NVIDIA - Drivers an issue?

ellford

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Years ago I used to run Nvidia cards, but what I found is Nvidia would update their video card drivers almost weekly and would fix one thing, but break 2-3 others.

Ever since then, I switched to Radeon cards and I've never had an issue.

I'm debating about at GTX 1060 card over a Radeon Rx570 or Rx580, but I keep thinking back to Nvidia pushing their broken drivers onto everyone.

I know this is an odd question, but is Nvidia still doing this (pushing broken drivers to everyone), or in the past 5-6 years have they stopped this process? I'm really looking for input from those of you that have been running Nvidia.

Thanks,

Solution
The single card drivers seem fine, it was the SLI drivers that are pretty terrible and can be broken (IMO) when games made major updates or if SLI drivers even existed in the first place for a game.

TBH I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, I've been using both companies in different systems now for quite awhile and have had no issues. I've been using Nvidia in mine and my buddy is using my old system (X4 965/290/4gb RAM) so I help keep the drivers up to date and he has no issues. The only issue now is the pricing for GPU's is way overpriced.

WildCard999

Titan
The single card drivers seem fine, it was the SLI drivers that are pretty terrible and can be broken (IMO) when games made major updates or if SLI drivers even existed in the first place for a game.

TBH I don't think you can go wrong with either at this point, I've been using both companies in different systems now for quite awhile and have had no issues. I've been using Nvidia in mine and my buddy is using my old system (X4 965/290/4gb RAM) so I help keep the drivers up to date and he has no issues. The only issue now is the pricing for GPU's is way overpriced.

Solution

4745454b

Titan
Only thing I've noticed with Nvidia drivers is they seem to stop supporting cards faster than AMD. I am pro AMD so maybe its just my bias, but I feel they End of Life (EOL) cards faster than AMD does. As mentioned above however it's not like either camp is bad. I've flipped camps every time I upgraded my last cards, starting with my 9700pro, and ending with my GTX460. (and then I flipped again and I'm using an R9 280.) Neither card really gave me any issues and I'm tempted to flip again to the 1050TI or 1060. But my current card works just fine so I'll keep it until I need to upgrade again.