[SOLVED] Nvidia drivers Dch or Standard

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I had standard nvidia drivers but windows installed dch auto -.- i can't go back to standard but i can use ddu to uninstall the driver and download standard so any suggestions?

Solution
Yes, you already know the solution. Use the DDU tool to re-install the GPU drivers. Do this in SAFE MODE though.

By the way, DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check/confirm which display driver type is installed, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.
Yes, you already know the solution. Use the DDU tool to re-install the GPU drivers. Do this in SAFE MODE though.

By the way, DCH drivers cannot be installed over Standard Drivers, and Standard Drivers cannot be installed over DCH Drivers. The choice must be made after a cleaning via DDU.

To check/confirm which display driver type is installed, right-click over the Windows desktop -> select NVIDIA Control Panel -> click on the System Information link on the bottom left hand corner of the NVIDIA Control Panel -> look at text that follows “Driver Type”. You should see one of the following : DCH or Standard, assuming you are able to install the drivers.

Last edited:
Solution

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019

I want to know which one is better to use

It's not a question of which is better, rather which one to install. Because those are 2 different driver types, and it depends on what kind of system/PC you have. Are you using an OEM prebuilt PC ? If YES, then install the DCH drivers.

Microsoft DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps) drivers refers to a new Windows 10 driver package preinstalled by OEMs implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm. While the base core component files remain the same, the way DCH drivers are packaged differs from previous Legacy (Standard) drivers.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019
It's not a question of which is better, rather which one to install. Because those are 2 different driver types, and it depends on what kind of system/PC you have. Are you using an OEM prebuilt PC ? If YES, then install the DCH drivers.

Microsoft DCH (Declarative Componentized Hardware supported apps) drivers refers to a new Windows 10 driver package preinstalled by OEMs implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm. While the base core component files remain the same, the way DCH drivers are packaged differs from previous Legacy (Standard) drivers.

I have a little twist to the story. I have an Nvidia GTX 1650 card purchased as part of a system build and a Quadro P4000 card. When I try to install the Standard Drivers it tells me I need a DCH Driver and when I try to install the DCH Driver it tells me I need a Standard Driver. The problem is that the two boards use a driver that results in Conflicts in the install and neither one works well. Now I am trying to find a graphics card from Nvidia that will peacefully coexist with the Quadro.