Nvidia, Epic Announced 3D Added to Unreal Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedface

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I've never played anything in 3D. but this card is gonna be so overpriced (i hope not) that i may not get it and go with a 5870

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
The real question is, how will this effect your eyes in the long run and of course its "realistic" its 3d! i can imagine the crytech engine2 or even the new one crytech engine 3 in 3d! THAT must be a literal blast to play! Crysis 2 will have 3d so I truly cant wait for this. i only wish drivers were optimized to work 3d on CURRENT LCD tv's with at least 100hz instead of having to purchase an actualt 3d certified LCD/O-LED

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]The real question is, how will this effect your eyes in the long run [/citation]

Yeah, I tried that goggles that came with the Asus Geforce3 Ti200 and felt sick after 5 minutes of usage.

I like the idea, but please take extra care testing it!

dafin0

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
last week i got myself a 22' 3D monitor and the nvidia glasses... i must say it is pretty dam cool, maybe not $600(AUD)cool but i do think it really adds to the game play.

and for anyone wondering, yes at first it does kinda mess with your eyes, but after about 15 min then a brake your eyes/brain are used to it.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nfail[/nom]more proprietary nVidia bull i'd guess.[/citation]

Ah yes, the inevitable anti-nVidia troll. Thank you for showing up! Will you be here all week?

I'm just hoping for some 3d certified IPS panels. I really can't handle looking at TN panels anymore.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i hate this 3D crap. did i just go back in time to the 1970's or what?[/citation]
3D is actually taking off quite a bit, and the technology has improved vastly since the mid 20th century (...70's?). Sony will make the PS3 3D capable in games and Blu-ray through a firmware update this summer, a whole wave of 3D capable televisions and Blu-ray players are about to come out along with HDMI 1.4, and Nvidia is leading the way as well on the PC. And o ya, have seen or heard about Avatar?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I think this looks bad for Epic. They sell game engines, yet they are limiting the engine by catering to a specific market share. Not a good idea at all for Epic. They should have used Bullet Physics and and OpenCL version of Stereoscopic vision. They would sell more engine rights if they catered to the whole market instead of just nVidia. Especially with ATI having the better GPUs currently.
Compared to the Unreal 2 Engine, the Unreal 3 engine has sold far less. This just goes to show that Epic has lost focus on what truly matters in making a middle-ware engine. Options that cater to the greatest amount of users.

BPT747

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I played unreal in 3d nearly 10 years ago, why do they keep saying 3d is new, it just never caught on until Avatar.

random_yggdrasil

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
Yes I remember having some 3D ADI goggles that were for a Nvidia card some years ago it was cool I admit but not some thing I used much.

Anti-Nvidia trolls seem to come to the conversation more when Nvidia brings some thing new to the table than they do when a ATI card comes out lol

baracubra

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2008
I have 3D and I gotta tell ya, looks amazing in some of the recent games! I'm really glad that game engine devs are begining to adopt this tech and program with 3D in mind, b/c some of the older "3D-capable" games such as COD4 look pretty bad in 3D. Some of the textures and objects/models are ridiculously plain and "dead" when viewed in 3D..

However, BC2 has me completely blown away, the 3D models and integration is superb.

Hehe, now all thats left is picking up 2 new fermi cards and another 2 120Hz to complete the picture :D

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
Anyone know if theres a group trying to write a standard for passive 3D that everyone can use? Same glasses for your TV/PS3/PC. Otherwise, you'll have glasses that look like a prop from National Treasure.

champy86

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
I do not understand all the people complaining about stereo 3D.
Real life is 3D so why do they want to stick with 2D in games/video/...

