the existing Nvidia drivers in boot mode, and install the latest drivers.
I've downloaded the driver using gigabyte's CD, Nvidia website, and through Nvidia experience. The latest driver version at the time is 436.30 for RTX 2070 Super.
The issue exists on previous versions of the driver too.
If I do a fresh install of Windows 10, the display is set to a recommended resolution of 1024x768 and will not go past 1280x1024.
I do recall once trying to restart after the crash, and I got a BSOD saying something along the lines of "critical process..."
If I look at the device manager, the PCIe components are all shown as missing drivers, theres no sign on my GPU there

My specs are the following:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb
Storage: Western Digital Black NVMe 500gb SSD
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC
PSU: Corsair RMx 650W
Monitor: Samsung U28E590D (waiting for my new one to show up)

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts