Nvidia drivers

gmosher

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
:cry: I have 2 homemade computers. Both use Nvidia graphics cards. The older one has an 8800 ultra the newer one has a gtx 295. I use dual screen capabilities with the 8800 ultra. One monitor being a Samsung 37" HDTV with HDMI to DVI connection. The second is a 19" Samsung with DVI to DVI connection. I had no problem using using both screens simultaneously in the past and sliding items from one screen to another. Also watching movies stored on my computer on either screen using full screen or reduced size. Both screens had different resolutions. About 6 months ago I updated my Nvidia drivers and the problems started. I kept trying different drivers and found that the newer the driver the worse the problems. The secondary monitor would not work properly, it would lock up with what appeared to be a frame rate of 2 sec's per frame and also flickering then the primary screen would do the same thing. I rolled back the driver but the problem would not go away. I tried the newest driver 195.62 and the log on screen would not fully load and I could not log on. I started in safe mode and removed the driver and rebooted. The computer started in VGA with only one monitor available with no Nvidia driver. I reloaded older drivers 182.06 and 181.22 and was able to restore start up and both screens working but the same problems were there. I then tried the newest beta release driver 195.81 but then I could not even start in safe mode. I was able to get into BIOS and went to video settings and found the setting in AUTO. Since I could not get the computer started I changed this setting in desperation to Internal IGD. I then rebooted and now have a " Your VGA cable is not connected check the connection" message floating on my Samsung screen. The start up stopped with the small E7 code on the bottom right hand side of the screen where the F2 and F8 code appear during normal start-up. What is the problem and how can I get the computer started again and restore the BIOS setting to AUTO? Is this a driver problem or conflicting software or an MS Windows update problem? I am starting to have similar problems with my new computer which has dual video cards in the gtx 295. I have 2 dell 24" monitors on one card and a 44" HDTV on the other. Everything worked fine until driver update. I am not attempting to fix this until the issue can be identified and resolved on the older computer.

Some other symptoms noticed:

1) When checking drivers for both adapters and monitors the secondary monitor would have have Microsoft 2001 driver loaded the other 3 showed the Nvidia driver loaded. How could this be for HD TV?

2) When attempting to update the microsoft 2001driver with Nvidia driver after reboot the Nvidia drivers were no longer installed. I had to reinstall them again. :fou:

gmosher

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009

I managed to get into BIOS by using the BIOS jumpers but still can't get into safe mode. I removed the graphics card and the problem remains.