It is like saying stereo sound is bad and wanting sound in mono!
With this kind of people, we would never have 7.1 sound and we would be stuck with black and white picture.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
The unreal engine has been historically pretty poor with 3D. I wonder how they are going to change the engine in order to minimize the numerous artifacts? BTW... 3D doubters. I built a 3D PC over a year ago... and the effect is DEFINITELY astounding. Much more so than 8X AA. Everyone I've shown it too has had their mind blown. I'm not so sure of 3D TV and Movies.. My setup can run 3D movies as well.. but the effect is no where near as dramatic as it is in games.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
For those that have concerns about eyestrain... I will say that (for me) watching anything in 3D causes eyestrain. Usually I have to quit or pause playing every 45-60 minutes for a bit (but I probably should anyway). My eyes are also very sensitive.

coolronz

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I had 3D glasses back in the days of the GeForce 256. Was really hard on my eyes, I'm curious if theres any improvement. Its such a niche market, dont see it becoming mainstream anytime soon, which means no real support. Kind of like Nvidias DualView and ATIs Eyefinity. And YES I have SLI and twin monitors... Im guilty of buying into the hype.. LOL Oh yeah, I also have UT3 with PhysX turned on, which isnt that exciting to me either....

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]I think this looks bad for Epic. They sell game engines, yet they are limiting the engine by catering to a specific market share. Not a good idea at all for Epic. They should have used Bullet Physics and and OpenCL version of Stereoscopic vision. They would sell more engine rights if they catered to the whole market instead of just nVidia. Especially with ATI having the better GPUs currently.Compared to the Unreal 2 Engine, the Unreal 3 engine has sold far less. This just goes to show that Epic has lost focus on what truly matters in making a middle-ware engine. Options that cater to the greatest amount of users.[/citation]
I agree with you that I don't like seeing Epic catering to one GPU vendor. I like Epic and I love the Unreal 3 engine, but I usually prefer ATI cards.

I have to disagree on your assertion about the Unreal 3 engine not being used much though. I don't know the overall numbers, but I see it in a lot of great games. Gears of War, Mass Effect, Batman Ark-ham Asylum, Bioshock, and I think Dragon Ages (not sure though). If I were producing a FPS, I would probably go for Unreal engine.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
3D so and so years ago is not the same. So and so years ago we had CRT screens that put off more radiation. We didn't have HD or 120hz response times built into monitors. We didn't have hardly any 30" monitors either. And since then we've learned a lot more about our eyes. Optical research since 10 yrs ago has doubled what we know. So please stop your bellyaching. Also, stop worrying about who's coming out with new cool gaming features. Who cares if it's tied to one card maker. If its changing how we game, then that's really what its all about. Solid 3D gaming is gonna be sweeeeet!

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]random_yggdrasil[/nom]Anti-Nvidia trolls seem to come to the conversation more when Nvidia brings some thing new to the table than they do when a ATI card comes out lol[/citation]

No kidding. They claim to hate the nVidia and Intel, but still rush to go click on a headline with one of those company names in the title, knowing it will be about one of the two, then moan and groan about how they are so sick of hearing about the marketing engines of both. Meanwhile, nobody forced them to click. The arrived simply to try and derail any discussion by people excited about such things.

[citation][nom]coolronz[/nom]I had 3D glasses back in the days of the GeForce 256.[/citation]

Same here. I got banned from a number of Unreal Tournament servers because people thought I was cheating. It was simply devastating to be able to easily side-step groupings of rockets, then come up and nail them in the side of their ribcage with the impact hammer.

People poo pooing on 3D simply have not benefited from the level of play it gives; although admittedly less spectacular when it comes to clarity and looking at details up close. They will dwell on the costs, how ATI doesn't play with gimmicks, along with any and all possible downsides; real, possible, or perceived.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i am so sick of seeing the blatant misuse and abuse of the word 3d[/citation]

See the top of my post about nobody forcing you to click on a link. If things you read on the Internet are making you "sick", perhaps you should find things you like to read about rather than taking every opportunity to go off on a rant and poo poo on a topic?

[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]I agree with you that I don't like seeing Epic catering to one GPU vendor.[/citation]

I don't either, but until ATI comes up with its own 3D kit, any and all PC 3D is going to mention nVidia. Now that ATI has had time to make some money, we can hope they will invest in R&D to come up with a similar solution. I don't think the patents on it are too terribly expensive to license, so the only thing stopping them is shareholders taking the money instead of a little self-investment.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
oooh my i saw a movie on 3d of about 2 hours and ended really dizzy, imagine all those guys playing for about 6 hours straight!! its gonna eat their brains!!

Status
Not open for further replies.