Question Nvidia Driver Update Issues ?

May 22, 2022
Hi all,
After having not used my PC in a while I decided to update my graphics drivers (I have a 1060) and this led to the picture going to 800x800 and all "static". I could just about make out the picture and downloaded an older driver from google. This did nothing so I tried restarting my PC. When I launch the PC, it takes a while of doing nothing then the monitor comes on with just that 800x800 box just this time completely grey. I've tried opening the PC and removing everything including the bios battery but this has done nothing. I don't mind wiping my PC so I have tried launching in safe mode by turning it on and off repeatedly but this hasn't helped at all as I don't really know when to turn it off when doing this. As I haven't been able to boot in safe mode I am now all out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am very stuck here!!

May 22, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

try safe mode?
ryzen 1600x
gigabyte gaming 3 mobo I think
Corsair cv650 psu
gtx 1060 6gb
16gb corsair vengeance 2400Hz

I've tried to get the computer into safe mode but have not been successful at all (turning pc on and off over and over again)

When I turn the computer on everything seems normal with the fans, lights etc so I didn't think it could be PSU but I may be wrong, I'm just guessing to be honest!

Thanks for the reply!

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017
ryzen 1600x
gigabyte gaming 3 mobo I think
Corsair cv650 psu
gtx 1060 6gb
16gb corsair vengeance 2400Hz

I've tried to get the computer into safe mode but have not been successful at all (turning pc on and off over and over again)

When I turn the computer on everything seems normal with the fans, lights etc so I didn't think it could be PSU but I may be wrong, I'm just guessing to be honest!

Thanks for the reply!
You can't get into advanced repair? Do you have windows on a flash drive or the ability to make one?

May 22, 2022
You can't get into advanced repair? Do you have windows on a flash drive or the ability to make one?
Haven't been able to get into advanced repair no, and I tried putting windows on a flash drive but it just did exactly the same thing, even tried unplugging the SSDs and HDD with the flash drive plugged in but still nothing

May 22, 2022
Quick update, PSU hasn't arrived yet but I just tried resetting the CMOS again and it worked this time. Managed to launch windows and everything perfectly normally so I didn't do anything. I then shut down the PC to move it to where I want it, and the same issue happened again with the small grey box. I'm very confused as to what the issue could be. I don't mind buying a new GPU if that could be it but only want to if it will definitely help.

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

May 22, 2022
I managed to boot into safe mode randomly and have fully reset windows. The issue is still there. I'm feeling I should just bite the bullet and get a new GPU, anymore help would greatly appreciated before I go ahead and get the GPU